What's new

Georgia Loop - Advice or Tips?

I'm in the early planning stages of a backpacking trip on the Georgia Loop. This will be done the week after Christmas. Other than potentially cold and dry conditions, does anyone have any advice or tips? Where did you park? I'm thinking of either Vogel State Park or Lake Winfield Scott, just to keep my car safe.

Thanks in advance.

I had to look it up. Be aware than Georgia does see ice and snow storms, and the Georgia Loop is a higher elevation. This past winter Georgia had snow in the southern part of the state that stayed on the ground for nearly a week, and the Georgia Loop is further north by several hundred miles.

84B82528-677A-4217-B773-CC4D5E0911DF.jpeg
73C4EAF6-4B9F-4C4D-B7F4-3A32ECD3EF82.jpeg
9F3CE155-3F5C-4011-8960-678ABF505EE2.jpeg
We live here..just outside of Copperhill, TN; which is about 40 miles from Vogel State Park. Last winter we had some serious snow a couple weeks before Christmas.

January was flat out cold. February was weirdly warm..I mean stuff was starting to bloom. March it got cold again.

May want to check with the Ranger Station at VSP. Not sure what parking restrictions, if any, they may have that time of year.
Be certain you have EVERYTHING you think you will need. There are only one or two outfitters around and on their best days inventory is sketchy. Winter it will probably be less.

Concealed firearms are currently legal in US parks, but are NOT legal in any building or structure within the park. Double check with a Ranger beforehand...rules change. Happy trails....

Thanks, guys. I'm aware that this will likely be a cold trip with the possibility of snow. I'll be sure to have some back up plans in case the weather is to bad.

sounds like a great hike! be prepared for any weather!

sorry, most of my pics from decades ago are out of easy reach, just one below of brasstown bald winter sunrise.

this is a fabulous loop!

brasstown1.jpg

Top Bottom