What's new

Gentleman's Nod Shaving

is anyone familiar with this....?
I think they were getting some good reviews for a while there. I tried one sample and the scent was just too weak for me. I think it was number 11, Vincent. And I don't believe I was very impressed with the quality of the lather. It was good, don't get me wrong. But I think that's kind of a expensive soap and I thought it needed to be a little better.

When I told my findings to a friend, they were very surprised because they really enjoyed the lather. So I might try my sample again sometime and only use distilled water to see if perhaps it's a soap that doesn't do well in my hard water.

I think maybe Maggard razors or someone has a sampler called the gentleman's nod flight, which gives you four small samples of that soap. Might be worth a try!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

As part of my Fall splurge to try new soaps, I bought a number of soaps including a tub of the tallow No. 11 Vincent and it is really a nice performing soap. I like the scent and it is becoming one of my new favorites--with notes of lavender, cypress and vetiver. The scent is not overpowering, just subtly intoxicating. I find myself trying to conjure up reasons to use it over other new acquisitions. I catch myself opening the tub just to get a whiff. When I do this, I know from past experience that the scent is a winner for me. That said, scent is a subjective topic and YMMV. For those who may be interested I do recommend getting a sample to see if you might like it. At $27 for a tub it is not cheap. I myself was surprised at how much I like this soap along with another new-to-me soap, Shannon's Haymarket Vetiver.

Last edited:
I tried the sample pack and liked Jackie 42 the best. Performance is very good as @Southsider stated above. The samples are a good way to test drive their scents and not risk buying a full tub on a scent that doesn't work for you.

They sell a package of samples containing their 4 soaps. I mistakenly ordered 2 sets of samples from Maggard a while back. Seeing that I haven’t even tried any of them yet, I’ll PIF a set to anyone if interested.

Last edited:
I have not tried the non-tallow soaps, but I did try the tallow-based Vincent. It is an excellent soap, but at $27, I consider it to be overpriced. If a soap costs $27 per 4 oz tub, I expect it to be outstanding both in scent and performance, not just excellent. I have a number of soaps that have better performance that cost less than Vincent.

However, I will confess to having a few soaps that cost more than that, but performance is truly outstanding on those soaps. If Gentlemen's Nod were to reduce the price of their tallow soap by $5, I would consider purchasing other scents. They just came out with another one called Johnny, but it is still priced at $27, so I am not buying.

The non-tallow version is priced at $20. I have not tried that version. If performance is nearly as good as the tallow version, it might be worth consideration.

Top Bottom