What's new

Geo F Trumpers, Colnel Conk or Taylor of Old Bond Street

OK so what does everyone think of these three brands?

I see them all the time when I go to shaving sites. I have experience with Taylor of Old Bond Street. I love them and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone who is thinking about shaving creams or soaps.

But I have no experience with the other two. I am intrigued to hear others thoughts about these other brands of shaving creams and soaps.

Anyone?

Conk's soaps are glycerine based, super slickness but with a noticeably different feel. Trumper, Taylor's, T& F, and possibly D.R. Harris have inert pigments and/or clay in them. It's not in itself a drawback, but like any ingredient it does have an effect on water proportions and brush movements etc.

There's always some dialing in with an unfamiliar product, but these ingredients can make someone think they've bought crap when really they've simply bought old-fashioned.

Trumper leans heavily on powdery, just shy of flowery. Truefitt are very lightly scented by N. American expectations. Harris are more strong and are a touch harder and longer lasting.

If you're going to try all the Big Brits, can I suggest looking over scent descriptions and get a variety of scents, but only one from each?

Well then... It is time to contact gft for a sample pack of their shaving creams.

The fvorability of TOBS reaffirms my standing of how good they are.

What is T&F?

TOBS and Trumpers come down to your scent preferences since I think Creighton's makes the base and they both shave roughly the same. I have Trumper GFT and Spanish Leather and they are fantastic scents. My TOBS collection is St. James, Mr Taylor's, and Rose and all are fantastic scents as well. I happen to like the GFT scent the best out of all of those so it's my favorite, but I'd happily pick up any of them to use at any point. From a mechanical shaving standpoint, they handle all of the things I ask from a shaving cream ( easy to lather, slickness, and protection ). That said, the $5 tube of Old Spice does the same for me, but it doesn't smell as good as the two English creams you asked about.

I haven't used Conks since I first started shaving over a decade ago. I remember it as a perfectly serviceable soap but I didn't fall in love with it and I've never picked up another puck.

Well then... It is time to contact gft for a sample pack of their shaving creams.

The fvorability of TOBS reaffirms my standing of how good they are.

What is T&F?
Oops, T&H is Truefitt & Hill. T&F is me not paying attention. I should also add that I've only used soaps from these companies except TOBS, those were tiny cream samples so old they were almost croap-like.

Oops, T&H is Truefitt & Hill. T&F is me not paying attention. I should also add that I've only used soaps from these companies except TOBS, those were tiny cream samples so old they were almost croap-like.

Thanks. I will try and contact the company to see if they offer a sample pack.

Thanks. I will try and contact the company to see if they offer a sample pack.
Samples of T&H are fine to get an idea of scent....but don't skimp on using as much as you'd use if you had a full tub.

If you don't, you won't see how good they are. I found them all pretty synthetic and generic cologne.

GFT is awesome, as is TOBS. Both creams are top notch. GFT Coconut and TOBS Avocado are ones I loved.

T&H isn't worth the increase in price to GFT and TOBS.

I've used all three, and I like all three for different reasons. Col. Conk seems to get stepped on around here, but I really like their bay rum, and find it to be an excellent product.

...St. James of London should be on your list, too. Wonderful scents in their line-up.

Personally, I think D R Harris out performs all of the the English soaps.

I've seen those soaps. Those are some of the more expensive soaps out there.

The Castle Forbes line of creams are even more expensive at over $40 a bowl, Martin De Candre Shaving is over $60 a bowl, and Czech & Speak is the most expensive I see on West Coast Shaving at $160 a bowl.

So who will be the first to order a Martin De Candre ? Or... how about a Czech & Speak bowl ?

Come on people... get on this and report back to us !!!!

Last edited:
I've seen those soaps. Those are some of the more expensive soaps out there.

The Castle Forbes line of creams are even more expensive at over $40 a bowl, Martin De Candre Shaving is over $60 a bowl, and Czech & Speak is the most expensive I see on West Coast Shaving at $160 a bowl.

So who will be the first to order a Martin De Candre ? Or... how about a Czech & Speak bowl ?

Come on people... get on this and report back to us !!!!
Martin de Candre is a lovely product, and even though it is initially expensive the sheer number of shaves you get from it actually brings the cost per shave down to where it's price competitive with almost any other product.

Castle Forbes used to be expensive because they used essential oils in their products versus just generic fragrance oils. You were paying for the quality of the ingredients. I haven't looked at their ingredients list in years so things may have changed.

C&S soap used to be made by a company called Valobra in Italy who quit making it. A lot of shavers loved that particular formulation and I suspect the high cost of that on the WCS website was a reflection of those soaps being unobtanium at a certain point. I mean, they were always expensive but they weren't that expensive.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!

What would you like to know about them? Many, many people here have both Don’t get the current version of C&S, it won’t lather.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Maybe a few links will help.

TOBS, GFT as well as T&H are all outstanding shave creams!

3 creams.jpg

I placed an order for a sample pack of St James of London. It should arrive this week.
The sample pack arrived today in sealed packs, so I cannot sniff it without opening it. It will have to wait until shaving day. Since I purchased a number of shaving soaps and creams including sample packs, I cant say when I will get to this particular pack. But I am looking forward to see how it works out.

Top Bottom