What's new

Gentlemen's Essentials - Official B&B Cookbook

Start your day the steel cut way!

Makes 2 servings
Estimated prep = 13.5 minutes
  • 1/2 cup steel cut oats
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 1 Tbl. brown sugar (est. for each bowl)
  • 1 Tbl. flaxseed oil (est. for each bowl)
  • small handful of walnuts
  • 1 small banana chopped (if you'd like)
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • splash of milk

Put the oats in a small sauce pan on high with the water. Turn you attention to making your morning coffee for a moment. As soon as you begin to see any simmer, turn your attention away from the coffee and turn the heat down to medium while stirring the pan with a wooden spoon. After a minute or two turn the heat down again to low or just above low and stir again. Stir occasionally. As the oats thicken up keep the stir on to keep anything from sticking to the pan. After about 12 minutes you can pour the oats into two bowls. Add the rest of the ingredients. If you'd like to warm the milk up, nuke the bowl in the microwave for 37 seconds. Stir up your bowl and enjoy!

A note on Omega - 3 fatty acids. Besides taste, I add the flaxseed oil and walnuts for healthy cholesterol maintenance, the anti-inflammatory properties, and it's other healthful benefits. Omega-3 oils are not produced by your body and need to be taken in your diet if you want its benefits. O-3's have been reported to have a positive impact on asthma, heart disease, cancer prevention, brain function, and other conditions (probably related to it's ability to reduce blood triglycerides).

"Hawaiian" Portuguese Bean Soup

Makes 18 Servings

• 2 cups dried beans
  • 2 smoked hocks + a shank if you got it (more meat!)
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup chopped cilantro (1 large bunch)
  • 2 cups diced potato (red, skin unpeeled)
  • 2 cups diced carrots (3 large)
  • 1.5 cups diced onion (1 large)
  • 0.5 cup diced celery
  • 1 Portuguese sausage (10 oz.)
  • 2 cups tomato puree
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Soak beans in water overnight. Drain.

In a stockpot, combine soaked beans, ham hocks/shank, chicken stock, cilantro and water to cover (about 6 cups). Bring to a boil, then simmer until meat and beans are tender.

Remove skins and bones from ham hocks/shank; shred meat and return to stock. Slice and fry portuguese sausage, and blot with paper towel. Add sausage to stockpot along with potatoes, carrots, onion, celery and tomato puree. Cook until potatoes are tender. Season with salt and pepper.

Goes great with fresh bread! Ono!

Brant's Chicken and Sausage Gumbeaux

1 3/4 cups cooking oil
2 1/2 cups of flour
3 cloves garlic-minced
1 cup celery-chopped
1 1/2 cups onion-chopped
1 cup bell peppers-chopped
2 pounds cajun sausage-sliced
1 1/2 gallons hot water. Better if use chicken broth
3 tablespoons bottled brown bouquet sauce
1 tablespoon worestershire sauce
2 tablespoons gumbo file'
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons pepper
3 chickens-cut up in frying pieces
1/2 cup parsley-chopped
1 cup green onions-chopped

Begin by making roux with flour and oil. Stir over fire until dark brown. Add garlic, celery, bell pepper and onion. Set aside. In another skillet, fry sliced sausage. Add sausage to roux mixture. Pour water (chicken broth) and bouquet sauce into large pot. Add roux mixture, worcestershire, gumbo file', salt and pepper. Let boil for about 20 minutes. Brown cup-up chicken in oil. Add fried pieces of chicken, parlsey and green onions to pot. Cook for 45 minutes. Serve over rice.

Note: For the chickens, I buy a the equal amount of fried chicken from Popeye's, like a family pack. For you people that don't have a Popeye's, use Church's Chicken or KFC. If neither one is around, try a rotisserie chicken, plan. Nothing crazy like lemon/herb. Usually it is cheaper, in the long run, and cuts some of your cook time down. You may also add peeled shrimp, 10 minutes into the "boil" process of the cooking.

If anybody has any problems trying this, due to the "coonass" part of me and something doesn't make sense, please email me and I'll try to help.

French Onion Soup

4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 large red onions, thinly sliced
2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
1/2 cup red wine
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 sprigs fresh parsley
1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 thick slices French or Italian bread
8 slices Gruyere or Swiss cheese slices, room temperature
1/2 cup shredded Asiago or mozzarella cheese, room temperature
4 pinches paprika

Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in salt, red onions and sweet onions. Cook 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.

Mix chicken broth, beef broth, red wine and Worcestershire sauce into pot. Bundle the parsley, thyme, and bay leaf with twine and place in pot. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard the herbs. Reduce the heat to low, mix in vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep over low heat to stay hot while you prepare the bread.

Preheat oven broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and broil 3 minutes, turning once, until well toasted on both sides. Remove from heat; do not turn off broiler.

Arrange 4 large oven safe bowls or crocks on a rimmed baking sheet. Fill each bowl 2/3 full with hot soup. Top each bowl with 1 slice toasted bread, 2 slice Gruyere cheese and 1/4 of the Asiago or mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle a little bit of paprika over the top of each one.

Broil 5 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. As it softens, the cheese will cascade over the sides of the crock and form a beautifully melted crusty seal. Serve immediately!

I got this recipe from allrecipies.com. I have making a similar version of this soup for years, but I find this one more practical and easier to make, enjoy!

This will make 6 servings

6 Chicken Leg Quarters
6 Hot Italian Sausage Links (optional)
1 Large #10 can whole potatoes
1 Lg jar Pearl Onions
2 cans sliced carrots
2 cans green beans (not French cut)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 quarter cup mayo
6 cloves garlic, whole (optional)
Salt & Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper flakes (optional)
Large Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil

Pull out and cut 6 squares of Aluminum foil, take each chicken quarter and rub with mayo, place one on each foil piece.
Evenly divide the remaining ingredients (Onions, Potatoes, Carrots, and Green Beans) as well as the optionals (sausage & garlic) and pile it on the chicken.
Now add the soup, evenly dividing it on the piles. Dust with salt, pepper and red pepper to taste.
Close each bundle by pulling up the four corners and twisting them tightly. They should form what looks like a Hersey's kiss.

Place bundles on the grill. Both charcoal or gas will do just fine. Either way, they should be set on medium heat. If you have a covered grill, the bundles should be left for between 30 and 35 minutes, uncovered for 45 minutes.

Remove from grill, open carefully to let steam escape......Enjoy!!!!

Penne Pasta with Sausage and Peppers

1 pound of Italian sausage. 1/2 hot sausage, 1/2 mild sausage
2 large bell peppers. one green and one red
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup paresan cheese (grated)
1/4 cup ramono cheese (grated)
1/4 cup asiago cheese (grated)
8 oz. box of penne pasta,cooked

In a large skillet, cook sausage, peppers,onion and garlic until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain off fat. Stir in cream, parsley, marjoram, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cook and stir over medium heat for eight minutes until slightly thinken. Pour over cooked pasta. Toss mixture with cheese. Serve at once with more cheese if needed.

During the cooking process, I sometimes add more sausage,cream and cheese. To each is his own.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Peking noodles

In a large skillet briefly saute minced garlic, ginger, and shallot (or scallion) in a bit of oil until fragrant.
Add 2-3 oz ground pork and saute until almost cooked through.
Add 1/2 tsp XO sauce or hot bean paste (I use Lee Kum Kee and Har Har respectively, when I don't have time to make my own).
Add 2-3 oz chicken stock, 1T dark soy, 1/2 tsp sugar, and 1/2 tsp sesame oil.
Cook fresh lo mein noodles in salted boiling water for 2 minutes, the add to pan.
Add 1T chopped cilantro 1 tsp chopped scallion.
Toss and serve.

Last edited:
New Orleans style B-B-Q Shrimp

3 pounds of large fresh shrimp in shell (remove heads)
1 cup butter
1/2 cup olive oil
4 tablespoons garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
1/4 teaspoon oregano, dried
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
5 tablespoons black pepper
4 bay leaves, fresh
4 sprigs of rosemary, fresh
1/8 teaspoon red pepper

Melt butter in olive oil. Add all other ingredients except shrimp. Let sauce stand for at least 15 minutes. When ready to cook, add shrimp and sauce to skillet and cook for about 15 more minutes, stirring often. Divide shrimp in individual bowls and pour sauce over them. Serve over Italian, French, or Greek bread. Have extra bread for dipping in sauce.

Brant's Southern Deep Fried Turkey

1 12-15 pound turkey (very important:COMPLETELY THAWED AND ALL INSIDE PARTS/BAGS REMOVED AND CLEANED!!!!)
1 large bottle of Italian Dressing ( I use Wishbone or Kraft)
1 large bottle of Tobasco Sauce
1 large bottle worcestershire sauce
1 large bottle of Heinz 57 steak sauce
1 large can Tony Chatere's seasoning
1 container onion powder
1 container garlic powder
3-5 gallons of peanut, vegitable or clear frying oil

First take a large bowl that the turkey can fit in and place a medium, unsented trashbag in it, drapping over the sides. Take your turkey, and pierce the intire body with a pearing or steak knife. Place the turkey in the bowl/bag, breast side up. Generously squirt the Italian dressind, Tobasco sauce, worcestershire sauce and steak sauce over and inside the caviety of the turkey. Then generoulsy sprinkle the Tony's, onion powder and garlic powde over the turkey, creating a paste like coating over the outside of the turkey. Turn turkey over, where the breast is down. Do the same to the top as you did the breast side. You will use about most of the liquid products, if not all of the Italian dressing, most of the Tobasco, worcestershire sauce and steak sauce. Draw up the bag, removing as mush air/space as you can, and tie off, leaving the turkey in the bowl, breast down. Marinate for five (5) days in frige.

I ADVISE TO PURCHASE A TURKEY FRYER KIT, containing the pot and rack to place the turkey in, and a thermometer. Some even contain the burner with hose. They can be used for boiling seafood, frying other things, and steaming food. On day of cooking, bring oil to level in large, deep pot, something meant for frying turkeys or a gumbo/stock pot, enough to cover turkey. For my pots, it usually takes about 3 1/2-4 gallons. Heat oil to 350*F with a propane burner, OUTSIDE AND NOT UNDER YOUR CAR PORT/GARAGE!!!!! As oil is coming up to temperture, bring turkey out and scrape off excess seasoning from the turkey and drain cavity of merinade. When oil comes up to the proper temp, place turkey breast down, but be VERY CAREFUL. My advise is to use large, long oven mitts. If you do not have a turkey fryer pot combo, which contains a rack for the turkey, you can use a couple of WIRE HANGERS. Fix where turkey is not resting on bottom of the pot. Cook the turkey for 3 1/2 minutes per pound.

This is not a cooking project that you can walk away from. You have to watch your oil temp, making sure not to the oil. This means not letting it go over 400*F.

When you pull out the turkey, it will look burned, but is is actually from the red pepper and seasonings that turned the skin a dark, rich brown. Let the turkey rest about 10 minutes before slicing.

I've been frying my family Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys this way for the last 15 years. Usually I have to fry two per holiday and there may be enough leftover to make a sandwich or two. Enjoy.

As always with any of my recipes, if something doesn't sound right or confusing, contact me and I'll try to help.

Caesar Salad

1 head romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
1.5 cups croutons, make your own, or buy a high-quality brand
3 tablespoons shredded parmesan, reggiano preferably
one serving dressing, as follows.

Toss the lettuce with the dressing, toss again with parmesan, toss once more with croutons. Enjoy!

Dressing:

.5 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2-3 lge cloves garlic, minced (I'm a garlic nut, so I use more than this)
1 tsp anchovy paste
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 egg yolk
juice of half a lemon (~1 tbsp.)
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
.3 cup olive oil

Starting at the top, thouroughly whisk in each ingredient before adding the next one. When it comes to the oil, drizzle it in very slowly while whisking to ensure it emulsifies properly.

As with most cooking, the better, and fresher the ingredients you use, the better the final product. So, get a good quality red wine vinegar, not the nickel stuff. Same goes for the worcestershire sauce, and most definitely the olive oil. In fact, the oil has the biggest impact on the final flavour, so experiment with different grades of oil and note the difference.

Here's a complex, deep-flavored cold weather salad. Easily adaptable to infinite variations.

Arugula, toasted pine nut and roasted beet salad

Ingredients:
3 small beets
3 large shallots
Handful of pine nuts
2 bunches of arugula
A few ounces of Roquefort cheese
Flour

Dressing:
3T EVOO
2T sherry vinegar
1/4t salt
2t honey
Black pepper to taste

Wrap beets individually in foil, then roast at 400 degrees for about an hour, until easily pierced with a knife. Cool, remove skins (easily comes off with a paper towel rub), and slice into small wedges.

In medium pan, toast pine nuts over medium heat until evenly golden. They will burn, so keep an eye out. While that is going, slice shallots thinly and separate into rings. Toss with 1/4t salt, some pepper, and a couple of tablespoons of flour. Remove nuts and add 3T olive oil and heat over medium high heat until almost smoking. Shake off excess flour and add shallots. Fry until deep golden brown, about 5 minutes, moving them around occasionally. Remove to paper-towel lined plate.

Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together. Add a tablespoon of dressing to beets, and toss to combine. Wash arugula and add to large bowl. Toss with remaining dressing.

Plate: Arugula, surrounded by beets. Top with fried shallots and pine nuts, then crumble roquefort over top to taste. Serve with some crusty bread and you are set for dinner.

Suzuki's Chili

Here's my favourite chili recipe - its good as is and is easily customized to suit your personal preferences.

Ingredients:

2 - 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds beef diced (you can use stewing beef, but I'll often use other inexpensive cuts)
1 large onion chopped
3 -4 cloves garlic (depending on size and prefernces) finely chopped (NOT run through a garlic press)
3 tablespoons chili powder (the fresher the better)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (more or less to taste)
1 cup beef stock (or red wine or beer)
1 28oz can of pureed or diced tomatoes
1 19oz can of beans (drained and rinsed) - kidney, chickpeas, mixed, black, etc.
Salt & pepper to taste
1 - 2 teaspoons of brown sugar or maplesyrup

Instructions:

1) Heat oil in large pot on high heat, add beef and brown well (about 4 - 5 minutes). Remove from pot and season with salt and pepperl

2) Lower heat to medium and saute onion for about 3 minutes or until softened.

3) Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

4) Return meat to pot and add spices and oregano- cook for 1 minute or until you can smell the spices (TIP: Measure all of your spices and oregano into a small bowl so you can add them to the pot all at once).

5) Add beef stock (or wine or beer) and tomatoes. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 60 minutes - longer is better and I usually let mine simmer for at least 2 hours to make the meat nice and tender. If the level of liquid starts to get a little low, you can add more stock, wine, beer or water as necessary, but not too much as this tastes best if its nice and thick.

6) About 15 minutes into the simmering, add brown sugar or maple syrup - this does not make the chili sweet, it just counters the acidity that you often get with canned tomatoes and just seems to enhance the flavour.

7) About 20 - 15 minutes before you're ready to take the chili off the stove, add your beans - adding the beans towards the end prevents them from getting mushy.

You can increase the heat by adding hot sauce, more cayenne or omit the beans entirely.

I find that using diced beef significantly improves the flavour over what you get with ground beef.

Enjoy!

Gorilla Bread
(Better than monkey bread!)

1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
2 (12-ounce) cans refrigerated biscuits (10 count)
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon. In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over low heat, stirring well; set aside. Cut the cream cheese into 20 equal cubes. Press the biscuits out with your fingers and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar. Place a cube of cream cheese in the center of each biscuit, wrapping and sealing the dough around the cream cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the nuts into the bottom of the bundt pan. Place half of the prepared biscuits in the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, pour half of the melted butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of nuts. Layer the remaining biscuits on top, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar, pour the remaining butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of nuts. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Place a plate on top and invert.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Hazelnut cookies

I'm not much of a dessert guy, but these are a weakness, and simple to make.

Ingredients
1/2 cup hazelnuts (2 oz)
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Preparation
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.

Toast hazelnuts in a shallow baking pan until fragrant and skins begin to loosen, about 6 minutes. Rub nuts in a kitchen towel to remove any loose skins (some skins may not come off) and cool to room temperature.

Pulse nuts and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor until nuts are finely ground, then add flour and a pinch of salt, pulsing until combined. Add butter and pulse until dough just forms a ball. Divide dough in half, then roll dough on a work surface lightly dusted with sugar and flour into 2 (11-inch-long) logs (each about 1 inch wide). Chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, 1 hour.

Cut logs crosswise into 1/2-inch slices and arrange rounds 2 inches apart on 2 baking sheets.

Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until bottom edges just begin to turn pale golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool cookies on sheet 2 minutes. Place remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in a small dish and dip tops of cookies in it, then cool sugared cookies on a rack.

Stolen from Gourmet magazine, I believe, and they're some of the best I've tried. They should look like this-
proxy.php

My new favorite Manhattan:

2.5 parts Russell's Reserve Rye
1 part Carpano Punt e Mes

Stir for at least 20 seconds over ice, then pour into chilled glass with a brandy-marinated cherry.

No bitters required here - the Punt e Mes is seriously bitter and aromatic, though if you want to gild the lily I suppose a dash of Angustora would be ok.

This is so damn good I can't describe it.

As an amusing aside, my 2 year old was watching me mix the drink. After I was done, he exclaimed "Dad! You forgot the bitters!". At the same moment my wife was passing by, and the look she gave me could have killed.

Chicken Cannelloni with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce

1 (8 oz.) package cannelloni or manicotti shells
4 cups finely chopped cooked chicken meat
2 (8 oz.) containers chive and onion cream cheese
1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 cup (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Italian -seasoned bread crumbs
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper

Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce
Garnish: Chopped fresh basil or parsley

Cook pasta according to package directions, drain

Stir together chicken and next 6 ingredients.

Cut pasta shells lengthwise through the other side. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture into each shell, gently pressing cut sides together. Place, cut side down, in a lightly greased 11X7 inch baking dishes. Pour Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce evenly over shells.

Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish if desired.

Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce

2 (7 oz.) jars roasted red bell peppers, drained
1 (16 oz.) jar creamy Alfredo sauce
1 (3 oz.) pakage shredded Parmesan cheese

Process all ingredients in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides

1 1/2 pounds of sweet and/or hot Italian sausage links, cut crosswise into 1 inch chunks
4 garlic cloves, thinely sliced
2 large green, yellow, and or red bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 jumbo onion (about 1 pound), cut in half, then cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes in puree
1 can (15 oz.) tomato puree
1 tsp. salt
1 pound ziti or penne pasta
1 package mozzarella cheese, cut into cubes
1/2 cup Romano cheese, grated

1) Prepare sauce: In deep nonstick 12 inch skillet, cook sausage over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until browned on all sides, stirring occasionally.

2) Reduce heat to medium. Discard all but 2 tablespoons sausage fat. To sausage in skillet, add garlic, peppers, and onion, and cook, covered, 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occassionally. Stir in tomatoes with their puree, tomato puree, and salt; heat to boiling over medium heat, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

3) Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.

4) Cook pasta per directions minus 2 minutes

5) When pasta is cooked, mix all ingredients together, placing in a large baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbley and brown. Sprinkle with Ramano cheese.

Combine in a large bowl:

1 1/2 lbs ground beef - a ratio of 85% lean to 15% fat seems to be the sweet spot
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs
garlic in some form - I'm crazy about the McCormack Garlic Pepper (comes in disposable glass pepper mill for about $3.00)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350

Line the bottom of a bread pan with an 1/8th of an inch of brown sugar.
Drizzle ketchup over the brown sugar in bottom of pan.
Form the meatloaf into the pan.
Sprinkle brown sugar (not too much) over top of loaf.
Drizzle ketchup (again, not too much) over top of loaf.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour 20 minutes.

Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed aparagus.

Enjoy! I know I will be in about 45 minutes. :wink:

Catfish Louisiana

Shrimp topping
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 tsp. hot sauce
1 tbsp. seasoned salt, divided
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 (6 oz.) farm raised catfish fillets
1 cup vegetable oil
Garnishes: Chopped fresh parsley and chopped green onion
Hot cooked rice

Shrimp topping

1/4 pound small fresh shrimp
3 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tsp. chicken flavored bouillon granules
1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. paprike
1/2 tsp. hot sauce

Peel and devein shrimp; set aside. Combine 2 tbsp. oil and flour in a small heavy skillet, stirring with a wire whisk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until roux is caramel-colored (about 6 minutes). Set aside. Cook celery, bell pepper, and onion in remaining 1 tbsp. oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add shrimp and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in water and remaining 5 ingredients. Gradually add reserved flour mixture, stirring until smooth, and cook until thoroughly heated. Set aside but keep warm.

Prepared Fish

Combine eggs and next 3 ingredients; add 1 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt, and set aside. Combine flour and remaining 1 1/2 seasoned salt in a shallow dish. Dredge each fillet in flour mixture; dip in egg mixture, and dredge again in flour mixture.

Pour oil into a large heavy skillet. Fry half of the fillets in hot oil over medium-high heat 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove from skillet, and drain on paper towels. Repeat procedure with remaining fillets. Immediately spoon warm shrimp topping over catfish, and garnish, if desired. Serve with rice.

Note: You may change out the fish from catfish to some other white flesh fish. I've use redfish, speckle trout, and talapia.

Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce

3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tbsp. light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. groun nutmeg
2 3/4 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup butter
4 cups french bread, cubed
3/4 cup golden raisens, if desired
Vanilla Sauce

Combine first four ingredients; stir in whipping cream and butter. Gently stir in bread cubes and if desired, 3/4 cups golden raisens. Let soak for at least 1 hour or longer. Pour into a lightly greased 2 qt. souffle' or deep baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, then shield with aluminium foil and bake for 20-25 minutes more to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with vanilla sauce.

Vanilla Sauce

1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp. light brown sugar
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
dash ground nutmeg
1 large egg
2 tbsp. butter, softened
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
1 tbsp. vanilla extract

Whisk together first 7 ingredients in a heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 10-12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.

Top Bottom