What's new

German Wilkinson Sword

I bought a 10 pack in the black plastic dispenser when on vacation last week and I have used a blade twice. Yesterday's shave had me thinking that it was as bad as a Dorco, Merkur, or Derby blade; the worst blades I have used in my 34C. It pulled on the whiskers and left stubble behind. My cheeks were a bit irritated as well. I settled for a two pass shave and figured I'd try agin today. Today's shave, with the same prep (shower) and software (Lavanda cream) and brush (a two band finest knot), resulted in a much smoother pass of the blade over the skin. The shave went as well as it usually goes with an Astra SP. So...

...the jury's still out...

I'm currently on day 3 of a Wilkinson Sword and I've had a similar experience. I had a really poor first shave but yesterday and today have been pretty comfortable.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Would have been easy to chuck it and the other nine after the first shave!

Yeah, I've had the same experience, except that it didn't get better on the 2nd shave, so tossed it. I might try corking one and see how that goes next time I decide to try them. I've got a few lying around. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them, that's for sure.

Just goes to show you how ones feeling about a blade is so personal and subjective. German Wilkies are amongst my favorites. I can easily ride one to double figure shaves. Corking might do the trick for you. My Super Max Super Stainless are a tad rough on the first shave and have learned that corking (three passes each edge) smooths things out.

Used one of those in the One blade in February. Took it to 25 shaves if I remember correctly, and it wasn't completely finished but I decided to toss it anyway.
Exceptional good blades in my opinion.

Edit: and I used almost exclusively a Merkur 34c throughout February. Just shows that YMMV.

Almost two months ago I tried a German Wilkie and got 7 really nice shave out of it, likely could have taken it to 10 at least but was itching to get to my next trial blade. Because I really liked the German ones I tried the Indian/Gillette blade and for some idiotic reason half expected it to be lackluster by comparison, but I actually really liked them too . . . go figure.

A lot of guys here like the Gillette 7 series, but I haven't had good luck with them so far. YMMV!

Used one of those in the One blade in February. Took it to 25 shaves if I remember correctly, and it wasn't completely finished but I decided to toss it anyway.
Exceptional good blades in my opinion.

I've been using one in a Fatboy for the FFFMM project. Today was shave #25 on the same blade, all at least DFS. I'm waiting to see just how far it goes.

Used one for the 5th time last night in a Superadjustable on 4. I'm still a newbie, probably 8 weeks in. This is my second go around using a German Wilkinson and the first time I've felt confident pushing a DE blade past 3 times. This shave was as smooth as any of the others and on a 3-day growth to boot.

This seems to fall in line with a lot of everyone's experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using one in a Fatboy for the FFFMM project. Today was shave #25 on the same blade, all at least DFS. I'm waiting to see just how far it goes.

I'm not a Excalibur shaver, but still convinced that I would be able to stretch them to 50 shaves if I really wanted to. Problem is that I don't want to because I get bored and want something else :D

Wow. Third shave even better. Very comfortable. Got through the whiskers easily again. I almost can't wait to toss another one in and see if it is rough on its first shave, but I will wait until the weekend.

Wow. Third shave even better. Very comfortable. Got through the whiskers easily again. I almost can't wait to toss another one in and see if it is rough on its first shave, but I will wait until the weekend.

Glad they are performing better for you. It would have been a shame to have tossed the tuck before you were able to give it a proper evaluation.

I’m a fan of the Wilkinson Sword, German, Indian and Chinese. I’ve been able to use them up to a dozen shaves but mostly I change the blades after 7 shaves. It really is YMMV.

I'd say I wish I bought more in Germany, but Astra SPs work at least as well, but are less than half the price. I paid €2,50 for the tuck of 10, IIRC.

I'm not a Excalibur shaver, but still convinced that I would be able to stretch them to 50 shaves if I really wanted to. Problem is that I don't want to because I get bored and want something else :D

That's pretty much the way I feel too, and I'm not Excalibur, either, but I'd like to see, one, how far I can go.

I've had good results with the German made Wilkies. They are not in the 'very sharp' category, but certainly better than Derby or Dorco in my experience. Just a good everyday blade on par with Astras and Personna Lab Blues. YMMV of course, as it's all subjective.

Wilkies give me great shaves, I've used them for years without any problem, I get 5-6 BBS' before I change them. I've always used them in my Gillette Slim and now in many of my razors. I was uncertain about getting the black cases at first but I think there great.

I really like the Indians from China and in fact have bought more after my first experience. I find them extremely good and have some Germans to try. One thing is for sure YMMV.

Top Bottom