What's new

Genuine ACE Hard Rubber Comb

I used to use a comb as a kid then I switched to a plastic brush which I've been using for the last 20 years (since high school). So much time has passed that I forget why I switched to the brush. I've got a 'regular' kind of haircut, sometimes a buzz cut for the summer, so was a brush any better than a comb?

I remembered that I had an old comb in a box in the garage so I dug it out. It's a genuine Ace Hard Rubber 5" fine tooth pocket comb with all its teeth :thumbup: but some of the gold has come off its lettering. :thumbdown I like to research stuff so I looked up Ace. They still make combs but not in hard rubber. (Cost cutting perhaps?) There were a couple sites that had 'vintage' Ace combs but it's hard to tell if the were made of hard rubber. The new ones are now made in China. There's nothing else printed on my comb to identify what country it was made in. What I couldn't find was when Ace stopped making the hard rubber variety and switched to plastic. I'm guessing that I picked up this comb in the 80's but I don't remember if it was new when I got it or a hand me down.

The lowly comb can be overlooked sometimes but it's a standard piece of grooming kit that I'm adding back to my medicine cabinet.

Anyone else use an old Ace hard rubber comb?

My grown son and I sometimes drive SWMBO to distraction with an extended discussion of the virtues of the hard rubber pocket comb. The ones we like are hard rubber with the word

UNBREAKABLE

in italics on one side.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ace is now made in China, and the material is very poor quality. They break and the teeth bend.

I have been using the Clipper-mate Pocket Comb, which is polypropylene (not as good as hard rubber, but better than brittle plastic) which are still (currently) made in USA.

:thumbup1:sure we can google and look for "new" ones...but in the back of my mind, there is still an old barbershop out there with the old card that still has one or two combs still on display that has never been sold.

The other side of me is thinking there is still a brand new display that never has been opened in somebodys daddy's whose brother was a barber, still sitting there waiting to be discovered...

Great another AD!!! CAD - Comb Acquisition Disorder, thanks Guys!

I remember back in grade school, when you'd be in line to get your pictures taken, the teacher had a box of combs handing them out to anyone who wanted to refresh their style before their turn. It seems that I always had a comb or two around. Then in Middle school when I started to care more about my hair, I switched to a brush. Used a brush ever since. Lately I have picked up a comb a couple times to use. I'll have ot go check to see what I have, but I'm sure they are too new to be the good ones. I may have to look for a good vintage Ace.

My grown son and I sometimes drive SWMBO to distraction with an extended discussion of the virtues of the hard rubber pocket comb. The ones we like are hard rubber with the word

UNBREAKABLE

in italics on one side.

I had those when I was a kid!

They may be unbreakable but they can be lost.

If hard rubber combs are your thing, you should consider Hercules Sageman combs, handmade in Germany:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvzAml_kMCQ[/YOUTUBE]

Great another AD!!! CAD - Comb Acquisition Disorder, thanks Guys!

Haha, sorry about that. Much cheaper than RAD.

After using it for a few days I think the 5 inch version is a little too short. I'll keep a lookout for the longer 7 inch version probably at antique stores.

CAD indeed!

I bought an old ACE comb from eBay a few months ago. Paid 99 cents plus something like $2.50 for shipping. Cleaned up well. Pretttty Pretty good.

I have a ACE that stays in a kit that I keep at my parents when we come to visit. I got a cheap one from Sally's that I have been carrying for about 2 years. It is not rubber but it is a good quality plastic marked unbreakable. I'll carry it till I go to my summer flat top then it will go in the storage box till the middle of the fall.

I've had mine for years. Don't have anything to comb on top since I buzz it down as far as I can but I use mine to comb my van dyke/circle beard everyday.

Top Bottom