What's new

Getting a Haircut during this Crisis, Hmmm?

I got some clippers last week and buzzed a grade 1. Not had a grade one since I was a I kid. I like it! No maintenance and easy to live with!! It’ll be a shock when I pop into work next but I don’t care, I’m the class clown and normally Centre of attention anyway haha

I don’t get hair cuts I shave my head with clippers and wear a snap back style cap so for me it not important what my hair looks like I personally think some guy benefit from a hair cut others have great bone structure to their head and can go shaved/clipped.

I use the older model of this clipper. Have had it for over 15 years & it still cuts like new. Be sure to periodically remove the cutter assemble & brush out all the hair residue & lube the cutters. I'm using a blade oil made of camellia oil & lanolin, but any clipper grease, or even a food grade silicone spray dry lube should do.
I appreciate the tip about the blade oil. I would not have thought of it. I see Wahl brand has a product on Amazon. That may have to do for now. Thank you.

The week before we were locked down I was thinking, "I should get a haircut, but I'll just do it next week".

I'd been saying that for weeks. My sideburns are now long enough to almost reach my eyebrows.

My hair is unforgiving if I cut it, fluffy on the sides and a double cowlick in the back, so I either have to keep it semi-long or super short. Anything in the middle is a cluster.

It really aggravating me the past few days because of all the flyaways over/around the ears and sideburns. I may take a hack at it in the next day or two once I get work caught up.

I bought this, I couldn’t take it any more, grade one and done!

Attachments

• FCD1135B-0DC4-4AA4-B3BB-2CAF74FEFFAD.jpeg
    FCD1135B-0DC4-4AA4-B3BB-2CAF74FEFFAD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
My wife is threatening to cut mine with my daughter’s clippers. I guess if it looks awful I’ve got plenty of time for it to grow back. I was kinda thinking about growing it out like Willie Nelson.

This has been a question around here, and as the father of three boys, I'll give you the current plan.
we all had haircuts at the end of March, so that's our starting point. The oldest two, 12.5 and 9 are growing their hair long, so that's easy. The 7 year old has a good haircut for now, and I think we'll trim it when it starts looking rough.

As for my hair, which isn't the thick, full head of hair I had in my 20s (I have male pattern baldness up front and slight show of the crown in the back), I think when I need a haircut, I'll simply pull out the clippers and go #1 or #2 all around. Either the hair grows back or it doesn't. My hair is the least of my concerns.

Stating that, another group I am a member of asked the same question and I posed the question for those who may be folically challenged. This gentleman gleefully suggested "now is the time to grow out your hair, regardless of how much you have. It is time to look like a mad scientist, because you can" I absolutely love that attitude.

We can make it. We will buy a hair clipper and be set. It's not that difficult. I've been doing this for some time.

Imagine how women will look at the end of this situation with coiffures, beauty salons etc. closed for months... This is the tragedy.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I badly needed a haircut and was a few weeks overdue when the shops were closed. My cuts have been done by a great stylist for years. I need to look as good as possible at work.

On the other hand, I can get away with just about anything in this crisis I suspect. Good thing, because I'm looking pretty unkempt.

I've explored tons of options for doing it myself, but have decided on nothing.

1586199840237.png

This comb thingy might be useful. It can be used with scissors or clippers. Whether it can be used to cut your own hair is up in the air.

I don't at this point want to go the GI buzzed military haircut route or get a do it yourself crewcut, but I'm not ruling it out entirely. In other words, I'd like to preserve the good haircut or style of cut my stylist has given me.

My wife says she's not cutting my hair. She means it I think.

The clippers which most appeal to me are the most expensive - who'd guess? - cordless and made by Oster.

1586200291759.png

Problem is the price. They're about $300 with only two blades. Blades are expensive, but these look like the bee's knees. The Oster 76 looks good, too, but like a Harley looks good, heavy and powerful, but corded; lots of people end up with 'em after trying inexpensive clippers which didn't last for the duration.

I've looked at all the other clippers, corded and cordless and vacuum cleaner attached, etc, that have been mentioned. Some are unavailable now. It's hard to know what to get (if anything), but there are online review sites and such.

Can it be done?.jpeg

I know people who cut their own hair. Most of them are into the GI cuts which look very doable. I know one man who sometimes cuts his own full movie star looking hair. Frankly, his do it himself hair cuts are the only ones I've ever seen which look like the $700 hair cuts politicians and movie stars are said to get. He's an inspiration!

I know it can be done.

That doesn't mean I can do it.

At the moment I'm just looking at all the options. My bet is I'm not the only one.

Happy shaves (and haircuts),

Jim

I badly needed a haircut and was a few weeks overdue when the shops were closed. My cuts have been done by a great stylist for years. I need to look as good as possible at work.

On the other hand, I can get away with just about anything in this crisis I suspect. Good thing, because I'm looking pretty unkempt.

I've explored tons of options for doing it myself, but have decided on nothing.

View attachment 1083485

This comb thingy might be useful. It can be used with scissors or clippers. Whether it can be used to cut your own hair is up in the air.

I don't at this point want to go the GI buzzed military haircut route or get a do it yourself crewcut, but I'm not ruling it out entirely. In other words, I'd like to preserve the good haircut or style of cut my stylist has given me.

My wife says she's not cutting my hair. She means it I think.

The clippers which most appeal to me are the most expensive - who'd guess? - cordless and made by Oster.

View attachment 1083486

Problem is the price. They're about $300 with only two blades. Blades are expensive, but these look like the bee's knees. The Oster 76 looks good, too, but like a Harley looks good, heavy and powerful, but corded; lots of people end up with 'em after trying inexpensive clippers which didn't last for the duration.

I've looked at all the other clippers, corded and cordless and vacuum cleaner attached, etc, that have been mentioned. Some are unavailable now. It's hard to know what to get (if anything), but there are online review sites and such.

View attachment 1083487

I know people who cut their own hair. Most of them are into the GI cuts which look very doable. I know one man who sometimes cuts his own full movie star looking hair. Frankly, his do it himself hair cuts are the only ones I've ever seen which look like the $700 hair cuts politicians and movie stars are said to get. He's an inspiration!

I know it can be done.

That doesn't mean I can do it.

At the moment I'm just looking at all the options. My bet is I'm not the only one.

Happy shaves (and haircuts),

Jim
I have an Oster76 with a few blades. I think there is a reason old school barbers use them. They go forever. Maybe just a change of the brushes is all they need if used commercially. Mine will surely outlive me using one a week.

I've been cutting my own hair for years using a Wahl. The hardest part was cutting/lining up the back and learning how to fade, taper, and blend properly. Once muscle memory kicked in, the former was easy. I still occasionally mess up the latter and have to buzz down.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just had this delivered by Amazon and my wife did a great job after watching a tutorial on YouTube. It has a little vacuum on it, so clean up was a snap. You simply start with a 1" to 3/4" to 1/2" to 1/4" to 1/8" and your done. She honestly did as good of a job as the lady who has cut my hair for years. The lady who has been cutting my hair is about to retire, so I doubt I will ever go back to a barber/salon on a regular basis.

Is that one cordless?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have an Oster76 with a few blades. I think there is a reason old school barbers use them. They go forever. Maybe just a change of the brushes is all they need if used commercially. Mine will surely outlive me using one a week.

What kind of cuts do you give yourself with the Oster 76?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I borrowed this post from another thread. It's loaded with good tips (I think) and is very inspiring.

Cutting your own hair is easy. You don't have to only stay with a buzz cut and you don't have to get a bowl cut like in the "Dumb and Dumber" picture. That was always my concern before I actually tried it myself.

I went to a "salon" for years paying about $35 because people I knew who cut their own hair looked like that "Dumb and Dumber" picture. You don't notice most self given haircuts. You only notice the ones who don't know what they are doing and who haven't read anything about haircuts and who haven't bothered to watch YouTube.

The back and ears aren't major issues either.

I spent about $60 for the "deluxe" Wahl set, with a canvas zippered case, electric clippers, many guards, an eyebrow trimming guard (fool proof), a pair of scissors, and a battery powered trimmer around the ears and for the bottom of the neck.

I also spent another $15 for a battery powered nose (and ear) hair trimmer. Now I can easily do everything that the "salon" did.

If you only want a number 2 on top and number 1 on the sides it's even easier. If you want a little more traditional haircut such as a number 5 on the top and 4 blended to 3 around the ears. That's easy too. Just put the number 5 guard on and go all over your hair by feel. I also stand in front of the bathroom mirror. You can cut in all directions with the guard on.

Now put the number 4 on and go over the sides and back. Finally use the number 3 around the ears and blend in up the sides pulling the clippers away from the head as you get closer to the top of the head. Look at a YouTube video a couple of times just to watch someone else doing it.

For the front you just comb your hair straight down and then using the hair cutting scissors you just use the very tip and you snip your hair at about a 45 degree angle. You don't cut it all across like in the "Dumb and Dumber" picture. Again, read an article about this or look at YouTube videos. Even if you push your hair back, this is still the way to cut the front.

When you are using the number 5 guard all over your head initially just put your hand over the very front of your head and don't cut that (save that for the scissors).

Use a hand held mirror and the bathroom mirror when you trim the bottom of the back of your head. You use the battery powered trimmer for this which has no guard so you start at the bottom and pull down so there will be no mistakes. Use both mirrors for around your ears as well.

Just comb your hair down over your ears and then, using the two mirrors, use the smaller battery powered trimmer again and just cut the hair when it touches your ear. So you are just going around the ear.

That's it. If you ever what to look like you've had a haircut without doing all that, just do the part around your ears and do you neck and it will look like you've had a haircut. :)

It's really pretty fool proof unless you are actually an idiot. If you are an idiot just look at a few YouTube videos first and you will still get a good haircut.

Don't let the hair fall in the sink. Let in fall on the floor. It's easier to pick up that way. They sink is wet, drains are easy to clog up. Dry hair on the floor is easy to pick up.

Thanks to the gentleman who posted it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Ordered some clippers, but will not have 'em until about two weeks from today. That will give me some time to watch videos and such.

I'm pretty sure I can do this reasonably well. If others can, and they can, I can, too.

1586209741270.png

Oh, the clippers I ordered? The Oster 76. I considered others, and almost bought another brand, Wahl, but their prices were also pretty high. Either that or they were sold out. Also considered buying a refurbished model, but too many of the reviews described real issues (it seems somewhat of a roll of the dice) so I went for brand new + attachments.

It's gotta be a boom time for the clipper sales segment of the economy.

Happy haircuts,

Jim

Top Bottom