What's new

German Straights to lookout for???

Hey fellas, I’m currently living in Germany and today I went to a huge flea market. I saw probably over 100 straight razors. Problem is, I have no clue what I’m looking at. Are there desirable brand name straights to look out for in Germany? Last thing I want to do is drop a bunch of $$$ on duds.

I can only recall reading complaints about one German razor brand from the later years of that brand,
and I don't remember which one it was.

I think mostly you should look for ones in good condition.
I think mostly you should look for ones in good condition.

I'm not home now, so I'll have to go by memory as to what I have at home.

Ern used to have a reputation as a good inexpensive razor,
so now everybody collects them and they are more expensive.
I have some of those.

I have a Krupp in my dopp kit bag with me right now.
Mentions of Krupp on this forum are primarily of coffee makers,
gun barrels, and misspellings of Kropp.
But I like mine.

One of my favorites razors is a Boker Red Injun 102.
Everybody likes Boker, it's not just me.

Last edited:
Carl Schaaf would be a nice rare find if it were in good condition. I also have a pristine vintage Wilhelm Mandt that is a wonderful razor, very fond of it.

You're in one of the homes of wonderful straights, I don't think that you would go wrong if you were to find a NOS razor. Happy hunting and post some pictures on your next trip please!

Well, if they're in good condition, pretty much anything that bears ERN stamped on the tang is guaranteed to be at least a good, honest razor. Same goes for Böker, Puma, and a few others. If a Mannos should catch your eye though, and is in good condition, I'd recommend you from the bottom of my heart to walk away from that one, not before letting me know where you are and where exactly did you see it. I'd come in a heartbeat to take it out of your hands least you injure yourself with it. 😜

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Dorko
Dovo
Simon Pure Cutlery
L. Holzhauers Sons
F. Koeller & Co.
Friedr. Baurman & Sohne
J.A. Henckels/ Friodur
Rich. Leukroth
Imperial Razor

Some German made razors I have enjoyed using. Good luck with your search! It’s extremely rare to come across a SR where I am. Over 100, there’s bound to be something decent.

Last edited:
There are many great German brands. Dorko, ERN and Puma to name a few. The other factor is size and condition. If you see a pristine 6/8 Dorko or Puma, buy it :).

Also, if you're looking for Ern,
there are dozens of registered Ern trademarks on razors which will not also say Ern.

MJung has been a great razor, honing takes a little more then my others, but when it is right it is great!

Schulze has been the easiest to hone! And is a great shaver! Hate selling them, but have my eye on something else and Ole Lady says no more until they are sold.

I would suggest getting a clue or two before spending money.
If these are for you, figure out what you want in a razor and look for that. If you want to buy with intent to sell at profit, that's another story and maybe a topic for another thread/forum, etc. Not judging, just sayin'.
I don't recall any 'old school' Solingen brands being inherently problematic, tbh. Brands that are now 'in name only' might not be up to snuff but that's easy enough to sort out. Timor is one, Giesen is another.
Authenticity and condition are everything. For example, any Dovo stamped Fritz Bracht on the back of the tang will be a fine shaver if it is in good condition.
Boker, Tennis, Henckles, Wacker, Dorko etc... all very well known brands.
Concerns - size of blade, condition of edge, any rust, type of grind, closing straight with decent tension, any defects in the assembly, etc.
I might suggest avoiding the souvenir razors that you see with generic gold wash on the blade, often in 7 day sets but commonly found as singles too. They are almost never brand name blades and often come with attractive price tags. Maybe you win, maybe not.
Me, I'd look for a juicy Boker or Dorko. But just about any authentic vintage Solingen, in good shape, is going to turn into a good shaver.

I would suggest getting a clue or two before spending money.
If these are for you, figure out what you want in a razor and look for that. If you want to buy with intent to sell at profit, that's another story and maybe a topic for another thread/forum, etc. Not judging, just sayin'.
I don't recall any 'old school' Solingen brands being inherently problematic, tbh. Brands that are now 'in name only' might not be up to snuff but that's easy enough to sort out. Timor is one, Giesen is another.
Authenticity and condition are everything. For example, any Dovo stamped Fritz Bracht on the back of the tang will be a fine shaver if it is in good condition.
Boker, Tennis, Henckles, Wacker, Dorko etc... all very well known brands.
Concerns - size of blade, condition of edge, any rust, type of grind, closing straight with decent tension, any defects in the assembly, etc.
I might suggest avoiding the souvenir razors that you see with generic gold wash on the blade, often in 7 day sets but commonly found as singles too. They are almost never brand name blades and often come with attractive price tags. Maybe you win, maybe not.
Me, I'd look for a juicy Boker or Dorko. But just about any authentic vintage Solingen, in good shape, is going to turn into a good shaver.

I do believe that this is exactly what his original post states. He left the market without a purchase and came back here for help. "Get a clue?" Really? That's rather harsh and in my opinion, uncalled for.

I'm glad you feel that way. Perhaps I'll suggest that the board needs a safe place for the terminally offended.
What I wrote is reality, if that ruffles feathers, oh well. The OP wrote that he has no clue; factually he needs more than 'a' clue. It's not a simple question to answer succinctly without a fairly lengthy and detailed explanation. FWIW, I started him off with a decent amount of into to ponder regarding his quandary. I'm sure you've done the same.

I'm glad you feel that way. Perhaps I'll suggest that the board needs a safe place for the terminally offended.
What I wrote is reality, if that ruffles feathers, oh well. The OP wrote that he has no clue; factually he needs more than 'a' clue. It's not a simple question to answer succinctly without a fairly lengthy and detailed explanation. FWIW, I started him off with a decent amount of into to ponder regarding his quandary. I'm sure you've done the same.

Uncalled for and very ungentlemanly Keith. I really expected better from you considering your tenure here. And yes, I'm very familiar with who you are and your contributions here. However, knowledge and wisdom doesn't give one the right to be rude or condescending to new comers seeking advice and help.

Back on topic...

I’m also quite new to SRs, and only have a couple of German razors I think, but I’d echo what a few people have said already...

In terms of the edge they take and how easy it was to get them there: my two old Germans from ungoogleable brands (Wilheim Weber and Bleckmann), are right up there with the best I have.

It’s not quite a case of buy blind and it’ll be fine; obviously you want to check the razor in q. But from that limited experience it does seem that even makers who no one’s ever heard of were coming up with the goods :).

Legion

Staff member
Here's the thing with German makers back in the day....

One factory would make the same razor with a bunch of different names.

So, while you can play it safe by buying the well known labels (Dubl Duck, Puma, ERN, Gotta, Etc.) There is every chance you can buy the same blade (possibly with less fancy scales), in a brand nobody has ever heard of for a fraction of the cost.

So, buy based on condition. If it is vintage and German, it is probably a safe bet. It's better to have some weird brand razor in good shape, than an expensive brand in poor shape, assuming you are buying it to use, rather than as an investment.

I have several vintage German razors. The only brand of note is Bismarck. They are all great shavers.

If you're looking for a razor to use, most vintage razors are likely to be decent enough.

A great way to learn about straight razors is to read these two threads:

And to learn about prices, search eBay for being and already sold like this example where the model is optional:

bismarck 2 straight razor

I agree with most that say buy for condition/price, not brand. No frowning blades, pitted corrosion, corroded edges, cracks, etc. Good scales are a plus unless you want to replace them. Don't shy away from minor surface rust if you are equipped to clean and polish (safely) and the price is good. One of my prettier razors came with half the blade red with rust. I only paid $15 shipped for it (plus tax). Surface rust is an easy fix.

I really want a dubl duck. I have an ERN crown and sword and I can attest that it's a good solid razor.

I really want a dubl duck. I have an ERN crown and sword and I can attest that it's a good solid razor.

There is a certain generation of Dubl Duck whose scales have a reputation for giving off gas causing the blade to rust. Be careful. Here is an example. Beautiful razors. Such a shame.

1652409501650.png

Top Bottom