What's new

German razor sizes

Would anyone know of how to interpret Solingen razor sizes into the common vernacular of inches? I have recently seen a razor marked as 114, but my google-fu powers have failed me to find a table of German razors sizes and their corresponding imperial measurements. Many thanks in advance.

Would anyone know of how to interpret Solingen razor sizes into the common vernacular of inches? I have recently seen a razor marked as 114, but my google-fu powers have failed me to find a table of German razors sizes and their corresponding imperial measurements. Many thanks in advance.
A shot in the dark. If 114 is millimeters, it converts to 5.7 inches.

If 5/8“ or 6/8“ is the nomenclature for the height of the blade and the Solingen designation 114 is the same - which I doubt - then it would be 11.4 mm by 2.54 = 0.4488“

If anyone is interested, this is the 114 marked razor.
RyC.jpg

Looks like a model number to me. I know some razors of the same model were produced in different sizes e.g. 5/8 and 6/8. I have also seen some models with a range of 4/8 to 6/8 depending on the target market.

If you send it to me I'd be very happy to inspect it thoroughly and verify that it is safe to shave with. Heck I'll do it for free and for a long time, let's say a decade or so. 114 is the model number.
You are an incredibly generous person for offering such a thorough quality inspection and to do it for free!

^^^ What he said, it’s a model number. Many razors will have a model number in this position.

Nice looking razor BTW.
Yes, I think you and @rbscebu are both correct. I have seen other razors with this model number, for example Dorko 114 and thought it must relate in someway to the blade dimensions.

Looks like a model number to me. I know some razors of the same model were produced in different sizes e.g. 5/8 and 6/8. I have also seen some models with a range of 4/8 to 6/8 depending on the target market.
Yes, I was trying to see if there was any rhyme or reason to the number - as you said the sizes can vary under the same model number. Cheers for your input.

If you send it to me I'd be very happy to inspect it thoroughly and verify that it is safe to shave with. Heck I'll do it for free and for a long time, let's say a decade or so. 114 is the model number.
Your generosity knowns no bounds!! Thanks for the offer!!

Top Bottom