What's new

Getting Bent

I just received my new Dovo SS 5/8 from Classic and started to set the bevel. That's when I noticed that it is bent! I noticed it shined only on the ends on one side and in the center portion on the opposite side. What's more, the side that only honed on the ends was at a greater angle, that is, it seems to lay flatter on the stone because the polished edge was much wider than the other side.
I can still put an edge on it and get a decent shave, but it just looks like poor craftsmanship - :001_huh:

What are you doing resetting a bevel on a new razor? if it needs that much work its defective and should have been sent back. New razors probably need varying degrees of honing to make them shave ready but there is a limit.

If you can spot such flaws in the blade, you should have sent it back immediately.

To be honest, you don't have my sympathy vote and it very much sounds as of you have been meddling. Sorry.

If you can spot such flaws in the blade, you should have sent it back immediately.

To be honest, you don't have my sympathy vote and it very much sounds as of you have been meddling. Sorry.

A quick look at the Classic site shows that all of their Dovo blades come "presharpened." I do believe Lynn does the honing for Classic doesn't he? Or does presharpened mean a factory edge *shudder*.

Lynn would have spotted such an obvious defect. Just come out with it. What did you do? :lol:

Sounds like he's straight honing and the blade is warped. An X-stroke would not have that problem.

Whether he did anything to the blade, I make no comment or conjecture.

Sounds like he's straight honing and the blade is warped. An X-stroke would not have that problem.

Lol, I was joking when I said what did you do earlier.

I am interested to hear more about this situation though...

Is Classic Shaving selling warped blades now ? Doesn't Lynn finish them up for Classic ? Maybe a bad one got by somehow ?? I'm sure they will take care of it .

cityjim

The shavettes are the only not presharpened razors on classicshaving's site:lol:

So I guess Lynn must have fallen asleep while honing yours!

Send it back!

Not entirely sure but I believe at classic shaving you can opt to recieve your razor with only the factory edge and get $15 off posted price. As for Lynn he must be hella busy as he for sure sharpens for Straight razor designs and Vintage blades.

Top Bottom