What's new

Getting better at Honing!!

I just got the Theirs-Issard 🐑 & 🐺 6/8.

The gentleman I bought it off of said it wasn’t tree topping hairs so I probably would need to hone it.

I wasn’t sure if I should just touch it up or kill the edge and start at the 1K.

So talking to my fellow WetShaving buddys like 👨🏼‍⚕️ Dr. Matt and Anthony “The Stallion” 🐎 and another friend of mine. Anthony and Matt said I should kill the edge and start over, and my other friend said that I could if I wanted to just take it to the 8K , then the 12k , do my chromium oxide and stroping.

To be honest both probably would’ve worked, but since i’ve only been honing for such a short period of time ( bout 8 months) it’s better to get the practice in now.

I use the Naniwa progression. And mine goes as follows…. 👇🏻

1k 3k 8k 12k

then I do chromium oxide on Polly webbing (aka cloth side) than finish with 50-100 on leather. Switching up between horse, and cowhide English bridal.

And I did the Shave test today.

I had about a weeks worth of growth I didn’t use any pre-shave and it took it like a hot knife through butter!

Boy that feels good!!! Sharpening a piece of steel 🔪 on a rock from Mother Earth 🌎 and shaving your face with it is such a rewarding sensation and a sense of accomplishment it’s hard to explain to ppl that have never done it.

Here she is 👇🏻
F07EC66F-F5D8-4093-83EB-8CD6F5322DC6.jpeg
975509DB-5520-4566-96E3-204D3F01B60D.jpeg

Love that razor man. And congrats on the edge, it's fun getting there yourself.
What straights do you have? As of right now I just have this, a Dubl Duck Special No.1 and 3 Gold Dollars.

I had a J.A. Henckel and another TI but sold/traded them.

What straights do you have? As of right now I just have this, a Dubl Duck Special No.1 and 3 Gold Dollars.

I had a J.A. Henckel and another TI but sold/traded them.
Daily driver is a T.I. 1/2 hollow.
Also have a GD and a Ralf Aust. All 6/8. The GD is my honing beater and usually use it when testing a new edge. The Aust, although a great razor, doesn't get much use. Learned that full hollows aren't my favorite. Still going to hold onto it though.

Boy that feels good!!! Sharpening a piece of steel 🔪 on a rock from Mother Earth 🌎 and shaving your face with it is such a rewarding sensation and a sense of accomplishment it’s hard to explain to ppl that have never done it.
I've been at this a while, and I fully agree.

I tell my knife enthusiast friends; "You know that feeling when you put a great edge on a knife and it effortlessly glides through receipt paper or whatever your cutting? Straight razor shaving is that, times ten, every morning!"

Congrats

I just got the Theirs-Issard 🐑 & 🐺 6/8.

The gentleman I bought it off of said it wasn’t tree topping hairs so I probably would need to hone it.

I wasn’t sure if I should just touch it up or kill the edge and start at the 1K.

So talking to my fellow WetShaving buddys like 👨🏼‍⚕️ Dr. Matt and Anthony “The Stallion” 🐎 and another friend of mine. Anthony and Matt said I should kill the edge and start over, and my other friend said that I could if I wanted to just take it to the 8K , then the 12k , do my chromium oxide and stroping.

To be honest both probably would’ve worked, but since i’ve only been honing for such a short period of time ( bout 8 months) it’s better to get the practice in now.

I use the Naniwa progression. And mine goes as follows…. 👇🏻

1k 3k 8k 12k

then I do chromium oxide on Polly webbing (aka cloth side) than finish with 50-100 on leather. Switching up between horse, and cowhide English bridal.

And I did the Shave test today.

I had about a weeks worth of growth I didn’t use any pre-shave and it took it like a hot knife through butter!

Here she is 👇🏻View attachment 1414907View attachment 1414908
Yes that’s brilliant.
I feel like that too, that the feeling you get from sharpening a piece of steel to a razors edge on a piece of ancient seabed really brings out your inner caveman.

Congrats on getting a fine shaving edge. It is a great feeling. Now that you are on your way I'd recommend learning a bit about restoration. As the heal of that razor shouldn't have a big point on it. It should be round. It looks as if someone has honed the stabilizer so much it's half gone. You should never hone the stabilizer. Little details like this are best to be fixed before starting the honing process as you don't want to do it now as it would have to hone it all over again.

You have done well to get a great edge. Now learn more about the details. Restoration is fun and can bump up that enjoyment you found by making a great edge, even higher.

Top Bottom