What's new

Getting nicks 2+ months

Hi,

With Merkur Progress @2 and astra blades, it works good for me. However, I have a lot of neck hair (dark) close together and lots of red bumps on neck even if older guy. My skin always had acneic like spots unsure of the cause on all face, specially neck. I use Pacific NW thin lather cream which I do not latter in a bowl. I use slight water with it only.

I feel there are some problems for me still.. Even on closest bbs shave, I get visible dark spots. Hence, the only option for me to do decent job is across and against the grain. Also, the lather of the cream dries fast. I found workarounds that make it not tug alot.

I realize some of the wippers is technical (maybe 2 out of 4/5) since I sometime hurry. However, it is still kinda high..

I get about 4 wippers and 6 nicks per shave. If I put no pressure at all, I miss stubble and it gets painfully long to go over it again.

3 questions:
1) what would you recommend for red bumps ? Is it aftershave + balm or some other treatment? Is the after shave stuff primary solution to get rid of this?

2) For this wippers, is it normal as much for a very close bbs shave for a redbump neck hairy guy? I tend to put slight pressure...

3) My routine is about 30 mins, I can glide atg with pressure if needed (works well on non acneic).. but some areas, i think the acne red bumps, just does not glide well. any recommendation on gliding accross skin for this type of skin?

Last edited:
Maybe more water in your lather. It sounds like you're only using a little water and the lather dries quickly. More water should make the lather slicker and might help you get a nick and weeper free shave. Just shave with the grain of your beard for a week or two. Concentrate on getting comfortable shaves with no nicks or weepers. Don't worry about closeness. Once your skin has healed, maybe add a second pass and once you can do that with no irritation, try a third ATG pass. Work on avoiding irritation and the close shaves will come eventually.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Maybe more water in your lather. It sounds like you're only using a little water and the lather dries quickly. More water should make the lather slicker and might help you get a nick and weeper free shave. Just shave with the grain of your beard for a week or two. Concentrate on getting comfortable shaves with no nicks or weepers. Don't worry about closeness. Once your skin has healed, maybe add a second pass and once you can do that with no irritation, try a third ATG pass. Work on avoiding irritation and the close shaves will come eventually.
Good advice.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hi,

With Merkur Progress @2 and astra blades, it works good for me. However, I have a lot of neck hair (dark) close together and lots of red bumps on neck even if older guy. My skin always had acneic like spots unsure of the cause on all face, specially neck. I use Pacific NW thin lather cream which I do not latter in a bowl. I use slight water with it only.

I feel there are some problems for me still.. Even on closest bbs shave, I get visible dark spots. Hence, the only option for me to do decent job is across and against the grain. Also, the lather of the cream dries fast. I found workarounds that make it not tug alot.

I realize some of the wippers is technical (maybe 2 out of 4/5) since I sometime hurry. However, it is still kinda high..

I get about 4 wippers and 6 nicks per shave. If I put no pressure at all, I miss stubble and it gets painfully long to go over it again.

3 questions:
1) what would you recommend for red bumps ? Is it aftershave + balm or some other treatment? Is the after shave stuff primary solution to get rid of this?

2) For this wippers, is it normal as much for a very close bbs shave for a redbump neck hairy guy? I tend to put slight pressure...

3) My routine is about 30 mins, I can glide atg with pressure if needed (works well on non acneic).. but some areas, i think the acne red bumps, just does not glide well. any recommendation on gliding accross skin for this type of skin?
3 questions:
I would recommend Dickinson's witch hazel or Thayers medicated Witch hazel. Witch hazel is a good aftershave and I recommend it with alcohol. Witch hazel has been used for skin issues for century's and use some clear Aloe vera gel for a pre shave could help. Another thing you might want to try is cold water rinses, it will calm the skin and it feels better than hot water. You should not use hot water on your skin Doctors claim, use warm water or cold water they recommend.
1573619796791.png1573619940985.png1573620068829.png
Have some great shaves!

FarmerTan

I would recommend Dickinson's witch hazel or Thayers medicated Witch hazel. Witch hazel is a good aftershave and I recommend it with alcohol. Witch hazel has been used for skin issues for century's and use some clear Aloe vera gel for a pre shave could help. Another thing you might want to try is cold water rinses, it will calm the skin and it feels better than hot water. You should not use hot water on your skin Doctors claim, use warm water or cold water they recommend.
View attachment 1034435View attachment 1034436View attachment 1034437
Have some great shaves!
More good advice.

So would you recommend a aftershave then balm or balm.. would aha or bha moisturizer actually work? I heard aha moistorized, I cannot use in summer due to UV.

also thanks for the suggestions.

FarmerTan

Well, I'm no Dermatologist, but I am a Cosmetologist and a Registered Nurse. We weren't created to remove our facial hair; a beard is what is the "norm" for our skin. So you have to go about the removal of that hair gently, and as infrequently as your life situation allows.

I have a butt ugly beard, no matter how well I groom it I look I've been stranded on an island, so I have to shave. I do it about every other day. And my face thanks me. Treat your face kindly, it's the only one you will probably ever have.

Some great advice above!

I would emphasize the following suggestions:
1. Work on getting your beard well hydrated before you start.
2. Make sure you have a slick, protective lather.
3. NO pressure! If you ‘need pressure’ then your technique needs a bit more work.
4. Assure you are maintaining an optimal razor angle.

Keep at this and you will get the results you want!

I switched to new blade in the razor (also astra):
1) Wow first shave was so much better. only 1 wipper/nick
2) Put less pressure this time. got less tug because new blade.
3) After shaving i went in places where it tug... few of this.. using more aggressive @3 was able to get them too. (I did not reapply lather and went only abit (obviosly no crazy glide).

So based on this.. how close I can get is function of good glider lather ... how much the hair tugged in the humid skin and maybe gap/freshness of blade helps. I realize that presure is perhaps below these items in terms of what I should have done.. but yet pressure would be a hack that results in more dangerous play.

So would you recommend a aftershave then balm or balm.. would aha or bha moisturizer actually work? I heard aha moistorized, I cannot use in summer due to UV.

The best post-shave balm I have ever used is Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm for men. I used to get razor bumps from cartridges and Nivea was a life-saver. It also comes in a Cooling variety, with menthol. I use balm, then aftershave.

I hear 444 is also highly regarded, as well as Speick aftershave or balm.

When I started DE shaving, I was getting weepers on my neck until I switched, first to Personna Med Prep blades, and then to an Ikon X3 razor head. I use almost no pressure and very sharp blades (Personna Med Prep, BIC Chrome Platinum, Kai) and have an almost effortless shave. My preferred soap is Oleo Soapworks with a very wet lather. Glides well. Reapply as often as necessary and consider a pre-shave oil first.

first step get an actual shaving soap or cream. What your using isn't even as good as using butter on your face to shave with.

Second step, only shave WITH the grain.

+1 for getting that lather WET!! Keep adding more water till you get a yogurt like sheen on it. Then add some more water for even more slickness. It won't be as thick looking, but will be much more effective.

Get some witch hazel and a good moisturizer like Cerave which has great skin care properties and is super cheap.

Also do some beard mapping to see if there are any direction changes. If the direction changes line up with the area you get redness, you may need to change direction there to get a smoother shave.

And also unfortunately there are some for whom the Progress head design is not optimal. Maybe trying some other types of razor designs might help with neck redness as well. Gillette Techs, Superspeeds, maybe an Injector might be helpful. Let the games begin 😁

My whole life I've had to shave against the grain. If I just go with the grain, it's like not shaving at all. That's a lifetime of gillette cartridges, now using DE.

For me it's with the grain, then against. Short quick strokes seem to work but I'm still experimenting with adjustment numbers, blades, etc. Water is key for lubrication.

I am a big proponent of using high quality soaps and creams. I have evaluated some 55 different soap and cream formulations, however, I am still looking for even better ones. This morning I shaved with what I now consider the best soap in my collection Wholly Kaw Siero formula Fougere Mania. It was a marvelous shave: close, comfortable, no cuts, nicks or weepers. A great soap can provide excellent slickness, excellent cushion to protect your skin from the razor blade, and excellent post-shave moisturizing, conditioning and nourishment to repair any skin damage done during the shave. There are a number of wonderful shave soaps available that if properly lathered with a suitable brush and hydrated with the correct amount of water will help give a great shave. However, preshave preparation and shaving technique also need to be good.

Just get a good aftershave lotion or balm... don't mix the two, at least not immediately. Each needs time to be absorbed into the skin. Alcohol splashes are mostly men's perfumes and do very little good for your skin.

Always use lighter products first.

You can combine AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) and the sun if you wear sunscreen. I used to use retinols as a teenager for acne and I used sunscreen. Salicylic acid is better for razor bumps, though. Neutragena makes an astringent with salicylic acid, and there's also Tend Skin. You can use it after shaving on areas that are prone to ingrown hairs or bumps, before you apply additional aftershaves.

I think the main issue is you are overshaving. It's better to knock down the stubble a bit and call it quits, than to try to get rid of every last bit. And no pressure means no pressure. If you use pressure you'll get razor burn and bumps if you are using a single blade razor. Ride the cap of the razor, not the guard bar. The guard bar is there for safety, not to be a guide to the correct angle.

Last edited:
I am a daily shaver, to BBS. My suggestion:

1. Start using pre shave oil, Osma has a good one. 2-3 drops applied to clean and wet face, before the lather.
2. No ball lathering - face lather only, short movements of the brush, while constantly adding water. You want to see your skin through the lather. It needs to be very watery. So will not dry on your face.
3. Half a lemon, squeeze the juice into 1/2 cap of water, rinse your face. Dump dry the face.
4. Apply aftershave (I personally use Plisson AS balm, and Weleda AS balm) both good to my skin.

5. Optional - you may want to give a try to Merkur 37C Slant. It is a very efficient and smooth shaver for sensitive skin.

Merkur Progress is a comfortable shaver, I use it with top aggression setting @5+
Also have Fatip Piccolo and Grande razors in rotation
and get no irritation BBS on a daily basis with the technique.

Hope this info helps!

+1 This is good advice

Top Bottom