What's new

Getting Re-acquainted with the Gillette Adjustable after an involuntary absence from shaving.

My apologies for starting with a back story, but I was hit by a drunk driver a year ago which kept me in a coma in the hospital for months during which time they had to do over 100 surgeries on me to put me back together. 2021 was surreal to say the least. When I woke up, I was so weak I couldn’t move for several more months.
The nurses helped cut my beard growth down and I awkwardly shaved the rest of it down as smooth as I could get it (not very) with the plastic disposable razors they provided.
Once home and mostly recovered, I realized that my trusty old Merkur Progress had been left in its cleaning solution all this time. It had eaten up the zinc threads and some of the bottom plate unfortunately, so I picked up a solid but sad old Gillette 195 (fatboy) from eBay.

Slim vs Fatboy vs Progress:
(This is only pertaining to my preferences and experiences. 😉)
I used a Slim a few years ago. Very good razor, but the Merkur was smoother so I ended up using that.
This time I wanted to try a fatboy since I never had before.
The eBay purchase came to me frozen and crusty with old soap scum so I soaked it and cleaned it as best I could. Someone had forced it with what looks like pliers, but it seemed to work fine after the cleaning.
The Gillette is somewhat harsher than many modern razors but very efficient. I keep it dialed down (2-5) for more smoothness.
It gives a great shave, and is actually better to me than my old Slim, because the chunkier head makes it feel smoother and gives it some great weight. I glide it on my face using only this weight, and it works out perfectly.
I thought this chunkier head would make shaving under the nose more difficult, but it gets that area perfectly, better than the Progress and perhaps even the Slim. I’m pleasantly surprised! 😊
The shorter fatter handle is also more comfortable to hold.
And let’s face it, the butterfly doors do make blade changes super easy compared to 2 or 3 piece. No parts sticking together and no hard to see notches to line up. 😉
All in all, I really like the old 195 Fatboy and at least for now I’ll be sticking with it. 😁
510517C1-1341-48F9-93D5-8B9A091ED1E0.jpeg
513575EA-0B6C-4BFC-BF80-94EA60F1B2F9.jpeg
2F11F902-9203-4CFD-9E86-6B9B34A738B2.jpeg

Good Lord, man, welcome back to the land of the living! Kudos to you, the doctors/nurses/support staff, and family, because that's quite a journey.

I'm an avowed Slim user, but I do have a Fatboy in the collection. Maybe I need to bring it out for a lap...

Thank you so much! I’m just glad to still be here! 😉
I certainly encourage it, but I do remember the Slim as being a great razor and will always be in my top-5. 😁

Welcome back !!! And be safe

I have to Slim Adjustable and nowadays I bought a lot including a Fatboy, Slim Adjustable and BlackBeauty. SA is for an old friend that I converted (to wet shaving) 1 years ago :)

And I tested all (3) SA, fatboy and BB.

Result(s);

- all the SA are the same
- Fatboy is way more gentille on the face
- BB acting as SA, only handle ergonomics is different due to its longer handle

I need to test some other Fatboys, in order to make sure that Fatboys is more smooth and gentille on the face compared to SA. But your post is supporting this idea.

Welcome back !!! And be safe

I have to Slim Adjustable and nowadays I bought a lot including a Fatboy, Slim Adjustable and BlackBeauty. SA is for an old friend that I converted (to wet shaving) 1 years ago :)

And I tested all (3) SA, fatboy and BB.

Result(s);

- all the SA are the same
- Fatboy is way more gentille on the face
- BB acting as SA, only handle ergonomics is different due to its longer handle

I need to test some other Fatboys, in order to make sure that Fatboys is more smooth and gentille on the face compared to SA. But your post is supporting this idea.
Thank you! I will! 😉
Your time with them seems to be pretty similar to what I’ve experienced. 🙂

Wow, what a story. Hope you are doing well and will be at 100% soon. Why not buy yourself a new Progress as well? If not Progress I'm sure you can find something to give you some pleasure, you deserve it!

Wow. Thank you for sharing your story. God bless your recovery.
Thank you very much, I appreciate it! 😊
Wow, what a story. Hope you are doing well and will be at 100% soon. Why not buy yourself a new Progress as well? If not Progress I'm sure you can find something to give you some pleasure, you deserve it!
thank you! Starting this year much better, that’s for sure!
I just wanted to try one for a lark, but I really like it….might get the urge to replace the Progress in the future though. 😉

Merkur is junk pot metal. He just accelerated its demise. Sounds like he prefers the slim and Fatboy to it anyway.

Welcome back brother!!! Your story was both heart wrenching and inspiring!!! I am so glad that you are well on your way mending!!! Enjoy your shaves with the Fatboy and if you need anything just let us here know!!!

Tom
Thank you Tom! I really do appreciate it! 😊

My apologies for starting with a back story, but I was hit by a drunk driver a year ago which kept me in a coma in the hospital for months during which time they had to do over 100 surgeries on me to put me back together. 2021 was surreal to say the least.
Good Lord, man, welcome back to the land of the living! Kudos to you, the doctors/nurses/support staff, and family, because that's quite a journey.

I have no experience with the razors, but all my sincere wishes for a continuation to full recovery
and a better life ahead !

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So glad to see by reading between the lines that you have decided to fight for recovery. You already know that B&B is a friendly place, but please keep us updated in your recovery, and in any way that us folks here can be of assistance.

Good to see you've come back such a far way. Shaving again must be therapeutic.
The fatboy seems to be a nicer shave in my hands than the slim. As mild or aggressive as you feel like.
Keep going, every day you're better and better. 🙌🏼

Thank you guys so much, very glad to still be around, but also to be almost back to normal.
Shaving has been very therapeutic, along with cooking, gardening, even just tying a tie, all the things I couldn’t do last year. Certainly gives you a fresh appreciation for the little things!
Those disposables were as bad an experience as I remember. Lots of nicks and razor burn with very little shaving going on. 😁
So far, this fatboy 195 has been nick and irritation free, yet really effective. (Still using 5 with the grain and 3 against, with a setting 2 for quick touch ups). 😃
Glad to be back and be hearing from everyone! 😊

Top Bottom