What's new

Geo. F. Trumper Ajaccio Violet

I had taken the advice of one from the review school of "Either love it or hate it" and missed out on this delightfully rare fragrance. Likened by some to the scent of a whore's handbag, I can only venture that one must take pleasure where one finds it. So, this is a pleasureable and pleasant fragrance. Goes on bright and dries down light. Within 4 hours it is mostly a memory, but a delightful one just the same.
I recommend it for those layer maniacs that insist on violet soap or cream followed by a violet cologne or aftershave. For those of you familiar with the Crusellas Agua Violeta, this Trumper brew has greater longevity and clarity of fragrance. For the price delta, one would hope for these qualities and they are definitely there.

I have never had the opportunity to smell a "whore's handbag" how will I know if I'll like this?

AJS said:
I have never had the opportunity to smell a "whore's handbag" how will I know if I'll like this?
Take the tram from OGGsford to Germyn Strasse and sniff!:lol:

Ron,

I have an old bottle of this but have yet to even try it. There are some "floaters" in the bottle and I so I am a little suspect that the cologne might be bad. On the other hand, someone told me that these "floaters" are supposed to be in the bottle.

Patrick

ponyplayer said:
Ron,

I have an old bottle of this but have yet to even try it. There are some "floaters" in the bottle and I so I am a little suspect that the cologne might be bad. On the other hand, someone told me that these "floaters" are supposed to be in the bottle.

Patrick
I did not notice any when I was applying it, but that means nothing. The golden crown top was a bit clogged (Evidence of former floaters?) and took the minstrations of a a clean wooden toothpick to remediate the clog. I love the stuff. Worst that could probably happen is you become disgusted with whatever fragrance had evolved. Best? You enjoy it..:001_smile

Scotto said:
Ron, I don't recall hearing about a cologne you didn't like. Care to dispel the illusion? :confused:
I guess you'll just have to call me Coke, 'cause things go better with Coke!!:lol: But recently? Persian Leather.. Perhaps the expletive Yech applies..

I got a bottle of this not too long ago. It smells great! I guess it smells sort of like morning dew and fresh violets. The drydown has sort of a musty fern smell (but a good musty fern!). I've had quite a few people remark on how good it smells, and the ladies seem to swoon for it. :001_smile The best part of it is that it's great not to smell like Cool Water or something that 80% of the guys at college wear.

Musty ferns and whore's handbag fail to conjure up a romantic mood but just call me old fashioned. I would liken the scent to a funeral parlor but one in which you are not the deceased, if that is a plus.

I have the same problem Bic. I wish it would last longer. I'm going to try to request one of the Trumper's samplers in the mail, and see if I find any other longer lasting ones.

crispy,

pm me if you have any luck.

such a cruel world: the less expensive colognes last all day yet smell like a frat house. the top shelf colognes last minutes yet smell like the heavens.

cruel cruel world.

Chris and BICSTER (Gotta name?),
Violet, the real thing that is, is a fleeting fragrance. I have found that to enjoy the fragrance of Ajaccio Violets for hours, I must resort to a dash or two on my forearms (they are hairy) and my chest (hirsute-sounds better than hairy). I have noted the slight scent of violet on my forearms even the next morning.

One aspect of hte violet aromatic experience is that there is a chemical compound (can't recall the name) which acts to quickley and temporarilly desensitize your nose from the violet aroma. Thus, the violet aroma is fleeting, but usually only to the wearer. And after the chemical wears off, the scent comes back. Thus, to those around you, coming close and then moving away, they get a quite dynamic sensory experience, as the violet scent comes and goes. kind of coquettish, no?

Or so explains Dianne Ackerman in her wonderfull "A History of the Senses"

That's pretty interesting, I've never heard of that. I have noticed that I will still get remarks on it after I can't smell it anymore, I guess that's why. Either that or it's the allergies!

Top Bottom