What's new

Geo. Trumper's Skin Food vs. ?

I've been using Coral, Sandalwood, and Lime skin food for some years as an aftershave balm. As I'm about out, I wonder what are other popular choices as alternatives. What I don't like is something that leaves your skin oily. Skin Food, almost acts as a glaze of sorts when it first goes on. By the scents I've listed, you can surmise I don't like perfumy (sp) aftershave balms or menthol infused balms. What might some balmy based alternatives?

GFT "Skin Food" balms actually contain alcohol; I've not found them to be soothing for me.
You might want to try a witch hazel as an alternate.
And, Welcome to B&B!

truefitt hill rose art of shaving trumpers coral skin food thayers witch hazel rahal february ...jpg

Baum.be, grab it while you still can! Also, St James aftershave gels are excellent. You might like the black pepper and lime, but be warned they are a gateway drug… to the excellent creams! :devil:

GFT "Skin Food" balms actually contain alcohol; I've not found them to be soothing for me.
You might want to try a witch hazel as an alternate.
And, Welcome to B&B!

View attachment 1498821
Not a fan of witch hazel. We used that when I was young and I tried some again a few years ago and ended up tossing it. I'm aware of the alcohol content in Skin Food. I'm looking to find if there's something else similar. Witch hazel is not.

Not a fan of witch hazel. We used that when I was young and I tried some again a few years ago and ended up tossing it. I'm aware of the alcohol content in Skin Food. I'm looking to find if there's something else similar. Witch hazel is not.

Sorry, can't offer much else to fit your needs.
AOS used to put up some nice, light aftershave balms; perhaps you could find a leftover somewhere.
Otherwise, what's wrong with re-ordering your GFT favs??

art of shaving ocean kelp merkur feather july 23 2021.jpg

art of shaving lemon simpson feather december 16 2018.jpg

Sorry, can't offer much else to fit your needs.
AOS used to put up some nice, light aftershave balms; perhaps you could find a leftover somewhere.
Otherwise, what's wrong with re-ordering your GFT favs??
Not a thing, just curious as we don't know what we don't know. I have no complaints with GFT but was curious if there were other similar products I might like better.

I haven’t used it personally but have heard good things about PAA Star Jelly. Apparently it’s like a combination between a splash and balm. Could be worth a try

On those days I may not shave for various reasons. I will use the GFT Extract of Limes or the Coral. I find them very comfortable and refreshing on my face. But I try to keep from applying alcohol ingredients on my freshly shaven face.

On those days I may not shave for various reasons. I will use the GFT Extract of Limes or the Coral. I find them very comfortable and refreshing on my face. But I try to keep from applying alcohol ingredients on my freshly shaven face.
I have to say, whatever amount of alcohol by percentage is in GFT SF, I have never felt any sting or reaction to it whatsoever.

I've been using Coral, Sandalwood, and Lime skin food for some years as an aftershave balm. As I'm about out, I wonder what are other popular choices as alternatives. What I don't like is something that leaves your skin oily. Skin Food, almost acts as a glaze of sorts when it first goes on. By the scents I've listed, you can surmise I don't like perfumy (sp) aftershave balms or menthol infused balms. What might some balmy based alternatives?
I'd highly recommend DR Harris aftershave milk, it's lightly scented with a neutral, slightly rose scent that won't conflict with any of your other aftershaves and colognes. It's great stuff.

Reactions: CCS
I'd highly recommend DR Harris aftershave milk, it's lightly scented with a neutral, slightly rose scent that won't conflict with any of your other aftershaves and colognes. It's great stuff.
I've never tried any of the DR Harris stuff. I'll have to give them a closer look. Thanks.

Truefitt & Hill, Nancy Boy, Wholly Kaw, Gentlemens Refinery, and Pre de Provence balms are all soothing and easily absorbed with no waxy or greasy residue. Light scents or fragrance free too. I prefer all of them to GFT Skin Food.

Truefitt & Hill, Nancy Boy, Wholly Kaw, Gentlemens Refinery, and Pre de Provence balms are all soothing and easily absorbed with no waxy or greasy residue. Light scents or fragrance free too. I prefer all of them to GFT Skin Food.
One thing for sure, GFT skin food does not leave a waxy or greasy residue, at least in my case. I like T&H and have ordered three bottles based on samples I had (1805, Trafalgar, and Grafton) - thus broadening my horizons from what I said in my first post. Then, I just learned about Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Cream from another thread here and picked some up at Costco. That's some wonderful scentless aftershave although it's not marketed as such. One can add a fragrance on top of it should one choose to.

My favorite is Jack Black double duty face moisturizer.
It goes on very calm, and it does have the second duty. It's SPF 20, so I don't have to do a separate grease the face unless I know I'm going to be taking a beating in the sun.

Truly great stuff. I use GFT skin food for a pre-shave as well as post shave. GFT Spanish Leather is also fabulous.

My favorites are Santa Maria Novella (SMN makes only one scent and it's wonderful IMHO), Boellis Panama 1924 and J Peterman 1903 .

Top Bottom