What's new

German shaving soaps

I just tried Calani soap for the first time tonight. I bought a puck of the Gentleman scent from Royalshave. The Gentleman scent is described as "woody tones of moss and precious wood" on the Royalshave website. The scent for me is definitely above average. It's unique and it's my type of scent. I just received a new (to me) Old Spice mug today in the mail so I crammed the puck of Calani into that mug. It's a soft but dry soap... it fit a little tight in the OS mug but it was very squishable.... so I just jammed it down in there. I used my Simpson Emperor 3 two band super brush and whipped up a lather in my G20 scuttle. I loaded my brush for about 60 seconds and then built the lather in my scuttle, adding tiny amounts of water slowly. The lather started out very creamy and thick, but a bit dry in hindsight. No bubbles. The lather did not hold up however and broke down somewhat by the start of my third pass. It seemed seemed to lighten up and lose its density.... however I still had enough for a very good 4 pass shave with touchups. I think a few adustments will help in the future to make the lather hold up for the entire shave. I think I squeezed out too much water from my brush prior to loading.... since it seemed to load very dry. It's a soft soap so I did not put any water on the soap prior to loading.... and I don't think I need to.... I think I maybe just need to have a little more water in the brush when I load. The scent alone to me is worth keeping with this soap.... but I have a feeling that the performance potential is very high for this soap as well. Calani is offered in many different aromas as well.

Yesterday I tried Klar Seifen soap for the first time as well. I had a slightly better experience using that soap compared to the Calani for the first time. Again, the scent is wonderful. I got the original or classic scent as opposed to the sport scent.... which from what I understand is the same scent, just subdued a bit. One of the other members here told me that he thought that it smelled like Rive Gauche cologne (which I love) and I must say that I agree with that opinion. The performance of this soap is excellent to incredible. It's what I would call a slight step down from my top performing soaps (Tabac, I Coloniali, and Irisch Moos). It's a harder soap compared to the Calani soap. I was a bit disappointed in the tin it came in. It was dented in two spots right out of the box and then when I took the soap out to see if I could push the dents out, the tin just sort of lost it's trueness overall because it's just so flimsy. For a $30+ dollar soap I would expect a little better quality packaging. At any rate, it's usable and it looks nice if you don't look too close at it.

I'm very impressed with these two German made soaps. I've got a bowl and puck of Dr. Dittmar on the way so I can try that one as well.... as well as a couple Semogue boar brushes. Those brushes will hopefully be nice lather building machines for all of the soaps I've been trying out lately.

Ben

Klar is really nice soap, I got I in the travel tin on sale cheap about 3 months ago, very nice soap but there are better for the money

I agree with Nemo and a bunch of other the Klar´s Kabinett must be the best kept secret around. What hurt´s is the freight cost and I guess that´s the main reason why it does not get more airplay here. But hey-it´s 500 grams of pure joy that would last a LONG TIME. I would rate this soap on the very top of my BEST list. For newbies the Rose scent may not appeal but for the ones that already got a stack of good ones this scent is VERY "manly". My wife loves it. Not "granny at all".

I only shave with my 3 Calanis.These are the only German Soaps i have.My scents are:

Oriental Plum
Lavendel
Highland Honey

I love the scents and all of them doing great leather.

Calani and Klar are both wunderbar. Haslinger is on my you-have-to-try-at-least-once-in-your-lifetime list but it didn't happen yet and the Zartgefühl is new to me. Both Calani and Klar are veggie soaps that make you forget about tallow. And that is pretty unique imo.

Here's my list:
1. Klar Seifen
2. Calani
3. Haslinger
4. Dr. Dittmar
5. Tabac
6. Speick
7. Klar Kabinett

I love Dr Ditmar (the bowl is nice too), but there is no scent for me other than Fresh. I also have a Calani Soap from a shop in Frankfurt that smells like fresh lemon. But the best one for me is Tabula Rasa. The only place I know to get it here in the states is from Lee's. It a beautiful croap with a great whipped cream lather, and it has a wonderful lavender scent, like fresh picked lavender.

I wish the Speick Range smelled the same but the Soap and AS are far off...so far that it's a turn-off for me...I use Speick as a camp soap since it comes in a handy plastic case.

Klar Kabinet just doesn't work for me...maybe my water. I assume that Klar Siefen would be the same. I also tried an off-brand from Dr Ditmar that worked great too, but can't remember the name off-hand.

I would give Klar Seifen a try Matt. It easily outperforms the Kabinett for me.

I love Dr Ditmar (the bowl is nice too), but there is no scent for me other than Fresh. I also have a Calani Soap from a shop in Frankfurt that smells like fresh lemon. But the best one for me is Tabula Rasa. The only place I know to get it here in the states is from Lee's. It a beautiful croap with a great whipped cream lather, and it has a wonderful lavender scent, like fresh picked lavender.

I wish the Speick Range smelled the same but the Soap and AS are far off...so far that it's a turn-off for me...I use Speick as a camp soap since it comes in a handy plastic case.

Klar Kabinet just doesn't work for me...maybe my water. I assume that Klar Siefen would be the same. I also tried an off-brand from Dr Ditmar that worked great too, but can't remember the name off-hand.

Last edited:
Performance > Packaging/Prestige

I only used UK soaps/creams and badger brushes when I first started wet-shaving because I didn't know any better. Now after almost 4 years of experience and spending a king's ransom, I only use German and Italian soaps and prefer boar brushes.

Takeshi - Yes, I know: "YMMV."

Have Klar Kabinett and Klar Sport; very nice lather and scent. Have tried Calani Dubai and pifed it; lather just okay with very sweet scent. Thought about Haslinger ewe's milk, but waiting on user verdicts; so far no compelling reason to get any.

The best deal going is Klar Kabinett, a rose scented vegie soap that lathers like mad. 500g for about $20!

+1

Klar Kabinett is now in my rotation. I put it on the same quality level of Tabac. However, like Tabac some folks may not like the rose scent.
Personally I love it.

Calani went out of business (end of 2019),which is a pity since they made amazing soaps. Still 3017ing two tubs (Oriental Plum and Malabar) of them.

Haven't used Klar's soap as yet.

M

member 119848

Klar is definitely on my "must try" list too. Especially the almond scent.
From my experience with german soaps, I find Meissner Tremonia awesome soaps. (just as good as MdC)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom