What's new

German whetstone?

This was advertised as similar to an Escher German whetstone. It's a very fine, glass-like surface. Anyone know anything about it? Thanks.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 130
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 130
Never seen anyrhing like that, but it looks nice..

What size is the surface? Must thuri style paddles arent so finished and some others appear diy.. not like yours

Cool

Funny idea. I did the exact opposite. I took a Coti paddle and mounted a thuri slab on it. Also replaced the leather and reminded myself how utterly useless I find paddle strops to be.

In all probability that is a thuri, but it's not a sure thing by any means. There are many german paddles out there with slates that in use are plainly not Thuringian. The only way to know is to use it.

Very neat. Is there anything on the other side?
If not you should mount a yellow coti on it :p

Funny idea. I did the exact opposite. I took a Coti paddle and mounted a thuri slab on it. Also replaced the leather and reminded myself how utterly useless I find paddle strops to be.

In all probability that is a thuri, but it's not a sure thing by any means. There are many german paddles out there with slates that in use are plainly not Thuringian. The only way to know is to use it.

Leather strop is on the other side, I find it useless. The stone produces great edges. After using water on coti I use this stone and it improved keenness so mounting on a coti makes sense.

Could be a thuringian but reminds me more on a Swedenstein....

You could compare to this one, the picture is not that good...does the stone have some inclusions or patterns ? Is it somewhat green or olive?

Mostly the Swedensteins are mounted on these kind of paddles...

Same stone is posted here, check page 4:
http://www.razorandstone.com/showthread.php?1167-Schwedenstein/page4&highlight=Schwedenstein

Slurry should be brown or sometimes more white....

Yep mine is similar.

So you know what you might have, and dont mind these are good stones and quite comparable to thuringians...

At this stage its not really known were the Schwedenstein was quarried but there are ideas around that it could be also near in the region where the older thuringians have been brought to light

So you know what you might have, and dont mind these are good stones and quite comparable to thuringians...

At this stage its not really known were the Schwedenstein was quarried but there are ideas around that it could be also near in the region where the older thuringians have been brought to light

I appreciate the information. I like mine very much and plan to keep it.

Top Bottom