What's new

Getting My Gall Bladder Removed Tomorrow

I have had 4 or 5 gall bladder attacks over the past 7 or 8 months. I had one a month ago that was horrendously painful. I went to the emergency room at 230 in the morning. My gall bladder is full of stones and is not working coreectly. I have a condition of the gall bladder called bilary corlic. I have only had one other surgury , besides having my wisdom teeth pulled as a teenager. I had surgury done on the moscles on my eyes when I was 3 or 4 years old . I am kind of nervous. Would anyone have any tips for being comfortable and healing as quickly and well as possible after this kind of surgury ? They will be doing it laproscopically.. Thank you..

Best wishes on your surgery. Do take it easy and remember that you'll get relief from the surgery. This has been a consoling fact when I've had procedures done. Take care.

Paul, don't stress about it. My ex mother in law had hers removed and the next day flew cross country. It's not a big deal. They put a few tiny holes in your stomach, one for the tools, one for the light so they can see, and one to blow your stomach up. They literally blow you up like a balloon.

You shouldn't have any trouble healing up. I had neck surgery a few years ago, my surgeon walks in as i'm getting sedated to tell me what hes going to do. He says "We're just going to make a 3" incision in your neck, shove everything out of the way and then take out the bad disc, put in a block and screw it all together".
I would have walked out if I could have moved....he was talking about my esophagus, major arteries...and just shoving them out of the way.

I do recommend taking whatever pain meds they give you for the first 2 days afterwards though.

Best wishes on your surgery. Do take it easy and remember that you'll get relief from the surgery. This has been a consoling fact when I've had procedures done. Take care.
So very true. When I woke up from my neck surgery, I was in a TON of pain, but it wasn't the pain I was used to. It was GREAT!

Do what your doctors and nurses suggest. You will be fine. If you have a recliner, you may want to sleep upright the first couple of nights home.

The real question is, as a devoted B&B member, have you thought about bringing in your own DE razor for them to use to shave the incision area?

My wife had this done about a year ago. She felt 100% better the next day. Just try to take it easy and do what the doctors tell ya. Good luck!

Paul, you'll feel so much better afterwards.

Laproscopic with it's much smaller incision is truly a wonderful innovation. You won't be suffering with the pain of gall bladder attacks or wondering when the next one will come. Take the time to recover well, and you'll be fine.

Best of Luck and treat yourself to some special shaves during your recovery!

I had a hernia fixed about 10 years ago through the Laproscopic process. I'll tell you the morning after is really the worst part because your anesthetic has worn off. Feels like someone took the boots to your midsection. It does subside quickly. Try to walk around WHEN YOU FEEL UP TO IT. Don't over do it though. If your body tells you lay down and relax- listen to it.
Scarring should be minimal. You'll be fine.

Paul, I was you back in summer 2006. I went 2 yrs off and on problems with gall stones until finally one morning it landed me in the hospital. They did the surgery in the same evening and I of course stayed over into the next day. No complications other than I couldn't pee post anesthesia. That parts no fun, but it apparently happens. It sounds like yours is a scheduled outpatient, a bit different I know, but I can share with you about the surgery itself.

If you've never had a major, fully sedated surgery as an adult it can be kinda strange. Everyone is different of course, but you will receive an injection in the prep room that will knock you out. Its strange because one minute you're talking, the next you're waking up post surgery. When you wake up you shouldn't be in any real pain beyond a soreness, achey-ness. I know with the outpatient version they'll let you recover a while, make sure you're ok and comfortable and send you on home to rest. It's really not a long ordeal.

As far as the post laproscopic surgery, it really is the best way to get it! If it is like mine, you will have 3 inscions in your gut. One in the bellybutton, one a few inches above it and one to the side. They are really small, just a few staples and a bandage to close them up. You go in and they take them out about a week later, thats super easy, and you'll likely have afew scars to. Just follow the directions about changing the bandage and keeping clean. Its gonna itch man, don't do it! I'm pretty sure you'll have a limited diet for a couple days too. I know you're worried about the pain. Like I said everyone is different, but for me it never got worse than what a few Motrin could handle. Its just a little sore basically. Take it easy, but you shouldn't be laid up more than a couple days. Get a series you like on DVD, a comfy couch or chair and kick back!

As far as the long term man, you'll be so glad you did it. All the suffering of the attacks, the being careful what you eat...or else, will be gone. They tell you about possible "sideeffects" of not having your gall bladder. Watch out for fatty foods, etc. Personally I haven't had any issues with that. Other than that the only long term effects are relief!

Best wishes to you, and don't worry! Its as simple a surgery as they get and you'll be getting relief! If you have any other questions, let me know and I'd be happy to help the best I can!

-John

Best wishes for a successful surgery and full, quick recovery. I simply want to throw on my mod hat for a second to remind everyone that, though the advice above and to follow is certainly helpful and well-meaning, no medical advice distributed on B&B should supercede that offered by your own qualified medical professional.

I have now checked "random medical disclaimer" off my B&B to-do list for the day. Carry on :smile:

Best wishes, Paul. My wife's sister-in-law just went through the same surgery and she was home the next day. In fact, had the surgery taken place early in the day she would have been released on the same day.

She said the healing process was effortless and she did not experience any pain. The doctor prescribed pain killers but after the first day she said she did not need them.

best wished Paul!!! mend quickly!!

both my mom & sister went through the procedure and are so grateful that they did... they were back up and about within a couple days to boot.

Best wishes! I had the same procedure done 4 years ago. Doctor said it would be 30-45 minute procedure, but took about 2 hours (due to the size of my gall bladder...normally 2 ounces, mine was 20+). Definitely freaked out my wife and family.

Yes, I was sore for a couple days. Sleeping on the couch helped. I'd stay away from solid foods 1-2 days before. Trust me...you don't want to do any abdominal straining for a few days after.

Funny, my 2 roomates from college and I are 3-for-3 on getting our gall bladders removed before the age of 30...might have something to do with our "healthy" eating habits.

Relax, take it easy, and don't worry. Probably one of the simplest and most-common internal procedures done these days.

Hey Paul,

I just had this same surgery done in December down in Dallas. Pain hit me like a ton of bricks and as I was alone in a hotel room (there on business) I had to call 911 to take me to the hospital. Doc said (after a couple tests) I had a stone where my gallbladder used to be...It had totally calcified from the inside out. He was shocked I was coherent enough to call 911. :) High pain tolerance has it's usages...

Anyway, had the surgery that day and was out of the hospital less than 48hrs later. Walking is a key thing in getting the blood flowing properly to your legs. The juice they gave me to knock me out for the surgery (and the amount of morphine they pumped me up with prior to the surgery so I'd be able to communicate) slows the blood down a bit, as does laying in bed. Getting up and walking around, even if it's just from your bed to a chair is important and helps circulation to your legs.

Also, if no one has told you yet, you're probably going to have to cut out all fatty and/or oily foods from here until forever. For me, if I have fatty foods I'm on the pot within an hour, max. NOT pleasant at all. (Gallbladder is used to store up stuff the stomach uses to break down fat. If it doesn't have the store to draw from, not all the fat can be digested properly and the body attempts to flush it as quickly as possible. Get what I'm saying cheif?? :cursing::scared::a50:) Some people it doesn't affect though so you may be one of the lucky ones.

All the best for your surgery and just relax. You'll be fine!

Cheers,

M.

I had mine cut out in my late 20s.
I don't miss it at all. I had the old style surgery. I was sore as hell when I woke up but only spent one night in the hospital. Took maybe two weeks before I felt fit.
My mother (40+ years my senior) had the laparoscopic surgery a few years ago and she got over the surgery in 1/3 the time I did.

funny, last week I visited my coworker on the hospital for the same procedure. Take it easy the next few days. easy on the grease and stick to natural foods. a bad meal can send you right back to the ER. bring plenty of magazines and books for recovery the next day. Best of luck and remember, it's routine. and yes you will feel like hell after surgery but who doesn't. stay healthy these next few days. you will be on no water and only an IV pre-surgery

I know someone that just recently had that done. She said that simple things like laughing & picking things up hurt for about a week. She's still recovering ( able to work w/light duty, but not heavy lifting ) after about a month, but said it's nothing like what she was expecting.

Just take it easy for a week or so and if something hurts when you start to do it, stop. Good luck!

Top Bottom