What's new

Geo F. Trumpers Photo

Here's a photo I recently took of Trumpers in their new location, Duke of York Street - a stone's throw from their old premises in Jermyn Street. Carefully note the Red Lion pub, immediately next door!

Yes! Had a pleasure and honor being there myself some weeks back.
Interestingly, Taylor of Old Bond Street is just three or so blocks away, Truefitt and Hill about halfway there, and my hotel was right in between. Didn't know that I picked up such a splendid location, so I was caught like a rabbit staring into the headlights of those three stores within two steps of walking :).

Naturally! English-style pubs are my weak spot. I only don't get why most of those fine establishments are closing up so early.

What time are you referring to? I left the UK in 1999 and, as I recall, pubs were still closing at 3 pm reopening for the evening session closing at 11 pm.
If you regard 11pm as being too early for a drinking establishment to close I doff my hat to you!

I know the govt. removed some restrictions resulting in 24 hr opening. From what I read online this may be altered.

Opening hours were introduced during the first world war to keep the work force productive and not paralytic.

What time are you referring to? I left the UK in 1999 and, as I recall, pubs were still closing at 3 pm reopening for the evening session closing at 11 pm.
If you regard 11pm as being too early for a drinking establishment to close I doff my hat to you!

I know the govt. removed some restrictions resulting in 24 hr opening. From what I read online this may be altered.

Opening hours were introduced during the first world war to keep the work force productive and not paralytic.

Back in my younger days we were just getting warmed up at 10 or 11! 2am or so was last call as I remember. Of course, now I'm usually in bed by 10 :blush:

- Steve :001_cool:

Back in my younger days we were just getting warmed up at 10 or 11! 2am or so was last call as I remember. Of course, now I'm usually in bed by 10 :blush:

- Steve :001_cool:

I'm more likely to drink shorts these days, the ability to hold onto large quantities of beer has sadly gone!

Cheers to that :).
What I wanted to say was rather: it's not that I spend night after night drinking myself out of this world, but there may be times that one would like to sit at 11pm in front of a fireplace, watching the double decker headlights trying to penetrate the night mist while having a pint of bitter and contemplate recent changes in the climate of Jupiter. And it surprises me that should one have such notion in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, one may very well be obliged to cross a timezone to achieve that.
(I don't know how Ireland is in that respect).

I'm an ex-pat Brit too. The split closing time does seem a bit archaic now, living in Aus. And yes, britain does hold onto antiquated laws, because, well, just because...

Pubs open in the late morning here, and don't close til last order in the evening at 11.30.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Red Lion is the most popular pub name in the UK (about 750 of them). I've been a regular in 3. At least.

Current licencing laws in the UK means the pub can stay open 24 hours if they wish. Most don't wish!

A lot depends on where the pub is situated and the number of probable punters. Most city centre pubs do stay open all day, no afternoon closing. As for the night time close, that can vary as they wish. A lot still close at 11pm but stay open later on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

We have a couple of pubs here in Cheltenham that open at about 7am! Mostly selling coffee and breakfast but the beer's there if you want it. Full English and a pint of Guinness always goes down well!

The government brought in the 24 hour licences hoping to start a continental style cafe culture and stop the yobs and their binge drinking. Sadly they can now binge drink for much longer!

I mostly go to the country pubs and most of them close 11-12ish. I've had enough playing my squeezebox and drinking by then anyway. Need my beauty sleep...

Gareth

The British govt. let's out the line, and then is to be seen in a few years reeling it back in. The public has been overtaken by a bout of good old Russian hooliganism over there! What next, I ask? :lol:

Top Bottom