What's new

Get woke go broke part 3: New Gillette ad shows black father teaching his trans son to shave

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/gillette-ad-dad-trans-son-shave/

It’s been a strange year for Gillette. This latest ad is another attempt at virtue signaling to show how woke Gillette is. I’m not sure what they are trying to do here, by going after the growing market of transgender shavers, they are turning off a lot of their customer base of cis gender men(men who are born as male)

Do these ads actually make any of you want to buy more new Gillette products?

I really couldn't care less. If a company makes a good product that I enjoy, I will continue to buy it as long as their business practices are up to snuff.

Do these ads actually make any of you want to buy more new Gillette products?
Not in the slightest.
Neither do they turn me off to Gillette products, new or old.

... by going after the growing market of transgender shavers, they are turning off a lot of their customer base of cis gender men ...
I don't see why that would be.
Is that what's actually happening, or is it just a vocal minority who say so, in an attempt to influence the Gillette ad department?

Interesting question!

After their Super Bowl ‘toxic masculinity’ ad, I stopped purchasing almost all P+G products. The exception is St. Petersburg blades that produce very little profit for the US parent. So, this new campaign will not affect my purchase decisions in any respect!!

Just not hitting the link to that. I really just don't see myself buying anything Gillette. Odd, I'll still buy Old Spice. As a P&G stockholder I'm just not happy with where they're going with these ads. It's like they want to lose money.
In the 90s we'd make fun of the beer ads that showed buff dudes with hot women knowing dang well in real life it would be Jimbo with Mary Jane sitting outside they're trailer home getting all domestic violent. But we knew the ads didn't mean nothing.
As soon as you get political with your ads you lose money.
On another note, this whole "cis" thing really had me for a loop. If you ever wanted to get your teeth knocked in where I'm from, call a dude "sis". I think it's a conspiracy to get us straight dudes to call ourselves sissies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I applaud Gillette for this messaging. I'm also a P&G shareholder, and this sort of reach to the younger generation doesn't bother me in the least, in part because the young folks need to become equipped to fix the societal problems my generation created, and because I trust big marketing to address the consumers that need addressing.

Although I still don't buy Gillette products, except blades. And 63 year-olds are not the market Gillette should be addressing.

I'm likely not to say more, as I respect the rules of use.

Last edited:
I think the whole thing is just stupid. Live your life as yourself, not as a member of some dumb tribe. Gillett can't figure out whether they want to be stupid or insulting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I applaud Gillette for this messaging. I'm also a P&G shareholder, and this sort of reach to the younger generation doesn't bother me in the least, in part because the young folks need to become equipped to fix the societal problems my generation created, and because I trust big marketing to address the consumers that need addressing.

Although I still don't buy Gillette products, except blades. And 63 year-olds are not the market Gillette should be addressing.

I'm likely not to say more, as I respect the rules of use.
I would agree if the sales numbers would go up. They're dropping.

And what "societal problems" did your generation create?

Last edited:
I don't buy most of their products but I have no problem with it.

FYI, if you are opposed to this kind of messaging, you are substantially in the minority. It is accomplishing what they want to accomplish, so expect to keep seeing it.

Survey: Gillette's Ad Well Received by Consumers, Positions Its Brand As Socially Responsible
Only survey that counts is sales. They're going down. Remember, surveys also said Trump was going to lose. The proof is in the pudding. The pudding shows sales are down.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Haven't seen the ads, but not sure that anything in advertising would shock me anymore. Not sure why a father teaching his son to shave requires a stock price adjustment, or a boycott, but political posturing today is de rigueur so it doesn't surprise me at all that someone is offended, or that political hay is to be made, or that at my age I am responding to such a non issue.

We live in sad times eh

P & G shareholder, too. Stock price looks okay.

Have no objection to inclusive messaging. Why would I?
I don't care what the message is, as long as sales go up. Might have a Tesla effect happen. Blah blah blah raises the stock price until sales reality hits and the price goes down down down. Businesses are in business to make money. Once they lose sight of that they go out of business. I smell a class action if this exec doesn't get his head out of his butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom