What's new

Get yourself a styptic pen!

So about 3 weeks ago I nicked the mole on my neck and it bled....and bled.... And bled..... For basically the whole day. I had to put a band-aid on it just to leave the house!

All I had on hand was hydrogen peroxide at the time. Anyways, I'm at wal mart and I see a styptic pen for 94 cents, I figure what the hell, I'll add it to the den.

A couple days ago I nicked that damn mole again, this time I used the styptic pen. Bleeding was stopped after less than 5 seconds!! I don't know what's in that thing but damn it works! Best 94 cents I've ever spent!

Just thought I'd share with everyone :)

If you don't have one, get one, or three!

Jim

I do have two moles in my shave pass. One is just under where I begin to cut sideburns, I used to cut it all the time with cart.s, yet to do so with the DE. I do get nicks in the neck area and use my styptic pencil, works great. Anybody prefer the alum block, I was considering getting one but could only find the pencil this far in a store.

I too have a couple of moles on my neck pass, such a pain in the rear end. I keep nicking them with my DE and its so frustrating, I just picked up the Clubman Styptic pencil today and WOW instead of using toilet paper and looking like an idiot, I can use the pencil and in a couple of seconds im dry! best shaving investment I've made yet!

As for the alum block gibson, I am interested too. I havent tried one either but if you do let me know how well it works!

I do have two moles in my shave pass. One is just under where I begin to cut sideburns, I used to cut it all the time with cart.s, yet to do so with the DE. I do get nicks in the neck area and use my styptic pencil, works great. Anybody prefer the alum block, I was considering getting one but could only find the pencil this far in a store.

Alum is good for light "weepers"... where you got a bit too aggressive and you see a number of "spots" that aren't going to drip, but if you dab them with a tissue they leave spots.

Always worked for me, but I only need it once a year. Also how are they inconvenient?

Well for me, all the ones I can get in the UK break very easily. I have to rinse the pencil after use to get rid of any blood.

The gel, i can just squirt a bit on my finger and apply to be nick. Done and dusted. Also, it doesn't sting as much as a pencil and the bleeding stops instantly.

But thats just me, I'm guessing as a criminal mastermind, you like the pain :001_tt2:

Well for me, all the ones I can get in the UK break very easily. I have to rinse the pencil after use to get rid of any blood.

The gel, i can just squirt a bit on my finger and apply to be nick. Done and dusted. Also, it doesn't sting as much as a pencil and the bleeding stops instantly.

But thats just me, I'm guessing as a criminal mastermind, you like the pain :001_tt2:

Hmm my one from the UK has served me fine these past years. But yes you have to rinse it to get rid of the blood.

If you are looking for alum in stores, go to a pharmacy and see if they have "Crystal Deodorant". It is essentially a chunk a alum block in a twist up container which makes it very easy to apply to the face.

I use the Proraso gel as well and it works great. As the member above stated, Alum is fine for a weeper but won't do a thing for a nick or cut.

Would that gel work just as good as the pen on a nicked mole? I mean the bleeding was done immediately, and for those who have nicked a mole, you know those bleed forever!

Would that gel work just as good as the pen on a nicked mole? I mean the bleeding was done immediately, and for those who have nicked a mole, you know those bleed forever!

In a session of home-surgery (I will neither confirm nor deny whether alcohol was involved) I dug into my finger and quite literally tore a wart out with my fingernails.
This left a "divot" that was quite deep, and it was bleeding badly.

The gel did the trick combined with pressure. Problem was I had to reapply the gel any time I lifted my other finger.
The gel feels almost like superglue, but it's not a cyanoacrylate... it is definitely alum-bearing. I don't know what the gel base is.

So about 3 weeks ago I nicked the mole on my neck and it bled....and bled.... And bled..... For basically the whole day. I had to put a band-aid on it just to leave the house!

All I had on hand was hydrogen peroxide at the time. Anyways, I'm at wal mart and I see a styptic pen for 94 cents, I figure what the hell, I'll add it to the den.

A couple days ago I nicked that damn mole again, this time I used the styptic pen. Bleeding was stopped after less than 5 seconds!! I don't know what's in that thing but damn it works! Best 94 cents I've ever spent!

Just thought I'd share with everyone :)

If you don't have one, get one, or three!

Jim

Jim good advise, thank you for sharing.What was the razor and blade that made you bleed?

The pencil works fine for most shaving nicks/cuts, but check at barber shops and see if they have any liquid styptic. I've used that for years, and just a small drop takes care of any problems. One small bottle, and they are small, will last for years.

Jim good advise, thank you for sharing.What was the razor and blade that made you bleed?

Well it was my fault and not the combo I was using. I just didn't concentrate like I usually do when going over that area.

It was an EJ89 and a personna barber blade. My favorite combo thus far in my early DE shaving days :)

The gel sets over the cut plus contains ALUM. I cut my lip tonight by shaving XTG over my lip (not best pleased with myself at all for doing such a stupid thing).

It was bleeding quite fast. I dried it and applied the gel. The blood mixed with the gel and set in around 20 seconds. Now I have a red marble on my lip. If I pull it off it will start again. It's doing a great job so far.

Next time if I nick an artery, I'll let you know how the gel goes!

The gel sets over the cut plus contains ALUM. I cut my lip tonight by shaving XTG over my lip (not best pleased with myself at all for doing such a stupid thing).

It was bleeding quite fast. I dried it and applied the gel. The blood mixed with the gel and set in around 20 seconds. Now I have a red marble on my lip. If I pull it off it will start again. It's doing a great job so far.

Next time if I nick an artery, I'll let you know how the gel goes!
I did the the exact thing as you last week with my ATT. I used the gel and it had the same result. Dried over the cut and it did have a red scab but after I washed my face the red spot went away later in the day for the most part. The gel did a great job though. Cautionary note about the ATT R1 - It's a man's razor!

Read here Walgreens had a special on the aftershave balm I like and saw one of these there. Really tired of applying it and then finish getting ready to see blood stains on my neck! Then when cleaning it off I irritate the skin even more!! I hope it helps! Just a few bucks so let's see. It's like chalk though! Kinda freaked out to try it LOL

Top Bottom