What's new

Getting into safety razor shaving

Thanks a lot for the advice, all is much appreciated.

The pointers however on here from everyone will be very helpful going forward, handy to know that everyone's experience of different razors and products differs. To be honest I cannot my head around how anyone can enjoy and look forward to shaving as so many do, but hopefully I'll be able to join that camp at some point :)
Everyone on this site is here to help with advice on the "art" of shaving. Most all enjoy the daily ritual, and some just like using, and/or, collecting said equipment. Pick a razor you want to use, purchase some blades to try, and work on your technique. It takes time, but that's what makes the journey into DE fun. Some of us have found what works, and some are still searching for that "perfect" shave. For some, it will be a never ending search, as some will continually try the next best thing to come along. Possibly, DE is not your niche. You could always try SE, and there are those here on B&B that could help you along that route. Good luck on your journey...

Welcome to the forum. You have gotten a taste of the benefits of participating here with all of this sound advice. I will join with those who emphasize technique as a focus. There are huge numbers of combinations that you could try but technique will be the constant. I know that I often have to make subtle shifts when I change razors but the basics stay the same- find the angle and be conscious of pressure. In my own case, one of the forums that I followed suggested using an alum block post shave. I use a cold wash cloth for about 10 seconds after shaving and then rub a moist alum block over my face and neck. The degree of sting that I get tells me where I need to be more aware, usually at the corners of my mouth. I can remember the first time that I had a completely sting free shave-I thought there was something wrong with the alum block but it was that something was right with my technique. As others have said, the best thing to do is stick with it. My shave has become a valued part of my day.

Reactions: dnr
I think an adjustable is a great razor for someone just starting out. . . .

. . .

There's really only one rule for a comfortable irritation free shave: you need just enough pressure at a blade angle to cut the hair off at skin level. There's obviously a lot of variables that come into play here between beard/skin, hardware and software, but try to keep it simple, consistent with what is working, and adjust only one variable at a time. You've been given some good pointers here at BB, we're here for you, but ultimately you have to listen and learn from your own feedback.

We've all been in your shoes. Don't give up. It gets easier with time. Have fun and enjoy the journey.

+1. My suggestion (I own one) for an adjustable DE razor would be a Merkur Progress. It has some quirks -- see Mantic59's videos. As an alternative, the Parker Variant cures those quirks, but may have some quality-control problems.

FWIW, when I started, I tried a Gillette Tech, with poor results. An EJ DE89 was much better. Maybe my technique was improving, and that made the difference.

. Charles

Reactions: dnr
My very first razor was an R89 and like you, I wasn't getting the closeness of a cartridge razor. I chased a bunch of hardware to try and get better shaves. I got a variety of blades (which did help, to be fair), better brushes and creams, etc. A few months later, improvement was modest at best. I bought "better" razors but with marginally better results. And yes, I watched a ton of YT videos to try and pick up tips but that didn't help me as much as I thought it would.

I think it took me more than a year to learn what to feel and listen for. Once that happened, I was able to learn any new-to-me razor within a week or two. These days, it takes me no longer than 15 minutes to do a 3-pass shave from prep to rinse. If I get a DFS, I'm good to go as I shave daily. Some days, the stars align and BBS comes without much thought or effort.

I'd say be patient and keep at it. It'll come together when you least expect it.

Top Bottom