What's new

Georgetown Scuttle....some good news from them

Well, last week I was fortunate enough to secure a Georgetown scuttle from a fellow member and gave it a go this morning. My opinion is that it does an excellent job and kept my brushn'lather toasty for 3 passes this cold morning in Long Island using just tap water to pre-heat and refill.

In any case, I had placed an order with Georgetown just a week or so ago and had been surprised at the quoted wait time, only 2 weeks. Maybe some bad reviews that have been passed along helped out.
Well, when I called today to cancel my order, I was told that they were going in the furnace later this week and that this last batch took a few days longer than stipulated because they had been redesigned!!

Ree-hee-healy? aparently the new ones will retain the overal outside dimensions and have a slightly smaller inside bowl to allow for more water in between and thus help in heat retention.

So, I decided to keep my order and wait to compare the two. Like I said, I really had no trouble at all with the G3, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to check out the new and improved.

So stay tuned.

That's very interesting. I think I ordered mine about a week or so ago too. I'm not sure if I want a smaller bowl - a larger bowl was one of the main reasons I ordered one (and that my wife thinks they look gorgeous!). I wonder if mine will be the new design or the old...

Interesting, I have one of the early designs but see how it could benefit from a larger water capacity. I really enjoy the one I have but I'll be interested in what you have to say about the new design.

That's very interesting. I think I ordered mine about a week or so ago too. I'm not sure if I want a smaller bowl - a larger bowl was one of the main reasons I ordered one (and that my wife thinks they look gorgeous!). I wonder if mine will be the new design or the old...

I believe the poster meant "thinner" inside bowl to retain heat instead of "smaller" inside bowl

If the inside bowl is indeed smaller, thus allowing more water, I'd say that would be a welcome improvement. The bowl on the G3 is massive, which is nice, but there's definitely room for it to be a bit smaller and still be sufficiently large to lather in. Their existing lather bowls are definitely worth a look in that regard, as well.

I have a G2 and a G3...the G2 definitely keeps the lather warmer, but I really like the size of the G3....from what I can see, Georgetown takes our constructive criticism very seriously. Once they get their scuttle finalized...it will probably be one of the best out there.

It's good they are paying attention and addressing customer concerns.

What I was told was that they had made the inside bowl slightly smaller without changing overall dimensions, so yes this could very well mean that the issue discussed by BrandX in his review and shared with them, about the inside bowl needing a thinner wall was taken care of. But I did get the impression that if you ordered recently, the latest batch will be shipped by late this week/early next and will be the modified version.

The new scuttles will be ready to ship next week, just in time for Christmas, according to an e-mail I received today from Lori, Georgetown Pottery. :smile:

Mine did too, but won't get to see it till X-mas and will be gone away till first week of January.
I was planning on doing a comparison between the G3 I have and this version which I was told improved on the G3.

Mark, what kind of differences do you see between yours and the one BrandX has on his review (that's a G3)?

Have one coming in the mail. Their Custard bowl works well as a lather bowl. I was very happy with the quality so I ordeded the scuttle as well. Matching of course...

Top Bottom