What's new

German made brushes?

Thanks, tried to research, but my goal of having an all-German set will probably be continued with a Hans Baier brush, as it seems a good quality / price ratio.

When it comes to German brands, Hans Baier and VP Leonhardy are good choices if you're looking for a good quality/price ratio. At least in this side of the pond (as I don't know about the prices in the US).

I've heard about the "Fantasia" brand, but I don't know who's making the brushes. But Hans Baier is a good guess, they sure look the same. They have other shaving items, like shaving soap and sets .

The brand "Fantasia" is found in several German brick-and-mortar shops and web-stores, like the German Amazon, or the Douglas chain of perfumeries. They sell a lot of beauty items for ladies, but have a small array of shaving related items.

You can take a look at their catalog here (just click on the image): Rasierpinsel

Yes! Exactly that! My brother first bought a 21mm silvertip brush from a small shop in Munich. But he passed it to me, because he said the handle didn't fit his hand well and he thought the knot was small. He didn't remember the name, only that it was sold in a transparent box and he bought it for about €25. The brush is fine for me, because i face lather and i like small brushes. And i don't have another silvertip to compare, but seems very nice to me.

Then yesterday night, i googled the names you mentioned and i found them all...in the italian amazon. Where i also found "Fantasia", as well as "Croll and Denecke", which has also same handles and by the name, it sounds german too. And this morning, i look again and i see a 25.5mm Fantasia silvertip, last piece, for €11. I am not joking. Now there is none left , because i grabbed the last one. I swear, last night it wasn't there. So soon, i will have my 2nd silvertip. Normally i wouldn't buy such a large diameter silvertip, since they bloom, but at such price...Thank you, again!

Addendum: For the record, no, that isn't a normal price for any brush and in deed, i found that even the cheapest Fantasia pure badger, costs €15. But it is not unusual in Amazon to find bargains for last pieces.

Last edited:
WOW! That is a killer price indeed. Congratulations, I'm glad for being helpful! :)

And to think that i periodically scan Amazon for cheap brushes, but never paid attention to that brand, because it has also some €9 syntetics there and the pictures are badly taken, they look odd and i always thought that they are chinese... Then thanks to you, i stumbled to the exact model that i already had and i also noticed the exact same handle with 2 other german brands. So it all became clear. I ordered 3 brushes in total (2 of other brands). But this one was a real bargain! Thank you again and long live Semogue! :a17:

Gentlemen, an update. I am now willing to bet, that Hans Baier, Fantasia and Golddachs, all use the same hair provider. Hans Baier and Fantasia, 99% share the same knots too. The handles have identical shapes and both, use DECIMALS to describe the knot (21.5, 23.5, 25.5mm). How many brush vendors do you know, that use 0.5mm in their knots? I think the only difference, is that Hans Baier uses some exclusive handles. In fact, on its brushes, it has a label which says "Hans Baier exclusive". I now strongly believe that it refers to the handle.

Coming now to Golddachs. I have bought the Golddachs Finest. The hair, looks almost identical to the Fantasia silvertip. The width of the black band, is of the same size, the hair feels identical (extremely soft) and the backbone feels the same too (it's low compared to 2bands and boars, but it has a pillowy springiness, that makes it very pleasing). The only difference that i can see, is that the Fantasia silvertip, has a slightly more white-ish color on the upper side of the knot (impossible to see in the photo). But the Golddachs is really close. If someone told me that they came out of the same badger, i would believe it.

The other difference, is that Golddachs has higher loft. It's 22x56 vs 21.5x50 of the Fantasia. Both are dense enough to avoid the feeling of "0 backbone" on the face and both splay a lot, feeling bigger than their knot size would suggest. The Golddachs, being taller, feels even bigger. It feels like my 24x55mm Omega knots in size, if not bigger. The Golddachs, says they are "handcrafted piece by piece". The Golddachs is also the one with a slight defect on the handle (it had a quality certificate inside, it had to have a defect, just like my Muhle!). It has a sort of machinery mark all around the handle. A sort of horizontal 0.5cm line that wasn't polished as polished as it should have been. But, it's a minor thing, you can see it only when light hits the handle at the specific point. I also bought the Fantasia 25.5mm silvertip, which is literally gigantic.

Price wise, the one i got for free from my brother, the Fantasia 25.5 for €11,07 and the Golddachs for €23 (now it's down to 20 actually).

I would reccommend any of these, eyes closed, to anyone who finds them at such prices. The handles are very ergonomic for face lathering, the Hans Baier style, not so much for bowl lathering. The handles also are made of plastic, but not to the worst kind (i have worst Omegas) and the brushes have a decent weight on hand. They can also load a croap with no issues and they feel luxuriously soft on the face. They are a nice change once in a while from the boars and 2 bands which have all strong backbone. Even at "normal" price, the Hans Baier/Fantasia silvertips, are sold between €30 and €50 (for the 25.5mm knots). I don't think there is a european brand brush that gives better price/performance ratio. I almost ordered a 2nd Golddachs today as backup. Then i thought of the purpose of the Sabbatical. :001_rolle

a.png

Left Fantasia silvertip 21.5mm (DRY), right Golddachs Finest 22mm (WET).

Gentlemen, an update. I am now willing to bet, that Hans Baier, Fantasia and Golddachs, all use the same hair provider. Hans Baier and Fantasia, 99% share the same knots too. The handles have identical shapes and both, use DECIMALS to describe the knot (21.5, 23.5, 25.5mm). How many brush vendors do you know, that use 0.5mm in their knots? I think the only difference, is that Hans Baier uses some exclusive handles. In fact, on its brushes, it has a label which says "Hans Baier exclusive". I now strongly believe that it refers to the handle.

Coming now to Golddachs. I have bought the Golddachs Finest. The hair, looks almost identical to the Fantasia silvertip. The width of the black band, is of the same size, the hair feels identical (extremely soft) and the backbone feels the same too (it's low compared to 2bands and boars, but it has a pillowy springiness, that makes it very pleasing). The only difference that i can see, is that the Fantasia silvertip, has a slightly more white-ish color on the upper side of the knot (impossible to see in the photo). But the Golddachs is really close. If someone told me that they came out of the same badger, i would believe it.

The other difference, is that Golddachs has higher loft. It's 22x56 vs 21.5x50 of the Fantasia. Both are dense enough to avoid the feeling of "0 backbone" on the face and both splay a lot, feeling bigger than their knot size would suggest. The Golddachs, being taller, feels even bigger. It feels like my 24x55mm Omega knots in size, if not bigger. The Golddachs, says they are "handcrafted piece by piece". The Golddachs is also the one with a slight defect on the handle (it had a quality certificate inside, it had to have a defect, just like my Muhle!). It has a sort of machinery mark all around the handle. A sort of horizontal 0.5cm line that wasn't polished as polished as it should have been. But, it's a minor thing, you can see it only when light hits the handle at the specific point. I also bought the Fantasia 25.5mm silvertip, which is literally gigantic.

Price wise, the one i got for free from my brother, the Fantasia 25.5 for €11,07 and the Golddachs for €23 (now it's down to 20 actually).

I would reccommend any of these, eyes closed, to anyone who finds them at such prices. The handles are very ergonomic for face lathering, the Hans Baier style, not so much for bowl lathering. The handles also are made of plastic, but not to the worst kind (i have worst Omegas) and the brushes have a decent weight on hand. They can also load a croap with no issues and they feel luxuriously soft on the face. They are a nice change once in a while from the boars and 2 bands which have all strong backbone. Even at "normal" price, the Hans Baier/Fantasia silvertips, are sold between €30 and €50 (for the 25.5mm knots). I don't think there is a european brand brush that gives better price/performance ratio. I almost ordered a 2nd Golddachs today as backup. Then i thought of the purpose of the Sabbatical. :001_rolle

View attachment 939257

Left Fantasia silvertip 21.5mm (DRY), right Golddachs Finest 22mm (WET).

Thanks for the update!!

Any recommendations from the above? Also who of them is making their own knots and who is using sourced ones?

Top Bottom