What's new

George Butler Shakespeare q.

For a little while now I have been feeling that something has been missing from my shaving routine. Something niche, ineffable, uncanny. And it was only yesterday in St. George's Market in Belfast that I realised what that something was...

I needed, more than anything, to have the decollated head of The Bard gurning back at me in the mirror as I performed my morning ablutions. So I bought this razor:

ED173F6A-15E4-46D0-AB56-E4BAFB5776FF.jpeg

B3CDD8BE-4710-4C94-8BA9-B546696A0DBD.jpeg

D2918AED-6B33-4C8A-8916-DDBDAC4B7BD2.jpeg

Now it obviously needs a bit of work, but most of the worst pitting is up near the spine and I'm not so fussed about that, so I think I should be able to make nice. I have two questions though:

1.) I've never had or seen ivory scales before; TBH I bought it because it had Shakespeare on it and wasn't horrifically expensive. Even after I got home and looked at it I thought the scales were plastic because they seemed in remarkably good condition, not cracked or discoloured. But another, cleverer, member pointed out to me that they're probably ivory, so I had a proper look and it does indeed have some of those lines visible, especially toward the end. What's the best way to go about cleaning and/or polishing ivory?

2.) In the second picture - what does 'No. 0' on the tang mean in regards to this razor? I assume it's a size thing, but couldn't find out much...

Legion

Staff member
Just a guess, but I’ve seen those razors in seven day sets. Maybe when they are in a set they are marked 1-7, and when sold alone they have a 0, rather than messing about removing the stamp machinery entirely?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The George Butler "Shakespeare" is reviewed here:

Mine is marked No. 3. Like you, I have no idea about their numbering system. Fortunately my ivory did not need cleaning. Perhaps some others can help with that.

IMG_20210922_105919.jpg
IMG_20210922_110926.jpg
IMG_20210922_110744.jpg

That wedge is made of lead. It helps to balance the razor about the pivot pin.

Don't forget to smile back at Bill while he shaves you.

And actually I have a third, more important, question... Why does it say 'Love's Labor Lost'?

That's going to irritate the f out of me.

The George Butler "Shakespeare" is reviewed here:

Mine is marked No. 3. Like you, I have no idea about their numbering system. Fortunately my ivory did not need cleaning. Perhaps some others can help with that.

Don't forget to smile back at Bill while he shaves you.

Oh that's very nice! :)

Handle on mine probably doesn't need too much cleaning tbh, I just fancied making the scales look a bit more like yours, and didn't want to use or do anything that might balls them up. I could just leave 'em as is I suppose. Very interesting to know about the wedge - thank you for that nugget of info!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You obviously weren't paying attention in your high school English classes. It is from Shakespeare's "Loves Labour's Lost", Act 5, Sceen 2 where Boyet says-

"The tongues of mocking wenches are as keen/As is the razor's edge invisible/Cutting a smaller hair than may be seen"

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
What surprised me more about these SR's is that the title of the play is marked on the blade's face in American "Labor" and not English "Labour".

Americans have a lot to answer for stating that they speak and write in "English".

Will have to try toothpaste on the next razor. Unfortunately the cheap one that come today and I had hoped ivory, turned out to be plastic.
It just cleans up the light gunk and gives it some luster. Not great for getting rid of stains from brass corrosion, although it helps loosen things up.

Legion

Staff member
What surprised me more about these SR's is that the title of the play is marked on the blade's face in American "Labor" and not English "Labour".

Americans have a lot to answer for stating that they speak and write in "English".
That is how Shakespeare spelled it.

Loves_labours_tp.jpg

Top Bottom