What's new

Getting equipped

B

bluefoxicy

I've got some equipment here and some coming. I just did my first shave with ... no brush, Gillette Fusion gel-in-a-can (has a tiny amount of glycerin as an ingredient), and a 1951 Gillette Fatboy with Derby blades.

I used 140F water (my tap water comes out like this) on a hand towel, which I let drip and cool for a minute, then left on my face for about 1 minute (I should do this longer). Rubbed in some of that gel-in-a-can, tried adding water to it, didn't have a brush... it was sticky, and annoying.

Shaved with the grain, as best I could. Apparently I shaved my whole face (it was a mess, a week and a half since I shaved last), but certain spots are damn smooth and others have a little left if you rub against the grain. Notably, one side of my jaw is smooth and the other is stubbly.

I found a number of things:

• The angle is hard to get right. When I do get it right, the shave is freaking awesome.
  • The can stuff sucked. Not enough water, no brush to lather it up, it was pretty much sticky goop. I have Col. Conk's lime on the way.
  • Setting the adjustable to (1) feels like nothing, (9) feels harsh if I strike it at the right angle but with bad technique (or no lather, or the lather sucks). Through experimentation, I've settled on about (3); I'll play with it when I can use the damn thing right.

So I've got these things in possession now:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And these things coming:

Along with these things:

And going to order this in a couple weeks:

Any comments? Seriously, I'm new at this. All I can say for sure right now is I cut myself with the Fatboy, and it didn't even bleed, and it was only one instead of the handful the 5 blade gives me (2-3 on my upper lip and chin, every time, and they don't stop bleeding!). Also, no irritation, face felt great after.

I think you have enough equipment to last a long time. Stick with it. Prep is key to making the shave better. When you get your brush, and can whip up some lather I think the shave will much more enjoyable. Just remember when you are getting the feel for things that you keep everything the same. Use the fatboy and don't change the setting until you become consistent.

B

bluefoxicy

Prep is key to making the shave better. When you get your brush, and can whip up some lather I think the shave will much more enjoyable. Just remember when you are getting the feel for things that you keep everything the same. Use the fatboy and don't change the setting until you become consistent.

Yeah, I'll stick with 3 for a while until I'm used to it. I might dip into the straight razor once in a while, if it can cut a single hair after stroping (do these things need honing out of the box?). It's actually got my interest for the moment; I find it a lot less scary than the DE.

I am not a straight razor expert by any means. So I won't even try to suggest if the straight razors you won are shave ready or if they need to be honed. Check out the tutorials on straight shaving in the straight shaving part of the forum.

Looks like you have had the AD's sink in. Looks like a good set up to me. I would start at 3 on the adjustable until your technique gets good.

That first straight razor is gorgeous.

As for missing spots with shaving, I'm very new to DE use, but from the couple of times I've done it so far, I couldn't even tell I was getting a shave until I was done, at which point I realized that my face was silky smooth except one patch that I always miss every time, because the grain apparently extends into the fourth dimension.

If you don't have a stone to hone your straight razors on, you can take them to a for-real barber and they'll often be happy to sharpen them up for you. I've got an old but unusable straight razor (broken tines) that led to that discovery.

B

bluefoxicy

Is that first str8 a Sweeny Todd movie replica?

It's close. It's marked as "Sweeny Todd similar" or some such; the actual replicas don't actually have an edge, and I don't know that the material can take an edge. Also the hinges are kind of weak and become loose after a few opens. They're beautiful blades though, a working replica would be awesome.

I would be careful with that Sweeny Todd replica. It looks great, and I love the Spanish point, but I can't help but notice that it cost a whopping $13.69. You either got an amazing deal, or a poor quality razor. But then again, I am not a straight shaver myself, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

B

bluefoxicy

You either got an amazing deal, or a poor quality razor.

Or a little of both. Who knows? It's 1045 carbon steel, the hinge could be weak, it could desperately need honing out of the box, or it could just be dead easy to make a razor and there's no brand-name mark-up. I can't make that call yet.

Col. Conk is great soap, better for me than the Classic Shaving brand soap I originally got (although it makes a decent bath bar). I'm using the Amber right now and it makes a nice thick, slick lather. I also have a puck of Bay Rum for when hunting season is over.

I hate to be the one to tell you but that first straight looks like something Zeepk would make and if that is the price mentioned above it is in there price range as well, it looks very nice but Zeepk's generally don't even make good letter openers

B

bluefoxicy

I hate to be the one to tell you but that first straight looks like something Zeepk would make and if that is the price mentioned above it is in there price range as well, it looks very nice but Zeepk's generally don't even make good letter openers

Duly noted. I couldn't find the manufacturer or anything., I went based on material and style.

B

bluefoxicy

Might invest in a large box of band aids.:biggrin:

Seriously, that straight is beautiful!

You have no idea how fast I heal ;)

And yeah, I bought it for material and look. I wish the Sweeny replicas were functional because damn.

Welcome!! Keep that Fatty on #3!!!!! That's what I use, and I halfway know my stuff...at least enough to be dangerous!! I have a wolfman beard and #3 with a Derby leaves me BBS every time. Remember the Fatty is a hefty beast...NO PRESSURE...You may want to use some negative pressure on your neck for a bit! Or....you will get some razor burn!!

Lastly...Make Prorasso Pre part o your daily prep w/out exception!!! I will NOT shave w/out it!! Keep it slick and enjoy!!!!!:tongue_sm

Yeah, I'll stick with 3 for a while until I'm used to it. I might dip into the straight razor once in a while, if it can cut a single hair after stroping (do these things need honing out of the box?). It's actually got my interest for the moment; I find it a lot less scary than the DE.

All str8s must be honed before the first shave...even if marketed as "Shave Ready" It sucks, I know!!!!:frown:

I"m sure you found out in short order that canned goo and DE's are like oil and water!! You will spend half your time de-gunking the goo and hair outta the razor.
Keep up with the good blades, take it slow, and enjoy!!!! Did I mention prorasso pre is a must???:thumbup:

If you try it and don't agree...I'll buy it from you myself!!! I have made that offer a few times, and have yet to lose!!! Trust me!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Regards,

Top Bottom