What's new

Getting a Haircut during this Crisis, Hmmm?

I agree with everything that Jim says above and I'll just add a few of my own personal preferences.

Cut your hair standing up in the bathroom and clean up is pretty easy. Just pick/sweep the hair off the floor and put in the wastebasket. I don't even need the second mirror for most touch ups. I use that only for using the trimmer around the ears.

Using clippers/trimmers are easier than using scissors and tend to lead to less mistakes. You can actually get by without using scissors at all but most people will only need them for trimming the very front of your hair (and there is some technique involved).

All in all, I agree with his points and especially that anyone can do it and it isn't hard to do.

I also agree that once you get the hang of it, you can easily look like you never need a haircut or that you have just had one. You tend to cut your hair just a little and you do it more often so it just looks like your hair never grows.

One thing I quickly noticed about cutting your own hair is that when the hair starts to grow past the start of your ears, that's when looking into the mirror you start to think "My hair is looking a little shaggy".

I have sometimes just picked up the trimmer and a second mirror and cut just where the hair touches the ear and have stopped there. Suddenly it looks like I've just had a complete haircut.:)

If you wait too long of course you need to do more but often for a quick job that's all you need to do. Trim neck hair at the same time if that's needed.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
One thing I quickly noticed about cutting your own hair is that when the hair starts to grow past the start of your ears, that's when looking into the mirror you start to think "My hair is looking a little shaggy".

I have sometimes just picked up the trimmer and a second mirror and cut just where the hair touches the ear and have stopped there. Suddenly it looks like I've just had a complete haircut.:)

If you wait too long of course you need to do more but often for a quick job that's all you need to do. Trim neck hair at the same time if that's needed.

Yes, exactly.

I knew nothing at all about cutting my hair when I started participating in this thread. Various gentlemen helped me. Watching videos and reading helped me. A bit of practice helped me. Now I'm not too bad at it. If I can pick it up anyone can (if they do their homework).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Bought a Whal hair clipper set for $25 when COVID started, wife have been cutting my hair, use 5 guide all over then 4 on the sides. Looks good.....

In mid March I purchased a Wahl haircutting set and ordered a Flowbee. For those who never heard of a Flowbee it is a haircutting system that probably came out in the late 80's early 90's. Basically it is an electric hair trimmer that you connect to a vacuum cleaner. The vacuum pulls your hair straight and the cutters cut the hair all the same length. It comes with different size spacers that you can use to set the length of your hair. It also comes with a slanted spacer if you want to taper the sides and the back of the neck. I use the Flowbee on my hair and then my wife trims up the edges around my ears and the back of the neck. The hair trimmed by the Flowbee is of course sucked up into the vacuum cleaner for easy disposal. I still use it.

I knew nothing at all about cutting my hair when I started participating in this thread. Various gentlemen helped me. Watching videos and reading helped me. A bit of practice helped me. Now I'm not too bad at it. If I can pick it up anyone can (if they do their homework).

I've been cutting my own hair for a little while now, and I don't think I'll think I'll ever look back. I leaned heavily on internet resources like YouTube, much like I did when I started DE shaving. Honestly, it's really not that hard (also much like DE shaving!). My first cut wasn't perfect by a long stretch, but it was just slightly below par from what I'd expect from a mall barbershop. That said, by my third or fourth self-haircut, I was on par with the barber I was paying $30 a cut for. At present, I'm extremely pleased with my haircut, which is not a small thing in my line of work. When I walk into a courtroom, I want a fine suit, a fresh haircut, and good shave (in that order).

Key Question: You don't pay a barber $15 to shave you because they can't do it as well as you can. Why would you pay them $25 to cut your hair as poorly as they shave you?

The thing that has helped me the most is a 3-way mirror, which allows me to see not only the sides of my head, but also the back of my head. Fiddling around with a hand mirror in one hand, and a pair of clipper in the other was very challenging for me. A three way mirror made it easy. Given the choice between a $100 set of clippers with no 3-way mirror, or a $20 set of clippers and a 3-way mirror, I'd pick the latter every time. Since I don't have to choose, I have both. 😋

Because I like to tinker, I made my own 3 way mirror with a bit of 1/4" plywood, some mirror tiles from Home Depot, and a bit of epoxy, but you can buy a ready made version for about $90. It's worth every penny! Here is a link to the commercial product:

If pennies count though, here is short video on how to make one for $20 with a couple mirrors and some hinges (much easier than what I did).

I don't have any pictures of my own haircut because I have an irreconcilable aversion to selfies, but I did take a recent before/after pic of the haircut I gave my son with my newly acquired skills. Between the two of us, that's about $50 dollars every month I can reallocate towards razors/soaps/brushes. :)

P.S. Yes his shirt is on backwards and covered in water colors, but sans actual in-person school here in NY, a 5 year old scholar can get away with such things these days... :)

proxy.php

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've been cutting my own hair for a little while now, and I don't think I'll think I'll ever look back. I leaned heavily on internet resources like YouTube, much like I did when I started DE shaving. Honestly, it's really not that hard (also much like DE shaving!). My first cut wasn't perfect by a long stretch, but it was just slightly below par from what I'd expect from a mall barbershop. That said, by my third or fourth self-haircut, I was on par with the barber I was paying $30 a cut for. At present, I'm extremely pleased with my haircut, which is not a small thing in my line of work. When I walk into a courtroom, I want a fine suit, a fresh haircut, and good shave (in that order).

Key Question: You don't pay a barber $15 to shave you because they can't do it as well as you can. Why would you pay them $25 to cut your hair as poorly as they shave you?

The thing that has helped me the most is a 3-way mirror, which allows me to see not only the sides of my head, but also the back of my head. Fiddling around with a hand mirror in one hand, and a pair of clipper in the other was very challenging for me. A three way mirror made it easy. Given the choice between a $100 set of clippers with no 3-way mirror, or a $20 set of clippers and a 3-way mirror, I'd pick the latter every time. Since I don't have to choose, I have both. 😋

Because I like to tinker, I made my own 3 way mirror with a bit of 1/4" plywood, some mirror tiles from Home Depot, and a bit of epoxy, but you can buy a ready made version for about $90. It's worth every penny! Here is a link to the commercial product:

If pennies count though, here is short video on how to make one for $20 with a couple mirrors and some hinges (much easier than what I did).

I don't have any pictures of my own haircut because I have an irreconcilable aversion to selfies, but I did take a recent before/after pic of the haircut I gave my son with my newly acquired skills. Between the two of us, that's about $50 dollars every month I can reallocate towards razors/soaps/brushes. :)

P.S. Yes his shirt is on backwards and covered in water colors, but sans actual in-person school here in NY, a 5 year old scholar can get away with such things these days... :)

proxy.php
Also it kind of makes sense with covid virus spreading, it is important in these times depending your age group or really any age group. It is going to be a hard slog for hair stylists & barbers for another year until they figure a vaccine and you save some money towards other hobbies like shaving. I have been trimming my hair every 3 weeks for about 4 years now and no one really notices a difference other than months back fellows wanted a hair cut and would mention I got a hair cut & where with all the covid restrictions were on.
After 4 years all my shaving gear has been paid for, a good hair stylist or barber does do a better job possibly but over time my skills are better and I'm happy. I mentioned to the hair stylist just before stopping getting haircuts from her, I don't have much hair to cut anyways, but she was being nice said I had lots to cut and wanted me as customer to come back like the last 5 years prior & shortly afterwards started cutting my own hair.
You have to add also in costs that we all take for granted like burning 3 or 4 bucks of gasoline driving to the mall, tipping and buying stuff because your at the mall like lunch or cloths that is not really needed I found.(out of site out of mind!)
Have some great shaves! Stay & Think safe in these times!

I have been trimming my hair every 3 weeks for about 4 years now and no one really notices a difference other than months back fellows wanted a hair cut and would mention I got a hair cut & where with all the covid restrictions were on.

Lol. A lot of people were asking me where I was getting my haircut done as well. Here in NY barbers were shut down for months. I actually loaned out my 3 way mirror and clippers to some friends, who cut their own hair, as well as their kids hair. :)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I suppose it depends on the shop. Where I go you must wait in your car until your chair is empty and sanitized. They cut the staff way down and put clear dividers between the chairs. They take your temp upon entry and make you sign an affidavit that states you forfeit your house if anyone gets the virus (or something like that). Everyone, of course, wears a mask.

My stylist has hearing issues and has always had her own little one chair room within the shop, so that makes it easier. Even so, I wait way longer than normal between haircuts.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Handsome son, Nick, from what I can see of him, and great job with his haircut.

Having cut my hair several times (all mentioned in this thread) I believe what you say about the value of having a good three way mirror. I bought early on a small trifold mirror but it's way way too small and useless for looking at the back of my head. It's pretty obvious to me that I can do a good job without a good view of the back, but why limit myself.

In other words I need a good, and large enough trifold mirror.

None of the commercially available versions appeal to me (overpriced, too small). I watched all the videos I could find on the DIY versions. The big problem the guys making them seemed to encounter was the problem of how to fold them. One side folds correctly but the second side doesn't. Of course, we're not talking highly skilled DIY trifold makers here.

I don't have a place to fix the mirror to the wall permanently. I've not yet solved the folding question. That doesn't mean I can't but I've got to learn more about hinges and such. Does the trifold mirror you made fold so that all three pieces make one rectangle? If so, could you outline how you did the hinges? Any hints would be appreciated.

I'm actually pretty pleased with my haircuts so far and with my progress on the learning curve, but I'd like to move up a level or two and need more visual information to make that happen. My good hand mirror helps but I need to be able to see what I'm doing with the scissors and clippers in real time (as you discussed).

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

One side folds correctly but the second side doesn't. Of course, we're not talking highly skilled DIY trifold makers here.

If I understand correctly, I think you're asking whether it folds down flat for storage. I didn't design mine to do that, i just hangs by it's brackets of a shelving unit in my basement pantry. It doesn't take up much space.

I don't have a place to fix the mirror to the wall permanently.

I made door hangers for mine out of a piece of 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum bar stock I bought at home depot for $5. It's malleable stuff, so I just bent it into 2 brackets that I screwed to the back of the 1/4" plywood backing. That way, I can store it in the basement, and just hang it off a door when it's time for a haircut

I'd like to move up a level or two and need more visual information to make that happen.

A three way mirror was a game-changer for me. My haircut is a bit tricky (for me). It's a classic taper fade crew cut using guards 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, and 5 on the sides, a 7 on most of the top, and an 8 for the front 2 inches of the top. It's similar to my son's cut but a bit shorter. A 3-way mirror makes it easy to keep the taper on the sides and back look seamless.

I think that three 12"x12" mirrors is the perfect size. You can see every possible angle. Another key thing is lighting. I use big led shop light to cover my bases.

I'll take a picture of my setup tonight. It ain't pretty, but it gets the job done!

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

@Dovo1695, after reading your post you got me thinking how to free up my hands and use my hair trimmer and see better and not a moving target with my other hand using a mirror. I had all these supplies laying about the house so just improvised a little. I cut my hair this morning and thought this could of helped me a little. The nice thing it is light weight and steady so to see if every thing that is going good when using my electric trimmer. I have used a make shift heavy paper template so not to cut scalp hair when shaving my back of neck also. I guess you could use it also for guiding scissors. All I used was a Camera stand and a folding travel mirror( used some duct tape to keep it flipping a round) and so the next time I will use it to zero in with my big wall mirror, it will work well because I sort of tested it with a little clean up work I could not see well and using a pair of scissors from my morning's hair cut.
Hair trimming mirror stand 1.2.jpg
Hair trimming mirror stand1.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't vouch for or entirely understand whether this article on building a trifold mirror answers all the most basic questions, but it surely looks like a step in the right direction. It would be great if the writer had explicitly stated whether this design folds flat for storage and transport, and included a photo to that effect.

1603067494166.png1603067536031.png

The advice to notice and study hinges around your world seems perfect.

The thumbnails above can be enlarged. Both are from the article.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't vouch for or entirely understand whether this article on building a trifold mirror answers all the most basic questions, but it surely looks like a step in the right direction. It would be great if the writer had explicitly stated whether this design folds flat for storage and transport, and included a photo to that effect.

View attachment 1170607View attachment 1170608

The advice to notice and study hinges around your world seems perfect.

The thumbnails above can be enlarged. Both are from the article.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yeah, you don't want to do it like that. That's not going to allow it to fold completely flat.

Here is the best DIY video I have seen to date. It will meet your requirements and then some. It has the following virtues:
  • It will fold truly flat
  • It has built in led lights (a worthwhile upgrade that's super easy)
  • It can be hung on a door
  • Has a parts list with prices and sources (in the vid description)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yeah, you don't want to do it like that. That's not going to allow it to fold completely flat.

Here is the best DIY video I have seen to date. It will meet your requirements and then some. It has the following virtues:
  • It will fold truly flat
  • It has built in led lights (a worthwhile upgrade that's super easy)
  • It can be hung on a door
  • Has a parts list with prices and sources (in the vid description)

I watched part of the video and saw how much it helps (with getting the hinges just right). That's the issue of course.

Thanks so much.

I'd seen this video before but confused it with another I'd already watched and thus skipped this one. My bad.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Here is the best DIY video I have seen to date.

I've spent a while watching the video, studying some parts of it actually.

The gentleman who made the video describes how to make a relatively small (not too small; 16 inches x 16 inches) and relatively portable trifold mirror with lights.

The trifold mirror he uses himself at home is larger. He describes it too. It has mirrors which are 19 inches x 23 inches. With it he uses a more permanent mounting system. This larger mirror doesn't actually live all the time on the wall (that is, it easily detaches from the wall), but its mounting system is not portable (that is, half the mounting system is on the mirror; the other half is permanently attached to the wall; thus one can't take the entire system somewhere else and hang it without installing screws into the second location).

In my opinion the larger and more permanent system looks more suitable for my needs. Also it doesn't have the hard to find and somewhat awkward door mounting system which is unlikely to work with thick solid wood doors in my old house.

The 19x23 mirrors can be used either horizontally or vertically (if that makes sense to you). With the larger mirror one might want to use three hinges (or not).

For the second set of hinges (the hinges which allow the third mirror to fold flat) cabinet hinges would work and not require any bending.

I'm still figuring a few things out before I go to Walmart and the hardware store.

Thanks for posting this helpful video.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't see the need. I understand it if you want it but a brightly lit bathroom with a wall mounted bathroom mirror or medicine chest mirror along with a small hand held mirror for around the ears and neck works fine for me.

Much of what I do I could do largely by feel.

A very cheap but effective setup is to get one of those tall dressing mirrors meant to be hung on the back of a door. With a wall-mounted mirror in the bathroom, you can temorarily set the tall door mirror on the bathroom counter, leaning on the side wall, and that lets you see the sides/back with both hands free.

Top Bottom