What's new

Gentlemen's Essentials - Official B&B Cookbook

David & Steph's Beef Rub / Seasoning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Granulated Onion
1 Tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 Tbsp Celery Salt
1 Tbsp Smokey Paprika
1 Tbsp Course Ground Pepper
1&1/2 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg

Great on steak's. We like more pepper but we just add more. Enjoy!

Smoked Pheasant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1 Whole Pheasant
Cherry Wood Chips
1/2 cup Pickling/canning Salt
6 cups Cold Water
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
3 tbsp Maple Syrup
2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
2 tsp Pickling Spice
2 tbsp Honey
3 tsp Soy Sauce
1 cup Chicken Broth
1 Beer

Directions:

In a large glass bowl or sealable bag, combine pickling salt, water, brown sugar, maple syrup, vinegar and pickling spice. Add pheasant and put in frig for at least four hours, turning occasionally. Drain, discard the brine and let the pheasant dry on paper towel for thirty minutes. In a small bowl combine honey and soy sauce. Start gas or charcoal grill on one side only and soak cherry wood chips in water. Put wood chips on hot coals and put pan with chicken broth and beer over hot coals. Brush pheasant with honey soy mixture and place on side of grill opposite the coals (indirect). Cover and try to maintain a temperature of between 150 degrees and 250 degrees, opening grill as little as possible. Smoke pheasant for two to three hours adding more cherry chips during the last hour.

This was my first thing I did on the Primo, it came out pretty good. At least the guys at work loved it. I skined the bird and trimed most of the fat away before the smoke. After it was done I pulled it apart and served it with cheese and crakers as an appetizer, a big hit

Last edited:
Cole Slaw (Maxman style)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3 cups green cabbage shredded
4 radishes, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
3 carrots, grated
1 fennel, thinly sliced
3/4 cups rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 Tbsp. Honey
1 Tbsp. Grainy Mustard/Dijon
Miracle whip (desired amount)

Toss cabbage, radishes, onion, carrots and fennel together.
In a saucepan, heat vinegar, sugar, oil, honey and mustard.
Pour over cabbage mixture.
Let sit in refrigerator.
mix several times over to make sure everything is nicely coated.
Drain excess liquid and mix in Miracle whip before serving.
I like a lot of Miracle Whip, but use your own judgement.

Finnish Pancakes
~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 beaten eggs
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 Tablespoon melted butter.

Beat sugar, salt and eggs. Add milk and flour alternately to egg mixture.
Stir in butter.
Use a scant 1/4 cupful on hot griddle.

Strawberries Westminster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8-10 oz. Strawberries (quartered)
1 oz. Grenadine
1/2 Lemon (make sure there are no seeds in it)
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Tbsp. Butter
2 oz. Grand Marnier
2 oz. Cointreau

Over high heat, caramelize sugar with butter.
Add grenadine and juice lemon. Mix thoroughly.
Add strawberries and flame with Grand Marnier and Cointreau.
Reduce and serve with Vanilla ice cream.

Strawberries Acapulco
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8 - 10 oz. Strawberries (quartered)
2 Tbsp. Grenadine
1 1/2 oz. Heavy Cream
2 tbsp. Sugar
2 oz. Brandy
2 oz. Pernod
Dash Fresh ground pepper.

Over high heat, add sugar (do not caramelize)
Add strawberries, Mix thoroughly
Flame with Brandy; add grenadine and fresh black pepper.
Add Pernod with heavy cream.
Reduce and serve with vanilla ice cream.

Durgin-Park's Boston Baked Beans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bake at 300 F for 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours.
---------------------------------------------------
1 package (1 pound) navy or pea beans
6 cups water
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 pound salt pork, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 small onion, peeled
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper

1. Soak beans overnight in a large bowl in the 6 cups of water. Place beans with soaking water in a large kettle; add baking soda; bring to boiling; lower heat and continue to boil for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander over large bowl reserving liquid.
2. Place salt pork, onion and beans in a 2-quart bean pot or casserole. Combine molasses, sugar, dry mustard, pepper and 1 cup of the reserved liquid. Pour over beans, stir thoroughly. Add just enough reserved liquid to cover beans (about 1 cup). Cover casserole/bean pot.
3.Bake in a slow oven (300F) for 2 hours. Add remaining 1 cup liquid and stir thoroughly. Continue baking an additional 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender and liquid is absorbed. Bake uncovered the last half hour, if you wish.

Note: on the bottom of the recipe, my mom wrote 1-2 Tblsp. Ketchup.
Not part of the original recipe, add it if you wish. She did (I guess) and I can tell you I love her baked beans.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Cole Slaw (Maxman style)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3 cups green cabbage shredded
4 radishes, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
3 carrots, grated
1 fennel, thinly sliced
3/4 cups rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 Tbsp. Honey
1 Tbsp. Grainy Mustard/Dijon
Miracle whip (desired amount)

Toss cabbage, radishes, onion, carrots and fennel together.
In a saucepan, heat vinegar, sugar, oil, honey and mustard.
Pour over cabbage mixture.
Let sit in refrigerator.
mix several times over to make sure everything is nicely coated.
Drain excess liquid and mix in Miracle whip before serving.
I like a lot of Miracle Whip, but use your own judgement.

I usually do the one with Vinegar and oil, not the creamy one. I am curious to put fennel in there now...

I usually do the one with Vinegar and oil, not the creamy one. I am curious to put fennel in there now...

The original recipe did not include the honey, mustard and Miracle whip.
I like my coleslaw creamy. Maybe I should change it to read, add miracle whip if desired for creamy style?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The original recipe did not include the honey, mustard and Miracle whip.
I like my coleslaw creamy. Maybe I should change it to read, add miracle whip if desired for creamy style?

I think you should keep it the way you like it! It's not about traditional recipes but each and everyone own creations! :thumbup1:

Ingredients
One 12 ounce can of chicken
2 cups of instant rice
32 ounce of chicken broth
a small bag or about a cup of baby carrots
2 stalks of celery
basil
oregano
salt
pepper
garlic
This is an easy and hearty soup that will be a big hit this time of year. Chop the celery into about 1/4 inch pieces and the carrots in half.
Put the carrots, stock, chicken [yup, put the broth from the can in too] and rice in a nice big pot and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and let it simmer for about 30 minutes, add the celery and the spices to taste. You may need to add some water at this point, it depends on how thick you want the soup. Let simmer for about another 20 minutes and you are ready to go.

Stir Crazy Cake

2 1/2 cups Flour
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1/2 cups Cocoa
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Oil
2 tablespoons Vinegar
1 tablespoon Vanilla
2 cups Cold coffee
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon

Put flour, 1 1/2 c sugar, cocoa, soda, salt in ungreased 13"x9"x2" pan. Stir with fork, make three wells. Pour oil in one well, vinegar in one, vanilla in one. Pour coffee over all, stir with fork until well mixed. Do not beat. Combine 1/4 c sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.

Simple, tasty burgers
proxy.php

Start off with a pound of 80-20 ground chuck. Nice, fatty beef makes the best burgers.
proxy.php

Some ground garlic and minced shallots
proxy.php

Good quality salt and pepper
proxy.php

Mix in one beaten egg
proxy.php

Form into two 1/2 pound burgers
proxy.php

Grill to medium rare
proxy.php

proxy.php

Enjoy
proxy.php

Last edited:
Meatloaf by Jooky

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground turkey
1 box Stove Top Stuffing
2 Eggs
1/3 block of Velveeta Cheese cubed

Preheat oven to 375. Mix (by hand) ground beef and ground turkey together in large bowl. Add the box of Stove Top and continue to mix into meat. Add two eggs and continue to mix. Mix in Velveeta cubes and form mixture into pan of your choice. Coat with topping listed below if desired. Cooking time depends on pan used. A bread loaf type pan takes @ 1 hour and 20 minutes in my oven. A casserole type pan takes about 50 minutes in my oven.

Topping (optional)
2 Tbs Ketchup
2 Tbs BBQ Sauce
2 Tbs Steak Sauce
Franks hot sauce to taste

Mix ingredients together in a small bowl, brush on to meat loaf before placing in oven.

Sure, its nothing fancy, but it makes a fairly dense and very flavorful meatloaf. Experiment with different flavors of stuffing mix, I prefer sage, but they are all pretty good.

I frequent a Rush-related board and as cooking is a passion of mine, I post quite a lot of recipes. Here is a small selection cut and pasted from there:

Chicken with ginger and spring onions.

Cut up some chicken breasts into small bits suitable for stir frying. Make a marinade of one clove garlic pureed, one 1/2" cube of fresh ginger, grated or pureed, a splash of rice wine vinegar, a squeeze of lime juice, a splash of light soy sauce and pepper. Mix in about 1 tsp of oil to blend it nicely, check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Mrs p got distracted by the shops on her way home so it marinaded for about 1.5 hours in the end.

Open a beer, and make a wok sauce:
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp red wine vinegar (don't over do this)
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
Taste it and if it's too sharp add a little sugar, or thin with a little water.

Stir fry the chicken until evenly coloured all over and set aside.

Take about 1/2 an onion, finely sliced and another cube of fresh ginger (size to taste) again finely sliced, and fry over a medium heat until soft. OPTIONAL add a finely sliced small red chilli at this point and fry for a couple of mins.

While this is taking place, it may be appropriate to drink the beer.

Add back the chicken and any juices that have gathered and mix through. Chuck in one finely sliced spring onion (slice on the diagonal so it looks artistic), or more if (a) you have some - I didn't! and (b) if you feel so inclined. Save the green bits and cut into 1" long strips to add at the end.

Stir in the wok sauce and heat through for a few mins until the chicken is cooked through but still tender. Sprinkle in the green bits from the onions and stir through for a minute and serve, with a winning smile and a song. That's optional as well, I find that it depends on the amount of beers consumed.

Italian-style meatballs

I was searching around for inspiration yesterday and found a recipe which I adapted slightly.

To 400g minced beef added one finely minced clove garlic, 1/2 finely chopped onion, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp Dijon mustard and salt and pepper. Make into balls. The recipe said golf ball sized but I have never shot a golf before and I don't know what size balls they have so I went with about " " that big. I got nine balls anyway, i.e. 4 1/2 golfs clearly.

Fried in a little olive oil until nicely browned then added the other half of the sliced onion, another chopped garlic clove, small red chilli with seeds finely sliced and fried for a couple of mins until beginning to soften then added a chopped red pepper, 4 or 5 chopped cherry toms that had been lurking in the fridge and some chopped mushrooms then fried all together for 4 or 5 mins. After that, some beef stock and a couple of good squirts of tom paste and stirred all in. A good wodge of dried oregano never goes amiss with tom sauces so as much or as little as you like and check the seasoning - I added a pinch of sugar as the tom paste can be a bit sour. Bring to a boil and simmer until the sauce is thickened and the balls cooked through.

Technically should be served with pasta but we had rice left over from last night and in the pursuit of healthy eating I did a big salad as well.

Carrot soup, pretty much made up as I went along, so may just call it "Pricey's Carrot Soup" when I write the cookbook

Sweated off some garlic and a finely chopped shallot for 5 mins in some olive oil. Added 1 tsp cumin powder and 1 tsp coriander seed powder and about 1 tsp finely chopped coriander stalks. I saved the leaves for later - but see below.

Fry the spices for a minute and then add in the chopped carrot - I used 2 medium sized ones and about a litre of liquid in the end.

Added in the juice of 1/2 an orange which was hiding in the fridge. I have no idea what happened to the other half but I am sure it was something worthwhile.

Then topped up with about 1 litre of chicken stock and brought to the boil then simmered for about 20 mins, and adjusted seasoning.

Gave it a blitz and stirred in the coriander leaves although I am not sure they actually brought anything to the party when it was finished so maybe skip next time.

Served with a drizzle of lemon oil to which I had added a few drops of orange juice and some shreds of orange zest so it all looked jolly pretty.

There was a nice background of cumin and coriander spice and the orange brought out the natural sweetness of the carrots.

Last night bit of a curry...

Sunday night, I took 20 or so cardamom pods, and got the seeds out then ground up to a powder. Took 3 cloves garlic and a thumb sized piece of ginger, blitzed to a paste. Added the seeds, a teaspoon of tumeric powder and a teaspoon of fenugreek powder. 3 tblspns Greek yoghurt and mixed in, then a handful of finely chopped coriander.

2 chicken breasts, cut up into bite sized chunks and add to the marinade, overnight in the fridge.

When ready to cook, take the chicken pieces out and shake / scrape off the marinade, and melt a little butter in a wok. Fry off the chicken so it gets a little colour and set aside. Add a finely minced clove of garlic, half a teaspoon of tumeric and half a teaspoon of fenugreek and a teaspoon of chicken stock powder. Fry for a couple of mins and then put the chicken plus any juices back in.

Add the left over marinade, plus a couple of tablespoons of Greek yog left from last night and a 250ml carton of coconut milk. Take 2 large green chillis, ***** all over and put into the mix whole - you dont want to eat these but the aroma of the chilli really adds a depth of flavour and helps cut through the richness. With a cheeky smile, throw in a few cardamom pods, say 5. Salt to taste.

Simmer for 20 mins or until cooked.

Finish with a handful of freshly chopped coriander leaves.

Beef in black pepper sauce with macadamia nuts.

Cut up 300g beef fillet into strips, about 4cm x 1/2 cm. Make a marinade, 2 tsps soy, 1/2 tsp freshly crushed black pepper, 1 clove garlic (pureed by chopping finely then mashing into the chopping board - I always imagine it's our HR Director's head...) and a 2cm bit of ginger grated into it. Marinade for about 1 hour.

Wok sauce: 2 tsps soy, 1 tsp hoisin, 1 tsp rice wine, 1 tsp red wine vinegar, 1 tsp corn starch and 2 - 3 tsps water, 1/2 tsp freshly crushed black pepper.

Fry the beef in 2 - 3 batches until evenly coloured. Remove and set aside. I poured the juices into the wok sauce.

Stir fry 1/2 finely chopped onion, one finely chopped clove garlic, one thumb-sized piece ginger cut into matchsticks and one big green chilli (optional) sliced nicely on the diagonal for 2 mins then add back the beef. Stir through and add the sauce. Bring to the boil for a minute or two and add about 25g macacdamia nuts (half a pack, depends on size!), give another minute and stir in about a handful of chopped coriander. Last night I has some baby asparagus so I threw in the tips when I put the nuts in (sounds like that should be in another forum...) but that's optional. I guess you could put other things in if you felt so inclined.

You can adjust the amount of black pepper and ginger to taste, obviously the more the friskier. I find the hoisin and the red wine vinegar gives a sweet and sharp hint but I'm not sure the classicists would approve.

Rack of lamb

Preheat oven to 200C. Make sure there's not too much fat on the meaty bit, sometimes you get a layer of quite thick fat which can be tough. Season with salt and pepper both sides and dried oregano on the underside only.

Mix 2 tbsp Dijon mustard, a couple of mashed garlic (see above for technique, the more people mashing that bastard's head, the better), a little salt and pepper and dried oregano. I used coriander last night, not so good for some reason. If it's a bit thick, a squirt of lemon but not too much it has to stick to the lamb. Experiment a bit with the herbs and seasoning for your taste.

Heat an oven proof saute pan, little olive oil and butter and when foaming put the meat in presentation side down, and saute for a 2 - 3 mins. I stand the rack on each end in the oil (using tongs of course, it's hot!) so the eye of the meat is sealed.

Remove and set on a board, then coat the browned side with the mix.

Back in the pan, mix side up and into the oven, 20mins for medium. I have no idea how long well done takes and would not want to know...

Remove and let stand for 5 mins. Cut into individual chops and serve.

You can do this as a full dinner, make a sauce with the pan juices and cook veges etc, or last night we just had with a mass of salad. If you had friends over, get 2 racks and lace the bones together and stand in the pan (the racks not you) then bring to the table when cooked like that, looks impressive!

Tonight chef Pricey's Stroganoff:

1/2 med sized onion thinly sliced
5 - 6 mushrooms, thinly sliced
Deseeded large red chilli, very thinly sliced (this is strictly optional and most Hungarians would not recognise this touch!)

Fry onions and chilli until soft in a little oil and butter over a low heat. Add the mushrooms. Fry for a few mins then add 1 glass dry white wine, bubble away the alcohol and then add 1 cup beef stock. Throw in a teaspoon of Dijon mustard here and a good tablespoon of paprika. Check seasoning for salt and pepper.

Turn the heat up and reduce until the sauce is quick thick but not too syrupy then pour into a bowl or something and reserve.

Get some fillet steak ("tenderloin" to you chaps) sliced into finger long strips but quite thin, then add some more oil and butter to the pan and turn the heat up till it's smoking hot (or as long as you dare let it heat up!) and get the meat in. Fry quickly as it's sizzling and spitting oil over your hand and then the recipe calls for a dash of brandy - I never have any around so I use Bushmills' Black Bush(!) - and flame on! Actually the Bushmills' gives it at interesting background flavour, may not be everyone's cup of tea but we like it.

When the flames die out, add back the onion mixture and heat through. Turn down and add 2 tblsp double cream, maybe a knob of cold butter in case the sauce is not rich enough and check seasoning, may need more paprika.

Turn onto a serving dish and drizzle over some sour cream, sprinkle with paprika to make it look pretty and accept plaudits.

Chicken Curry:

I made a marinade of garlic, onion, fresh red chilli, ginger, salt and pepper and a splash of water in the blender - you want a nice smooth paste - then poured over some chicken cut into 1cm cubes. Left for about an hour. I used 2 small chillis but by the end there was little to no heat in it, so next time it may get 4 small ones!

Get some oil hot and fry 4 -5 cardamom pods and a teaspoon of cinnamon powder for a few seconds then add a roughly chopped onion, fry for about five mins until soft. It should get quite brown due to the cinnamon and your kitchen should smell quite fragrant. Unfortunately I left all the doors open so the bedroom smelt quite fragrant as well...

Then add a tspn cumin powder and a tspn coriander powder, fry for a few seconds until absorbed and stir in 4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt and 4 tblspns tomato puree. You might want to add a pinch or two of sugar as tom puree can be a little sour but up to you.

Once well mixed, pour in the chicken and marinade and stir into the mixture. Once it's simmering reduce the heat a bit. Let it go for 5 mins, and mix in a tspn of garam masala mix powder and 175ml water. Simmer it uncovered for 15 mins or until cooked through.

Take from the heat, squeeze in the juice of one lemon and a handful of fresh chopped coriander leaves.

This has a lot of subtle flavours so plain rice, or plain naan bread would be good with it.

The recipe claims it's aryuvedic whatever that is.

A beef dish from that star among TV chefs, Keith Floyd Esq.. I first saw him do this on his 'Floyd's American Pie' series in the episode from Texas.

Peel and dice some potatoes, about half inch dice and saute in some olive oil in a heavy bottomed, large saute pan until lightly browned, then set aside.

Take one large white onion and finely slice, and one green pepper, de-seed and chop into 1/2" squares, then saute briefly in the same pan as you did the spuds. After a couple of mins, add the meat. I used fillet steak, cut into 1/2" cubes, you could use rump or something, just need to cook for longer.

Once the meat is browned, add two peeled, de-seeded and chopped tomatoes, a splash of wine (whatever you happen to be drinking at the time, last night it was a white Burgundy!), and about a cup of beef stock. Put the spuds back in now, and stir around to meld everything together.

Add a good pinch of freshly ground black pepper, cover and simmer. Depending on the meat, 15 mins to about 25 I'd say. You want it tender, so check every so often (chef's perks!). It should be a fairly dry "stew", but with still some gravy knocking around.

When ready, check the seasoning - because of the potatoes it does need a good bit of salt, but don't overdo it - and then add a handful of chopped coriander leaves (to taste really, I like a lot of it).

Aloo Ghobi

Finely sliced one onion and two large green chillis (if you don't want the heat you can de-seed these) and finely chopped 3 fat cloves of garlic. Sweat those off in some vegetable oil over a low - medium heat for a few minutes until the onions are soft. Up the heat a wee bit, but not so things burn.

Take a couple of potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1" dice and add to the pan, fry together for about 5 or so mins, then add in about a similar amount of cauli florets cut into same size bits. Fry that for a further 3 - 4 mins so the pots and cauli are taking on a little colour.

Add the spices.
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp tumeric powder

Fry this all around for a couple of minutes, the veggies will turn bright yellow and the aroma will be amazing. Now would be a good time to check you shut all the doors from the kitchen, and maybe have a beer, this is thirsty work. Even typing this is!

Add in a tablespoon of softened butter, stir all through and then just enough water to cover. Add about 1/2 tsp salt but you can adjust at the end. I also cheated and put in a 1/2 tsp of chicken stock powder. I also had a red chilli for another dish and I took a small amount and chopped into really small bits, just for the colour. Cook for about 5 - 7 minutes. Nearly there now!

When it's ready, the pots should be just about ready to start falling apart. Add in about 1/2 tsp very finely chopped fresh ginger. If it is young ginger, mush it up to a puree and stir it through and finally add a good handful of chopped coriander leaves.

When you serve it the colours are just brilliant: vivid yellow veggies, with a few specks of scarlet chilli and the deep fresh green herbs.

My incomparable Beef Wellington. The last 2 Christmas Days have been at a friends' place, about 20 adults and assorted rugrats and I am always prevailed upon to bring at least one.

Season a lump of fillet beef and sear on all sides. Keep the pan for the sauce, rub all over with English mustard powder, and let the meat cool. Toss a pile of mushrooms and a clove of garlic into a food processor and blitz. A little olive oil in a pan and fry off the mushroom duxelle adding some salt and pepper. I also like a pinch of cumin just to enhance the earthiness of the mushrooms. Into a bowl with a small slab of foie gras pate and mix all around with a fork. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

I'd like to claim I make the puff pastry but that would be a lie, so once it is defrosted and rolled out, I spread some of the duxelle on the pastry and laid the meat on top, then spread the rest of the duxelle all around the meat, wrap it all up, and into the fridge for 30 mins.

Egg wash, decorate with little pasty off cuts and scored crisscross lines and into a preheated oven 230C for 25 mins or until pastry golden. Remove and rest for 10 mins.

Get the pan you seared the meat in back on the heat and pour in a glass of the wine you plan to drink with the Welly. Bring to the boil, and reduce till you have a thick syrupy jus.

Cut off the end wad of pastry, then carve inch thick steaks, place in the middle of the plate and drizzle some of the jus round it artistically and serve to rapturous applause and adulation.

This is actually a great dish as it looks dead impressive but really it's quite straightforward.

Steak.

Costco NY Strip @ room temperature
Kosher Salt
Pepper
Trader Joe's Stilton Cheese (Trust me)

Heat grill to as high as it goes (Mine goes beyond 550)
Coat steak on both sides with salt and Pepper (I like the pepper very Course, NOT fine)
Place steak on grill for 3 minutes each side
Remove from grill slice a thin strip of cheese and place on top
Cover steak with foil for 4-5 minutes

Serve.

Suitable for Vegiatarians and Meatys alike:

Ingerdients.

1 onion sliced
50g butter
60ml olive oil
2 leeks about 450g in total chopped
1 cup plain flour
½ tsp of bicarbonate of soda
3 large eggs
1 cup greek yoghurt
300g feta cubed
115g grated guyere

Method.

sauté leeks and onion in butter untilsoft.preheat oven 180. C

sift flour and bicarb
stir in eggs then yoghurt and feta
add leeks and onion plus guyere
sprinkle some guyere over top beforebaking for 40 mins

we have this as a side dish with meals, while our vegitaran son has it as his main dish

Chive and Horseradish Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes

2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 cup heavy cream
6 Tbsp butter room temperature
2 Tbsp prepared horseradish
2 Tbsp chopped chives
Salt and White Pepper to taste

3 or 4 quart sauce pan
small sauce pan
potato ricer

Fill a 4q sauce pan about half way with cold water

Peel the potatoes (cut any large ones into smaller chunks) and place in cold water Add or pour off water so that the final level is about an inch above the potatoes and salt the water with about a teaspoon's worth.

Bring to a boil and cook until a paring knife will easily go into an out of the potato. About 20 minutes.

In the meantime, place cup of heavy cream into small saucepan on very low heat and whisk in the horseradish and chives. Don't scald the cream, just warm it thoroughly.

When potatoes are done, drain thoroughly and then rice them back into the warm sauce pot. Add butter in 6 pieces to the potatoes and stir with spoon or spatula to thoroughly incorporate. Add warm cream mixture and do the same.

Add salt and white pepper to taste.

Makes 4 large or 6 moderate servings.

Top Bottom