What's new

Gents...

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
What do you have going on there? Moding them in some way?

In the past I’ve seen other folks from around Facebook (Corn Cob Nation group) or sometimes on here modifying cob pipes. I did some research on the web and asked a few questions as well and figured I’d try my hand at something fun while being cooped up at the house. So for this cob, I sanded it down a little bit, put some colored plaster of Paris, thinned out some brown leather dye and finished off with a lacquer finish. Tomorrow I’ll be heading to a friend’s wood shop to turn a few briar pen blanks to replace the hardwood shank that normally comes with a MM cob pipe. I hope to have this one finished by Easter but that is still up in the air timeframe wise.

R/
Dave

In the past I’ve seen other folks from around Facebook (Corn Cob Nation group) or sometimes on here modifying cob pipes. I did some research on the web and asked a few questions as well and figured I’d try my hand at something fun while being cooped up at the house. So for this cob, I sanded it down a little bit, put some colored plaster of Paris, thinned out some brown leather dye and finished off with a lacquer finish. Tomorrow I’ll be heading to a friend’s wood shop to turn a few briar pen blanks to replace the hardwood shank that normally comes with a MM cob pipe. I hope to have this one finished by Easter but that is still up in the air timeframe wise.

R/
Dave

How do you thin out the leather dye? Just add some water?

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
How do you thin out the leather dye? Just add some water?

Denatured alcohol (DA). The first round of pipes was 1:1. This pipe was 1:.5 (1 part DA - 1/2 part dye).

To add, by no way am I any kind of subject matter expert (SME). All I can provide is what I am currently doing. If it’s incorrect please correct me. I want to learn. For me, this has been a fun project.

R/
Dave

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification

R/
Dave
That's awesome! I'm sure those will turn out great. I saw the fancy work you put on the shank of one of your cobs during the zoom meetup. Well done. Please show off the finished product.

So I need to switch from middle shelf bourbon to bottom shelf for a few months?

Just curious how much money I need to launder so the wife doesn't notice as much... "Ya Honey, only spent $40 on this one. Ain't it purdy like you?"

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So I need to switch from middle shelf bourbon to bottom shelf for a few months?

Just curious how much money I need to launder so the wife doesn't notice as much... "Ya Honey, only spent $40 on this one. Ain't it purdy like you?"

It won’t be the most expensive we have ever had. Much depends on the “extras” I want to add on, but affordability, great value and exclusivity are still paramount to the B&B LE. The goal is to satisfy all three.
This year is a little different as a monkey wrench was thrown into the works and we are having a lot more discussion than before on this, but c’est la vie.

It won’t be the most expensive we have ever had. Much depends on the “extras” I want to add on, but affordability, great value and exclusivity are still paramount to the B&B LE. The goal is to satisfy all three.
This year is a little different as a monkey wrench was thrown into the works and we are having a lot more discussion than before on this, but c’est la vie.
👍

Top Bottom