What's new

George Wostenholm 8/8 frame back

I recently finished up a nice old Sheffield razor—one of the largest frame backs I've worked on. This George Wostenholm & Son's 'Celebrated IXL Frame Back Razor' has some blade and tang rust, plus needed some new hardware.
BEFORE:
proxy.php

Some blade cleaning (removal of rust and general clean & polish); the black horn scales are in decent shape so just cleaned and buffed; original lead wedge; new solid brass pins, brass washers and inner bearing washers. Upon finishing the job, I'm now debating whether to blacken (paint) the blade engraving—which is the next step.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very nice! If you were to blacken the lettering what would you use? Iooking to do something similar myself but on lettering on a mother of pearl clad tang

Very nice! If you were to blacken the lettering what would you use? Iooking to do something similar myself but on lettering on a mother of pearl clad tang
I'd start with a slightly diluted waterproof dark grey enamel. Done in several applications.

Wonderful work, and photography. Is that a piece of Wenge in some of those shots? I like the lettering without the black, just to be a contrarian.

Top Bottom