What's new

Getting lots of nicks after switching to Mach 3

I just switched from using an electric razor to a Mach 3. I never learned how to shave with a razor so I'm kind of teaching myself. But every time I try to shave my mustache area I get 4 or 5 nicks.

I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. I've shaved with a blade about four times so far and when I get to my lip area I shave in short strokes down once and then try to shave up with short strokes, but I always get a lot of cuts. I've tried everything but I don't know what technique works best.

How are you supposed to shave around the mouth and the mustache without getting cut?

Going up on your lip is almost certainly against the grain (AGT). If you've been using an electric until now your skin will not be used to the action a blade imparts on it and will be prone to irritaion and cuts. For the next 4 weeks or so just shave down, which is with the grain (WTG). After 4weeks you can then try to go across the grain (XTG) by shaving across your lip (ear to nose). The hair on your lip and chin is the coarsest on your face so it's the hardest for your razor to cut through. If you go ATG too soon, before your skin is acclimatised, you will pull the hair out rather than cut it and get irritation and cuts. Also go gentle on the pressure and try to make sure you have your lip in a flattish position. Some people press their tongue against the inside in order to stretch the skin but this can kae the hairs stand out too much and cause cuts and bumps to appear.

I was never able to get a good shave with a cartridge on my lip as the cartridge was too wide. You may eventually want to try a DE and I found these to be much better at getting into these bits.

Good luck with it all and you'll get there eventually.

G

gone down south

You're making at least one major mistake in your technique, involving direction of shave.
Read all the tutorials here, watch Mantic59's videos on youtube, (pay attention to 'beard reduction' techniques) and you should end up in a much better place :)

Make sure the area is properly prepped.

An M3 is never going to get it cut well just under the nostrils, because it's too fat.

Go DOWNWARDS on that area. You could go down once, relather, and go down a second time. Do not go upwards yet.

A DE razor really IS easier on the skin in this area. If you don't want to take the plunge just yet, at least try a double-bladed razor instead of the M3.

Don't push too hard when shaving in this area.

What they said. Go with a downward stroke, and then try a sideways stroke (but do that in two "halves").

The DE might not be a bad idea either, although if you switched from an electric you might be concerned about that much exposed blade, am I right? Seriously after a little while it doesn't bother you any more, and the results are nothing short of staggering.

What are you using for lather, and what do you do to prepare for the shave? These two things are also key factors for success.

I would of course agree with everything stated above, but I wanted to emphasize the prep part. It sounds like we have the same kind of skin and whiskers, and I have the same trouble with my upper lip, DE razor or no DE razor. I have learned to never shave without a really good prep. You can find many different methods to do this, the most common is probably by applying a hot towel to your face multiple times. However, my method is simply to wash my face. I use a pretty harsh cleanser that contains syclaic acid(clean and clear blackhead clearing scrub.) Just 20 or 30 seconds of this stuff on my face makes my facial hair soft enough to notice a huge difference on my upper lip. I'm not saying to go out and buy some Clean and Clear, but just using my exapmle to emphasize a really good prep that works for you, and makes your hairs soft. Read as much as you can on prepping your beard. Its the biggest thing that has changed my shaves into enjoyable, blood free, irritation free shaves.

Have you tried making an O with your mouth while pushing the lips back over your teeth to tighten the skin around your mouth?(Yeah, it's kind of hard to describe, I think mantic shows it in one of his videos)

It might help prevent the skin from catching on the blade.

Let me say it one more time:

Be sure to do a good prep. Keep your face warm and wet to relax the face muscles and soften the beard. Then, apply a good lather, and only go WTG and XTG. In time, your technique will improve, and you may be able to handle going ATG. However, only do it if you can handle it, and for that matter, you may not need it. you may find that a combination of WTG and XTG will be more than enough.

Try a DE razor and a good blade, and with a little patience as you adapt to the new razor, you will find that the shave will be much smoother, and result in less irritation.

Have you tried making an O with your mouth while pushing the lips back over your teeth to tighten the skin around your mouth?(Yeah, it's kind of hard to describe, I think mantic shows it in one of his videos)

It might help prevent the skin from catching on the blade.

The "O Face" (also see Office Space) is a useful technique, and gives me great results when going XTG. However, I have very tough stubble on my upper lip, and even this strategy yields some rough results if I try ATG. YMMV, but keep in mind that you still need to be very diligent with your passes over the upper lip.

Thanks for the input everyone. I still end up doing a mediocre job (the little tiny hair follicles still showing) and I get some nicks, but I guess I just have to learn how to position the blade, technique, all that stuff. Practice makes perfect. I'm kind of afraid of using the DE right now, but will probably try it at some point.

You might also try getting a cheap package of Bic sensitive disposables, or a sensor. both are narrower profile and will help get under the nose.

Top Bottom