What's new

Getting nicks 2+ months , part 2

Okay, I finally got a bowl + brush... this was like 300% better. I had no nicks or 1 or 2. So the nicks problem now totally solved. Lather + bad blade were problems.

So, pretty exciting that I was able to go all ways using progress from 1 to 5. I got less irritation too.

Now to try getting rid of my bumps more...
* I am trying some additional after shave prep to get rid of bumps.
* generally, I only like shaving across the grain and against the grain in the affected areas.. but mostly I do across the grain..
* not sure if going with the grain... would cause any significant improvement, perhaps any advice. I generally do across the grain and its still reddish.. Now I have better prep hopefully it gets better.

original thread was this:
Getting nicks 2+ months

I am retrying the following:
* going more with the grain... this time with optimal after shave prep.. I tried this with fusion and balm (but maybe de + after shave + balm is better solution)
* Trying with the better after shave prep only hoping that the less irritation now translates to less bumps.

If anybody has any ideas you can lmk

Last edited:
I'm guessing you are using too much pressure when you are shaving and you are trying to rely too much on the soap lather to protect your skin. A good shave really requires a very light touch that only comes from practice.

Don't use too many aftershave products, they will just needlessly irritate your skin. My opinion now on most aftershave splashes is that they are basically male fragrances and won't do much good for your skin.

I've never had really good shaves with more than 2 blades. If you have ingrown hair problems, I would stick to one blade only. That doesn't have to be a DE, there are alot of alternatives to DE's in terms of using only one blade. The Bic Sensitive is particularly good, especially combined with a latherless product like Cremo, or using a slick lather that doesn't have too much cushion (and no pressure of course). I've had good shaves using glycerin soaps, for instance.

You can get some acne pads to use on razor bumps. More important is realizing when a hair is going to go ingrown and treating it when it's still in the itchy stage, so that it doesn't become inflamed and ingrown. Salicylic acid is very good for that, and it will also reduce skin inflammation, which is why I recommended the acne pads.

To a certain extent, it takes time for your skin to adjust to any new shaving technique.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I would recommend more concentration on prep. I usually shower preshave (not always though). I always wash my face with a hydrating, natural oil infused soap. For me, Dr. Bronner's bar soap is the best. It doesn't strip my face of natural oil, cleans and hydrates. I use the peppermint since it's hard to find some of the other scents where I'm located, but I love the almond and tea tree scents as well. I would also recommend giving cold water (not like ice water, but cool) shaving a shot. It tends to tighten the skin and for some increases the probability of a CCS. If you have sensitive skin you might consider cutting alcohol based aftershave out of your post shave routine. I love my aftershaves and won't personally be doing that any time soon but a lot of people prefer balms as they tend to be more hydrating post shave whereas alcohol can be drying.

In my experience though, once technique is learned and a shaver is confident they have that right then prep tends to be the area requiring attention when shaves aren't comfortable.

Keep at it, the only way to improve is to practice.

First, congratulations on your progress!!

I suggest that you map your beard to understand precisely what you are doing in each area. Then you can adjust your technique accordingly.

I find my nicks usually occur when I start to change direction before I have finished the stroke I'm on. If I "take off" early on the way to another part of my face, I turn the razor slightly and it nicks on the way out.

Top Bottom