What's new

Gentlemen's Essentials

I think I could pull together something like this at some point.:001_smile

That would be great!

You might wish to include this link:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

Then, again, you might not. There are some curmudgeons and braggards on there, but it won't take the discerning gentleman long to learn who should just be ignored. There's a fabulous wealth of information there, if you can strain out the occasional olive pit in your martini. :001_tongu

:lol:

-Andy

Yes. How to load, clean, break in a new pipe properly (without damaging it) and some maintenance/use advice (dos and don'ts) would be helpful. Also, some info on the basic types of pipe tobacco and perhaps some good examples (brand names) of each.

-Andy

Hope I'm not breakin any rules about posting links to other sites if so I apologize and please let me know about my error.

Anyway here are a couple of good starting points if your interested in smokin a pipe.
http://www.squidoo.com/pipesmoking101
http://www.notsoboringlife.com/pipe-smoking/guide-to-pipe-smoking/

"A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Lazarus Long

And most importantly...know how to be a father to a son/daughter and to love unconditionally.

There are quite a few things on the list. Sadly, most people today seem to have forgotten, "common courtesy." Know your neighbor by name, open a door for a lady, say, "Thank you."
I live in a very backwards town and even here, no one seems to know what common courtesy is. One thing i encounter way too often is when I hold a door open for a lady walking up behind me, and not even being acknowledged with so much a s a smile or thank you, or even eye contact. That irritate me.

I've told my daughter that any guy she brings home to meet me had better:
a. not wear a baseball cap in the house, let alone backwards,
b. his underwear better be inside his pants
and c. he'd better be able to speak PROPER English.

Personally I don't use "text" speak as I see it as being just plain lazy. I type out every, single word and do the same in emails.

Personally I don't use "text" speak as I see it as being just plain lazy. I type out every, single word and do the same in emails.

Being raised with most of the modern technology available today (cell phones, laptops, internet), most of my friends use text speak in emails; I don't. I take the extra fraction of a second to actually type out "okay" instead of the completely overused and lame "k". Many say I speak "proper" or "formal", but I just call it normal.

Great list. I have always felt that true gentleman also always have 3 things on their person. 1. A business card or personal identifier that can be distributed to others. 2. A lighter or quality matches. Even if he doesn't smoke. 3. A clean hankercheif.

IMHO.......

There are quite a few things on the list. Sadly, most people today seem to have forgotten, "common courtesy." Know your neighbor by name, open a door for a lady, say, "Thank you."
I live in a very backwards town and even here, no one seems to know what common courtesy is. One thing i encounter way too often is when I hold a door open for a lady walking up behind me, and not even being acknowledged with so much a s a smile or thank you, or even eye contact. That irritate me.

I've told my daughter that any guy she brings home to meet me had better:
a. not wear a baseball cap in the house, let alone backwards,
b. his underwear better be inside his pants
and c. he'd better be able to speak PROPER English.

But what if she brings home a foreigner?

Great thread; wish I could contribute.

Alas, 'ruck march really far,' 'run,' 'field strip an M16,' and 'build your personal library' are not really genteel skills. The remainder of what I know is even less refined, though there isn't a lot of it.

Separate articles on beer, wine, and whisky tasting might be good, with a conspectus of the major styles. I could do beer tasting (or brewing).

Edit: Wow, sorry to resurrect this one; just realized how dead it was!

Last edited:
Top Bottom