What's new

Gentleman's Tonic Savile Row brush

I posted this question over on the Shaving Room website, but then spotted that someone on this forum had asked about this brush before, so wondered whether it might find more fertile ground here:

I was given one of these brushes by my wife - looking beyond the "heritage" marketing, the blurb claims these are "hand crafted with the finest grade of badger hair" - does anyone know who actually makes these, and exactly what they are made from ? I think she bought it because she spotted me eyeing a similar looking Muhle brush - F

I joined B&B in 06. I recall seeing threads questioning who made the Savile Row brushes being sold by a then popular web vender, who also sold soap and aftershave that he made in small batches. It was believed by many members that they were made by Shavemac in Germany. I don't think there was ever any factual answer. I bought a small 18mm Saville Row brush within a year or two of becoming member here and still have it. Mine says Finest Silvertip Badger Handmade. Don't know if this helps but a little history as I remember it.

Rebranded Chinese brushes, this has nothing to do with Savile Row the brush maker, neither with their heritage.

This was discussed a few years ago.

Thank you gentlemen for your responses - I am in no doubt that this brush is mainly a branding exercise - these particular brushes were being sold off for less than £20, which suggests a generous profit margin - certainly far more effort has been expended over the marketing than the product itself - but what I was really wanting to know is what it is actually made from - it is perfectly serviceable when it comes to producing a lather, but I find it less useful when it comes to actually depositing the stuff (evenly) on my face - I am considering experimenting with a couple of other brushes, and I'd like to avoid buying a rebranded version of the same/similar thing - some idea of what grade of hair it is would also be useful to this same end - otherwise, I shall probably roll the dice on a couple of things that look promising and give it a go - I'm bidding on a Yaqi synthetic (tuxedo?), but would also like to try a higher grade of badger for good measure (not looking to spend more than £30-40, but happy to buy lightly used/shop soiled etc)
My other option would be to buy a 'knot' and turn up a nice handle (if that's the correct term) at work - I have access to some pretty exotic materials, and it is hardly a complex undertaking - any thoughts would be appreciated - F

That's a pure badger indeed.
The price you paid is acceptable, at full price it would be a total rip off IMHO.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply - so it is 'pure' rather than 'black' badger?

As for the hair grade they are on the same level (basically the very bottom) even if the face feeling can differ.

That doesn't mean it is a bad brush, just probably a bit scratchy/harsh on your face compared to other grades.

Top Bottom