What's new

Get a handle on.... handles

Light vintage: the Gillette common bar and fat Tech handles. The super short ASR (Gem, Ever-Ready) brass handles, less than 3" of sports car handling.

By the bay: rusdrunkbear does good Ti work and will customize them to short skinny dimensions of your spec. TiBam is probably just as good, and does custom sizes, but the Russian post office refuses to show me the handles.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'd forgotten what a cool thread this is.

Thanks for all the great information and cool photos.

I’m such a short/skinny/light zealot that I have 5 spare Merkur shorties and two spare G&F. And if shipping from Russia ever comes unstuck I’ll have two more custom Russian Ti handles from TiBam (also on the bay).

Oh yeah, I also shortened two RazoRock Ti Halo handles:
View attachment 1117371

I have three of these handles but not the skills, confidence, and tools to be sure I could cut 'em without ruining them.

After you used the hacksaw what else needed doing and how'd you do it?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'd forgotten what a cool thread this is.

Thanks for all the great information and cool photos.

I have three of these handles but not the skills, confidence, and tools to be sure I could cut 'em without ruining them.

After you used the hacksaw what else needed doing and how'd you do it?

Happy shaves,

Jim
You still have those three RR Halo handles Jim? I will have my Sherline miniature lathe back in production in a few days if you want to send them my way. I just gotta rewire the speakers and move my stereo (the stereo is currently on the same bench as the lathe).

Man I need a shave

doug

One I sawed off while spinning it at the slowest speed chucked on my wood lathe. The next I sawed while spinning it at the slowest speed chucked in my little drill press. I cleaned up the cut in both cases with a emery cloth and ultra fine (1200? 1500?) paper.

:ouch1: Doug has the real tool.
:ouch1:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
One I sawed off while spinning it at the slowest speed chucked on my wood lathe. The next I sawed while spinning it at the slowest speed chucked in my little drill press. I cleaned up the cut in both cases with a emery cloth and ultra fine (1200? 1500?) paper.

:ouch1: Doug has the real tool.
:ouch1:

Doug has THE REAL TOOL. Indeed he does. Also he knows how to use it.

I'd be getting metal shavings all over the kitchen, etc.

My tools go up the scale to a Dremel in a vise.

Dremel vise..jpg

Sorta like that, but in the kitchen with the vise clamped to a weighted down wooden cutting board.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom