What's new

Gentlemen's Essentials: Snus

Only reason I'm considering a mildly flavored snus would be for the transition from the admittedly overpowering flavors I'm acustomed to. I do enjoy a mild mint, or when I used skoal I would add a tiny amount of whiskey to the can. I guess I won't know untill I try. I will check out that thread and maybe order a can or three to start.

-Xander

Ah I see. Roda has a super mild licorice taste and jager pris has a stronger juniper taste.
Only reason I'm considering a mildly flavored snus would be for the transition from the admittedly overpowering flavors I'm acustomed to. I do enjoy a mild mint, or when I used skoal I would add a tiny amount of whiskey to the can. I guess I won't know untill I try. I will check out that thread and maybe order a can or three to start.

-Xander

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Alright, I started with camel too, having flirted with smoking, and real snus was difficult for me to get the hang of. I'll make recommendations, but the rest of you, please chime in!

General Nordic Mint and Classic Blend are good introductions, tailored to the American snus market. They're Swedish-tasting, but not overly so. A good introduction that I wish had been around when I first started. Only thing is, they're more expensive per portion, because there's less snus per can. General Mint is also quite good, but the mint flavor is not sweet - it can burn your mouth with mint-overload at first - it's that strong.

Next level: I highly, highly recommend Goteborg Rape #1 and General White. The flavors are subtle, but they are both really good snuses, and as your tastes become accustomed, you will be able to pick out more intricacies. General White is still my top snus. Ettan white is a bit more of a straight tobacco, but still very well balanced and tasty.

Next, I'd branch out into some more adventurous territory. Try Ettan or General los, or General Original. These are all incredibly complex, and can be difficult to get used to. Nordstrommen Brandy Alexander is a good first los, because it is somewhat sweet, and has incredibly deep background notes of tobacco and brandy.

After that, let your taste buds decide! Each of these stages I'd recommend sticking with for a month or more, because with snus, your tastes evolve GRADUALLY.

After reading this, I've come to the conclusion that I'm a retard. I've been a snus user for a year now, coming from cope straight long cut. I still keep a can of cope around when I want loose, and just realized that I can buy loose snus. This can of cope is my last can. I'm going to keep a can of General loose and then pouches of different snus brands from now on. With support of a few of my friends hopefully I can kick American tobacco out the door for good.
Does anyone know of a snus flavor that is similer to cope straight?
Thanks for being so rad everyone. This is a really great forum to be on. First saving my face from razor burn, now saving my mouth from the possibility of oral cancer!

[edit, spelling/grammer and new info]

Picked up a can of General Loose last night. Pretty easy to pack right out of the fridge without thumping much (old habits die hard). Taste is great, the pris stays right where I put it, without many problems. Nothing a quick tongue swipe can't fix at least. The only time I had problems with mudslides was when I just grabbed a pinch and placed it upper middle instead of my usual upper left...

Last edited:
Ok, I just stumbled on this thread and have been reading through it. I am ashamed to admit to being a Camel snus user for the last few years now. A can lasts me between 2-4 days normally as I can only use it when at work, my wife detests my tobacco usage but tolerates my occasional cigar. I am in the discreet user crowd. I am now very interested in trying a proper snus. Without having to get a sampler, anyone have a recommendations for brands/flavors to try? FWIW, I currently use camel mellow and frost because of availability at my local service station. I am not overly fond of the sweet flavors of camel, but didn't have a clue what I was missing. Maybe I will check out the several good tobacconists in town to see what they have available to them.

Any advice to get me up to par with the "in crowd?"

-Xander

Well sir, I think we may be married to the same woman. Haha!
Best of luck to finding real snus! Here in Utah one of the few decent cigar shop sells a few brands of real Snus. General, Oden's, Offroad, and Jagerpris...but the Maverik country store (gas station/corner store) started carrying General at all their locations. They carry General mint, mint mini, original, wintergreen, loose, and of course white portion. Have you tried checking General Snus's website? They have a store locater. I would start there.

So I'm thinking of getting into snus so I won't smell like smoke all the time (I remember my great uncle Al always smelled awesome from pipe tobacco, but it doesn't work that way for me lol)
Also I don't want to be unsmoochably smoke tasting.

Any recommendations for a good tasting, mild snus that won't make my girl turn up her nose? Maybe something minty.
Also, does snus stain your teeth?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Unfortunately, it does, but in my experience not more than coffee. General Nordic Mint is the best introductory snus IMHO.

So I'm thinking of getting into snus so I won't smell like smoke all the time (I remember my great uncle Al always smelled awesome from pipe tobacco, but it doesn't work that way for me lol)
Also I don't want to be unsmoochably smoke tasting.

Any recommendations for a good tasting, mild snus that won't make my girl turn up her nose? Maybe something minty.
Also, does snus stain your teeth?
If you can't find the General Nordic Mint that CzechCzar mentioned easily, the General Mint is pretty good. It has a pleasant minty/slight tobacco smell when you first open the can. It's what I started with.

[edit] added a word.

Last edited:
Haven't had any snus in months, I guess maybe my ecig hobby got me a little bored with it but I've been missing it and was surprised that I have 3 gas stations near me that sell the General stuff. Picked up some white portions, $2.99/can. That seems cheap to me for a gas station but I'm pretty excited to find it nearby although I wish they have General Sterk White and Onyx.

Actually saw someone using snus on the tv the other evening. I was watching the Netflix/Norwegian show Lilyhammer (Not sure why it's called Lilyhammer when the town is Lillehammer but there you go!)

One of my favourite progs at the moment and very very funny.

Must order some more as I ran out a while ago. Ettan are my favourite.

Gareth

Has anyone tried the General Nordic Mint or Classic? Its new stuff that was released into the US market...I am a big fan of General Mini Mint. Anything like it? I noticed a gas station by my house sells it now and im kinda of excited. I just hope its not like Camel Snus...blahhh.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Mini mint is like regular mint, but sweeter. Best snus for newbies I have come across. Classic I really like - think of it as a cross between white and original. I love white, but can't stand original, fwiw.

Anyone else having a problem with snus.com? My orders have been taking over a week to process and almost 2 to arrive. I live in PA, too. Any ideas about other domestic snus distributors? This lag is getting out of control. Also, they haven't been answering any email queries.

Thanks,

Tim

Can anyone tell me of small snus companies like Taboca AS I don't want any V2/SM/Skruf companies! Please only small companies with GOOD snus!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Can anyone tell me of small snus companies like Taboca AS I don't want any V2/SM/Skruf companies! Please only small companies with GOOD snus!
Jakobssons
Montecristo (if you can get it)
Granit (I personally hate this brand)
Blue Ocean (made by AG snus I think)
Cigar Chess
Gustavus
Gringo
Jagarpris (I personally hate this brand)

Honestly, of all these the only really great one is Jakobssons. I usually stick with SM - they are well-reputed for a good reason, namely, they only make fantastic snuses.

Jakobssons
Montecristo (if you can get it)
Granit (I personally hate this brand)
Blue Ocean (made by AG snus I think)
Cigar Chess
Gustavus
Gringo
Jagarpris (I personally hate this brand)

Honestly, of all these the only really great one is Jakobssons. I usually stick with SM - they are well-reputed for a good reason, namely, they only make fantastic snuses.

You forgot Lundgrens snus. Just don't buy the prebaked version :)
Lundgren is a favourite of mine.

(Oops, didnt notice the date on previous post, well a good time for some raising of snus awareness)

Top Bottom