What's new

Getting Better! Thanks to all who helped.

Just wanted to stop in and say thanks to everyone who helped with my question regarding the irritation I was having on my neck. Things have gotten markedly better the past week and I feel good about where things are.

First, with my existing GameChanger 68P, I switched to cold water rinses, and also paid much more attention to my angle and pressure on that part of my neck. Second, I added more water to my lather. I suspected that was part of it but adding more than I thought I needed has helped immensely. Third, on someone's advice here, I purchased the 84P plate for my GameChanger. Used it today for the first time. Only two passes, but a very nice, very close shave. The added blade exposure means I nicked myself once or twice when not paying attention, but I managed to do my face, neck and head without any major issues.

Still trying different blades but must say I really like the Nacets I've been mostly using. Used a Gillette 7 o'clock yesterday that was ok, but the Nacets just seem to like my face.

Thanks again!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Thank you for sharing your recent success! I'm sure things will continue to improve. Also glad to see that you didn't go off the deep end (there's time enough for that later) changing things up. There is a lot to be said for some minor tweaks particularly for new DE enthusiasts.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Just wanted to stop in and say thanks to everyone who helped with my question regarding the irritation I was having on my neck. Things have gotten markedly better the past week and I feel good about where things are.

First, with my existing GameChanger 68P, I switched to cold water rinses, and also paid much more attention to my angle and pressure on that part of my neck. Second, I added more water to my lather. I suspected that was part of it but adding more than I thought I needed has helped immensely. Third, on someone's advice here, I purchased the 84P plate for my GameChanger. Used it today for the first time. Only two passes, but a very nice, very close shave. The added blade exposure means I nicked myself once or twice when not paying attention, but I managed to do my face, neck and head without any major issues.

Still trying different blades but must say I really like the Nacets I've been mostly using. Used a Gillette 7 o'clock yesterday that was ok, but the Nacets just seem to like my face.

Thanks again!

Oh my gosh, I am so happy for you :thumbup: WOOHOO! :thumbup:

Way to go dude! See, I told you that I had faith in you, I knew you could do it, you are awesome! And, I am glad that you are also discovering what different razors can do, including, what different blades can do as well. I find that the Gillette Nacets work best in my Merkur Futur razor, absolute preferred blade in that regard! And don't worry about those nicks, thats what an alum block is for.

And with more practice, you will develop your skills further, to the point in which you won't get nicks of weepers. You've already made a crowning achievement, when you had a shave with no irritation. Amazing job, so proud of you! 🤗 Alright, I now consider your a Badger & Blade Warrior, congrats!

Thanks for sharing your success! We learn from others' failures, yes, but ultimately we learn & cheer from others' successes! So thank you! Enjoy your journey!!!

And if you want to try other blades, remember the Great Blade Exchange

The biggest issue with newbies in this hobby is then not listening to what they are told and really taking the info and changing. Another thing is changing too many things at one time!
Congrats on finding the improvements and those nicks or weepers may happen now and then. Don't worry about it too much as long as it doesn't happen daily. The right blade can make a big difference. I'd say after you have used the 84 for two of three blades of shaves, go back to the 68 so you can tell how much of a difference the blade gap makes. Learn to use them both over time.
To me, the ultimate goal was learning to straight razor shave, but the ultimate goal with Safety razors was to learn to use them all at any time and get a great shave. That was a lot of fun!

The biggest issue with newbies in this hobby is then not listening to what they are told ..............
Put me on that list! It's the little things, the things we (I) hear over and over and over--that we (I) say to ourselves (myself) "yeah, yeah, I know that, but........."

I knew an English professor who used to say, "Everything that comes after the BUT, you can ignore."

Making the lather slicker was far too obvious to heed. I've said before in other threads that although I READ it, I did not heed this advice. Then I tried it: I lathered one side of my face, then sprinkled hot water on the brush and did the other, then switched to the other, then the other, until I was rewetting the brush and my face for about 5 minutes in total--it doesn't sound like much, but I'll bet most experienced wet shavers on this forum will insist it makes all the difference in the world. That's not hyperbole. This was a game-changer for me.

That repeated rewetting not only makes a slicker face, but it keeps heating the lather more and more until you're wearing a hot towel of lather on your face. The slickness and hot blanket of lather softens the beard, makes the hairs stand up, causes the shaver to use less pressure and achieve more.....I can go on, but I won't.

If you haven't tried it, please do so.

Great to hear of your progress!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The biggest issue with newbies in this hobby is then not listening to what they are told and really taking the info and changing. Another thing is changing too many things at one time!
Congrats on finding the improvements and those nicks or weepers may happen now and then. Don't worry about it too much as long as it doesn't happen daily. The right blade can make a big difference. I'd say after you have used the 84 for two of three blades of shaves, go back to the 68 so you can tell how much of a difference the blade gap makes. Learn to use them both over time.
To me, the ultimate goal was learning to straight razor shave, but the ultimate goal with Safety razors was to learn to use them all at any time and get a great shave. That was a lot of fun!
As a newbie here, when you start out here, you have no idea whose advice is sound. It doesn't take long though. I check to see how long a person has been here by clicking on their profile photo for a start. I've learned a lot here already. I've taken advice on soaps and brushes. That has been extremely helpful and has saved me years of experimenting on my own. At my age, that is a huge plus.

One thing I have learned semi-recently... the straight razor shavers here are perhaps the most passionate about their method of shaving. <eg> (evil grin that denotes an attempt at humor)

As a result, I did buy a barber razor and will get around to using it soon, I think. I don't think I can afford the Straight Razor rabbit hole. I don't tend to do things in moderation. A man has to know his limitations.

As a newbie here, when you start out here, you have no idea whose advice is sound. It doesn't take long though. I check to see how long a person has been here by clicking on their profile photo for a start. I've learned a lot here already. I've taken advice on soaps and brushes. That has been extremely helpful and has saved me years of experimenting on my own. At my age, that is a huge plus.

One thing I have learned semi-recently... the straight razor shavers here are perhaps the most passionate about their method of shaving. <eg> (evil grin that denotes an attempt at humor)

As a result, I did buy a barber razor and will get around to using it soon, I think. I don't think I can afford the Straight Razor rabbit hole. I don't tend to do things in moderation. A man has to know his limitations.
Come-on man. You can do it!
(insert Evil grin).

Yeah I was trying not to change too many things, but the temptation to try all the fun and different soaps, blades, etc is great! I did just purchase a Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus and shaved with it yesterday. Holy crap. Best shave I've had yet! 90% BBS, with just the usual light roughness in my problem areas on the neck. But it rivaled the shaves I get when using Gillette Fusion ProShield, which I was happy with. I'm different from many here in that I wasn't dissatisfied with the shave I got from the cartridges. The Fusion ProShield worked well for me, and I wasn't one to suffer from ingrown hairs or acne or anything. My major issue with them is cost, and the environmental unfriendliness of them. Now that I'm feeling MUCH more comfortable with DE shaving, I'll only use the cartridges when time doesn't permit me to do a proper DE shave.

No! Not the Carts too! :)

Good luck with your learning. It can be a lot of fun. After the first few weeks of starting the Wet Shave many many years ago, I tossed out all the Cart razors. It made me feel good to get rid of them. Then one day the wife asked where I had put them. OOPS. I forgot she used them too.

After a few months, you will be able to do a quick one-pass shave with a DE just like a Cart. Pick up a shave Stick of soap for those days or a cream designed for no brush. Rub it around, wet your razor, and shave. 1-minute and one-pass shave is done.

Nowadays I don't shave until I have the time. And I got time.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I’ve never had the patience to do wildlife properly. But I just love capturing the landscape. Thankfully I’ve been able to turn it into my job.

You know what usually happens to me when I want to take pictures of wild life? They always have their butts facing me, which doesn't make for a good picture! Theres only been a couple times in my life, where I was able to get a proper shot of them, its just one of the reasons why I don't take pictures of wildlife anymore, I simply do not have the patience to wait, burning battery in my camera being at the ready, waiting for them, to turn their butts around. Screw that!

I rather take pictures of my shaving gear, much funner for me, none of the BS. 😝

Top Bottom