What's new

Getting into Safety Razor Shaving

I am looking to switch to a safety razor and am wondering where to start. I have sensitive skin and am leaning toward a closed comb razor. I like the idea of an adjustable, but after reading some comments, I don't know if that's the best way to go. I shave roughly every other day and would like something that won't slip in my hand. Any recommendations around the $40-75 range would be appreciated. I am thinking of starting with Astra green blades but recommendations on blades would also be helpful.
Thanks in advance

@schinster ...I'm going to be accused of being a "Fanboy". However, I'm going to recommend contacting Italian Barber and purchasing a RazoRock Game Changer GC 68-P, I think the price is $55. This is a CNC machined, 316L stainless steel razor and you get excellent customer service on top of that.

The material it's made out of is a premium grade of stainless used in Aerospace, marine environments, medical instruments and the manufacturer of industrial products. It's 'way overkill' for a razor. Your grandkids and probably there kids will be able to use the same razor.

This is just my opinion, but I have three RazoRock razors and love each of them. I'm 68 years old and a longtime DE razor user and I can say without hesitation the Game Changer razors ( and the Lupo) have given me some if the best shaves of my life.

Ditto on the Astra SP blades.

b/r

ON_1

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A couple of Razors that come to mind for comfort and still get the job done would be Razorock Game changer.84 or a recent razor I like to use is the Yaqi SLOPE 316 stainless steel slant.
The Razorock GC.84 is a tame mid range with a standard Gillette blade and the Yaqi Slope slant is a mild razor with a standard Gillette blade. Both razors are with in your price range also.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B. Hard to go wrong with a Gillette Tech when you're just starting out. I'd also consider the Rockwell 6c. I can't imagine doing any harm to oneself with the #1 plate.

Lot's of advice concerning sensitive skin around here as well.

Hope you stick around. Best to you!

I am looking to switch to a safety razor and am wondering where to start. I have sensitive skin and am leaning toward a closed comb razor. I like the idea of an adjustable, but after reading some comments, I don't know if that's the best way to go. I shave roughly every other day and would like something that won't slip in my hand. Any recommendations around the $40-75 range would be appreciated. I am thinking of starting with Astra green blades but recommendations on blades would also be helpful.
Thanks in advance
Hello @schinster and welcome to Badger & Blade!

I would strongly recommend a Gillette Tech razor to start. A vintage classic which is mild and efficient and will help you to develop technique. In my opinion stainless steel and CNC machining is irrelevant at this point in your development. Most Techs are 50+ years old and seem to not have been affected by a watery environment :wink2:

Available for $20 or so. I suggest a pre war Tech. Highly efficient and easy to pick up. They have 'triangular' slots like this and the 'Fat' handle is a great indicator of age, and IMO the best stock handle Gillette produced. Here is one.
proxy.php

You won't find one cased like this, but the basic razor is out there at a good price if you look. A classic, well-loved here on B&B!

That will free up some money for a decent Italian boar brush or a good Yaqi synthetic.

A synthetic brush is very easy to mantain, boar brushes can be harder to break in, but they are fun.

Yaqi Mocha Express Brush
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832680748336.html?pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!US $20.86!US $20.86!!!!!@0b0a172716803218563273244e6c05!65391203495!btf&_t=pvid:3346a4b9-2219-48b0-9f2f-a2b48b5c8561&afTraceInfo=32867063088__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1680321856&spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.mainProduct&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

I would also suggest the excellent, sharp but very forgiving Nacet blade. Pairs wonderfully with the Tech.

Happy shaves!

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B!

As stated before I would suggest a Gillette Tech. Easy money and easy shaves. And despite a reputation for being mild can deliver very satisfying shaves.

Just to add to that I absolutely love the second razor I ever got just before my Tech which is a Fatip Special Edition Piccolo. It is all brass (like a prewar tech by the way) and comes with both an open chin and safety bar version. Amazing shaves. I love it. There’s also a Golden Beard version which is a rebrand in gold rather than smoked black should you be interested in that.

Enjoy!

Guido

Hi @schinster, welcome to B&B!

Without hesitation I will recommend you the Merkur Progress. Merkur is for the FGod Hermes, Hermes was the name of the creator of the Merkur razor business. The brand Hermes was already registered therefore he picked the Roman version of the God. Just to add some poetry to the brand.

The Progress is an ajustable razor which was designed in 1955, the same year Gillette produced its first ajustable razors.
But the conception was totally different, Progress are two pieces razor with an original comb design copied now by the Timeless Razor company.
It is very smooth and agile and gives an excellent shave which competes with the most famous efficient razors on the market.
Merkur Progress is the only ajustable razor created in 1955 and still produced today.
Why? Because it's phenomenal!
All Merkur are good and smooth except the new one released in 1980, the Future, which I would not recommend to a beginner.
34C and 37C are also excellent, the 37C is a slant version but very smooth.

Regarding the blades, Astra are good, I personally prefer the Gillette Platinum but on a blind test I don't think I'd be able to make a difference.

All other razors listed here are obviously very good. No TTO butterfly razor has been recommended because their design is not optimal for a good shave.

Just my two scents, the esthetic is also to be considered and with that regard you're the only one who knows what's best for you.

Ah, and I forgot, the Pearl Blaze, CNC Stainless razor produced in India is also excellent choice, one of the best price performance ratio but maybe a bit agressive for a beginner.

Welcome to B and B!

I will also recommend a Gillette Tech or Vintage Gillette Super Speed. If you want a Modern razor I would also recommend the Parker 78R shaves very much like a Tech in my opinion. I also recommend an Omega boar brush. All items are with in your budget. As for blades buy a sample pack so you can get an idea for the range of blades available. Astra green blades are good blades they are the ones I started with too. I also would recommend the Gillette Silver blue blades. Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV). Enjoy the Journey and process.

If i could keep only one of my razors, it would be the Game Changer .84-P.
It always provides very close shaves with minimal to zero risk of biting, even when chasing the BBS.
Works well with every blade I tried it with, including the Astra SP (green).

The Rockwell 6S or 6C are also reliable beginners razors.
They offer very drama free and close shaves.

Welcome aboard!!

Some fine suggestions above!

In your shoes, I would decide either Vintage or New. Then, go from there.

If you chose Vintage, then I would start with either a Tech or Slim. If you chose New, then I would go with either one of the EJ 89 series or a Merkur 34C. But, there are so many fine choices!!

Field notes from another Rookie

I will reinforce the Gillette Tech recommendations as I now consider it "required reading" for DE shaving. You will then use it as a basis to compare everything else should you move onto modern SS stuff. If I had started out with the Tech, I would have saved myself a lot of money that I spent in search of the perfect razor at the beginning of my journey, even though I had no clue what "perfect" constituted. The Fatip Piccolo is a modern version of the Tech, same metals and reasonably priced around $30. These are currently my daily duo, prompting me to sell off all my modern razors and squash my meandering mind away from very expensive razors.

Another thing I struggled with is making a good lather from a bowl. I tried every bowl from my kitchen inventory, probably the crux of my problem. But once I switched to face lathering, my shaves improved dramatically. I think the face lathering ensures your whiskers are saturated and prepped sufficiently, and it feels so good on the face. I also found face lathering does not waste as much shaving cream as the bowl method. Get yourself a synthetic brush for around $20 (Yaqi, Phoenix Artisan, Omega) as they are zero maintenance and also reasonably priced to allow experimentation. I am four months into my DE journey and so those are my rookie findings so far.

Top Bottom