What's new

Gentlemanly restraint from BBS

A Feather in a Merkur 37C is much more restrained than a Feather in the PBOCS. Very close shave today, no alum sting, no issues. Restraint continues to make shaving every day a pleasure.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I've been delinquent about posting, but I've been diligent in my restraint. I find that if I let my beard growth get too long, 2-passes and no touch-up usually gets me a comfortable, but not terribly close shave; but if I'm shaving daily, the 2-passes produces a very comfortable DFS. Regardless, I haven't veered at all from the path, and my only regret is that my "razor time" is so reduced.

My last shave was a RR Mamba .70 with a Nacet. I like the razor (it's a nice mild shave, easily a daily driver), and I'm not sure I could get a BBS with this one even with 3-passes and a touch-up....maybe I'll try after the restraint is over.

my only regret is that my "razor time" is so reduced.

I’ve been putting my saved time into getting my straights into action and to finally reloading/reorganizing Tier 2 storage after Slantember and OCtober. I also find that weird little items catch my attention.

Those edge numbers on some DE blades? I am going to try to use up the edges one at a time on the Supermax Blue Diamond I just loaded (into a Single Ring I was gifted yesterday).

100% edge #1 today, will stick with #1 until it quits on me. Then #2, then flip and see if 3 and 4 have anything to offer. Crazy? Yeah, but the distinct patterns of patina and brassing on the Single Ring help me keep track of the edge I’m using.

My restrained shaves seem to be getting very close. When they aren’t close - change razors, new blade. Shave and learn.

Shave and learn.
Well said sir! Seems when I think I have something figured out, there's a twist. But makes it fun.

I'm still on the restraint train. I think I'm done with the BBS hunt honestly. Nobody notices but me :)

Btw fully enjoying the mighty WCS 175 handle PIFfed to me by @Tanuki. Perfectly fine with using restraint on that baby!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday shave Nov 17-2019, It is going to be with a fairly new acquired J1 Schick injector with NOS platinum blades, the razor is a nice milder razor that will give a DFS.

Razor : Schick injector J1 type- MFG 1957-64
Blade : Schick platinum injector NOS (2)
Soap : Tabac
Brush : Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm+
Preshave:Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap+ a dollop of Aloe Vera gel
Post shave : Dickinson's witch hazel
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :biggrin1:

Nothing wrong with a DFS according to my skin, milder razors are designed to give a great shave but easy on the skin and its up to the operator to understand that design positive of the milder razors. Some times after using a aggressive razor the next day I will switch to milder one just to give the skin a rest.
I shave every day and do not like the feel of stubble if I do not shave.

Sunday shave- Nov 17-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Sunday shave Nov 17-2019, It is going to be with a fairly new acquired J1 Schick injector with NOS platinum blades, the razor is a nice milder razor that will give a DFS.

Razor : Schick injector J1 type- MFG 1957-64
Blade : Schick platinum injector NOS (2)
Soap : Tabac
Preshave:Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap+ a dollop of Aloe Vera gel
Post shave : Dickinson's witch hazel
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :biggrin1:

Nothing wrong with a DFS according to my skin, milder razors are designed to give a great shave but easy on the skin and its up to the operator to understand that design positive of the milder razors. Some times after using a aggressive razor the next day I will switch to milder one just to give the skin a rest.
I shave every day and do not like the feel of stubble if I do not shave.

Sunday shave- Nov 17-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

All my Schick injectors have been perfect for restrained, effective shaves. From the L that I bought New New Stock in my teens, to the Es and Gs I have rescued from antique stores.

I have been warned that the Schick Proline B-20s might break the bounds of restraint. Any opinions there? Maybe I should load one after Thanksgiving.

Ron R

All my Schick injectors have been perfect for restrained, effective shaves. From the L that I bought New New Stock in my teens, to the Es and Gs I have rescued from antique stores.

I have been warned that the Schick Proline B-20s might break the bounds of restraint. Any opinions there? Maybe I should load one after Thanksgiving.
I do not use the B-20 Schick prolines in my Schick injector razors because they are designed for a shavette , They are shorter in length by .005 thousands of a inch and have a huge radius on the ends of the blade that are not really ideal for the regular Schick blade stops. Some fellows claim they are good in their Schick injectors, if used they will be a little more aggressive and make sure they are seated parallel to the safety bar. I used the B-20 injector blades in my Enders speed shaver with great success and have tried one in my Schick E2 and did not care for it because of seating issues. The b-20 blades are sharp and give a reasonable shave but they are meant for certain razors only.
B-20 blades (2).jpg

Here is a B-20 blade on top of a regular Schick injector blade and you can see the large radius corners & shorter length that is not ideal for blade stops IMO.

I do not use the B-20 Schick prolines in my Schick injector razors because they are designed for a shavette , They are shorter in length by .005 thousands of a inch and have a huge radius on the ends of the blade that are not really ideal for the regular Schick blade stops. Some fellows claim they are good in their Schick injectors, if used they will be a little more aggressive and make sure they are seated parallel to the safety bar. I used the B-20 injector blades in my Enders speed shaver with great success and have tried one in my Schick E2 and did not care for it because of seating issues. The b-20 blades are sharp and give a reasonable shave but they are meant for certain razors only.
View attachment 1035927
Here is a B-20 blade on top of a regular Schick injector blade and you can see the large radius corners & shorter length that is not ideal for blade stops IMO.

Thanks! That juxtaposition really makes the point clear. I’ll probably give a B-20 a trial, but looks like it likely will be a one-shave wonder.

The restraint must be getting to me....

I can feel the approach of Thanksgiving. Perhaps my whiskers have become sensitive, like the cat’s.

It has been over a month, and yet the restraint is still strong within me. I usually don’t touch up at all. I never get into a spate of useless extra strokes or fits of buffing.

My. Face. Feels. Great.

(I always wanted to do one of those sentences dramatized by full stop pauses For. Every. Word.)

The most wrenching change? Previously, I was changing razors daily and blades monthly. Shuffling a small set of blades from razor to razor. Now I’m trying to meet in the middle and change both at the same time, approximately weekly.

Thanksgiving is very close. But the restraint from chasing BBS has made me more Yoda-like in attitude, if not in syntax.

I may seek the BBS, but I will not chase it when I have too little time, less than adequate prep, dulled edges, or the wrong tools. BBS is out there, but irritation is not a barrier to be hurdled, rather a guide to direct me back to the true path. Not extra passes or too much touchup or excessive buffing. But excellent prep, sharp edges, best of breed razors, relaxed pace, and careful attention to every detail.

November 25 already? Just going to say, a PIF, a bunch of strenuous forestry work, and the approach of Thanksgiving take it out of a guy. But I have been restrained and freedom (enjoyed responsibly) is near!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Have a great holiday.

November 25 already? Just going to say, a PIF, a bunch of strenuous forestry work, and the approach of Thanksgiving take it out of a guy. But I have been restrained and freedom (enjoyed responsibly) is near!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Have a great holiday.

A superb 1000 post PIF and also an excellent separate one for me. Thanks again for that one John. The official end of the restraint period approaches but I am pretty sure I’ll be sticking to the restraint concept for quite a while. I’ll keep comfort as my guide from here on out. Oh I’m sure I’ll slip and be tempted by the hunt but in the end comfort is king. A happy Thanksgiving to and all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

SOTD Nov 27-2019
Razor : Pal injecto-matic - MFG 1952>
Blade : Schick (3)
Soap : Razorock Lavender
Preshave : Shower + Aloe Vera clear gel on beard area
Post shave : Witch hazel
Post shave : Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :biggrin1:

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
SOTD Nov 27-2019  (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
The official end of the restraint period approaches but I am pretty sure I’ll be sticking to the restraint concept for quite a while. I’ll keep comfort as my guide from here on out. Oh I’m sure I’ll slip and be tempted by the hunt but in the end comfort is king. A happy Thanksgiving to and all!
MrBeez has said it well for me. I did every shave (with perhaps 1 exception) with 2-passes and no touch-ups, and I'm going to continue that trend -- at least for the most part....there were times that I REALLY needed a spot touch-up. I learned a lot from this exercise, but perhaps one of the biggest take-aways is that I really don't need a 3rd pass, and my face has thanked me for that restraint.

And I want to thank @Tanuki for a fun and educational thread!

I made it, and have decided to stick with it for the foreseeable future. It's just a good idea.
Thanks for starting this thread.

I should also mention that I only do two passes on the mustache area and like @Flintstone65 says my face thanks me for it. I get a little obsessed with getting all the whiskers under my nose which is difficult sometimes depending on the razor, but this has all been about getting the best results with RESTRAINT. And that has sort of made me get the best, or at least try to get the best out of every move you know what I mean? Making all the strokes count. I guess that's my main take away. I've been DE shaving for exactly a year now and I'm still learning :) Great to read all the lessons learned guys. Shave on!

But I’m convinced my technique is far more wary than it was, now that I’m using SRs.

Not wary enough.

Thanksgiving’s shave was restrained, but hurried. We hosted, so the time pressure was on.

A nice close hour-before-the-guests-arrive two pass shave, Henckels 95 and Merkur 37C. One moment of inattention with the SR left a dime-sized red patch on the neck. But no blood.

And so my pledge of restraint is over. Did I miss the buffing? Did I miss the sting? Did I miss fondling my neck when I hit BBS? Did I miss the hours of irritation when the chase went to far? Well, maybe I missed the fondling part, but I loved life without razor burn.

Up soon? Another dance with the R41, restrained, of course. There may be some BBS in that razor, but I will warily let it flow out rather than chase it down.

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread! :punk:
:a21::a21::a21:

I should probably taunt @SucKO a little, but I just don’t have enough fake irritation in my soul or all-too-real irritation on my face to let loose. I will give the devil’s advocate his due thanks for getting this endeavor launched. :devil:

However, after a quick search for a thread with such a topic I didnt find one, so, fair enough and challenge accepted. I'll start a thread tomorrow and drop a link here for those so inclined.

I may have missed this BBS-or-die thread, but @Esox will be watched closely for more data on every-day BBS. In any case, as a founding BOSC crazy, he is watched closely by professional medical staff, even in the isolation ‘shave den’. I had no idea that Tech Psychos were so efficient.

Enjoy the holidays and Shave On!

Top Bottom