What's new

Gentlemanly restraint from BBS

I have been shaving too much (and chasing BBS way too much) throughout Slantember and OCtober. I resolve to not chase BBS again until Thanksgiving Day. Not even a fresh Feather or a new razor will tempt me.

Well, I’ll be tempted, but my gentlemanly restraint will win the day. Pile in, post a pledge, and share your trials, tribulations, successes and failures.

“By DE, by SE, by straight and shavette, by modern razor, by vintage razor, by dollar store razor, while shaving by any means whatsoever, I, @Tanuki, will not attempt to attain BBS, nor will I buff, nor will I go beyond 2 passes and a perfunctory touch up of the neck whorls, until Thanksgiving Day, 2019.”

So help me, Hannah.

I have been invited and will take up the mantle of the Official Devil's Advocate to Non-BBS Chasers. And no, I am not a Compulsive Jerk :whistling:

“By DE, by SE, by straight and shavette, by modern razor, by vintage razor, by dollar store razor, while shaving by any means whatsoever, I, @Tanuki, will not attempt to attain BBS, nor will I buff, nor will I go beyond 2 passes and a perfunctory touch up of the neck whorls, until Thanksgiving Day, 2019.”
That is a strong pledge there, but a good razor/blade combo can get you that BBS with only 2 passes and a light neck touch-up..... Just Saying.

Reasons to try to Chase a BBS.... Well I have until Thanksgiving Day so I will pace myself.

Have a Great One!

So that’s one devil’s advocate :devil2:, one earnest proselytizer for the true BBS faith :LMS, and zero acolytes :ouch1: of this new reform movement. Starting strong...

I am unshaken! And maybe unstirred.

I am on restraint this month!!

After that, I will need to rest up (and stock up!!) :badger::badger:

With time, the less I chase BBS the more often I achieve it!

I am on restraint this month!!

After that, I will need to rest up (and stock up!!) :badger::badger:

Thank you, brother!

Good point - chase, BAD; achieve, GREAT!

Oh this is gonna be fun I can tell already :) Yes, I am in. Plus this is a totally novel idea. Unless there's been a thread on this already, I don't know. But thanks @Tanuki for starting the madness.

I will start with a confession. One of the things I actually like about chasing a BBS shave is that because my face is left particularly raw, especially with my WCS 110s OC, when the aftershave goes on it's a mighty burn. A burn I sort of relish. Yes, I like the pain of the burn in the morning to start my day. Aqua Velva, Clubman, Barbasol Brisk, Proraso, whatever. Of course, it does subside but I do like that initial slap in the face. So I expect to have less of those aftershave moments as I hone in on the best non-BBS shave I can get. For me I'm thinking two passes and a little touch up but no ATG on my neck for sure.

Cheers gentlemen!

The pursuit of the BBS is the pursuit of the excellent. It is a blending of technique and skill, plus hardware.

I understand restraint against mere hoarding and stockpiling, sure. But this? This is like swearing off Charles Dickens to devote a year of reading to Deepak Chopra or L. Ron Hubbard.

It simply isn't done.

I have been shaving too much (and chasing BBS way too much) throughout Slantember and OCtober. I resolve to not chase BBS again until Thanksgiving Day. Not even a fresh Feather or a new razor will tempt me.

Well, I’ll be tempted, but my gentlemanly restraint will win the day. Pile in, post a pledge, and share your trials, tribulations, successes and failures.

So help me, Hannah.
Good luck on your adventure, I'm pulling for you!

I agree with BigJ, when I stopped chasing a BBS they happened more often.

Oh this is gonna be fun I can tell already :) Yes, I am in. Plus this is a totally novel idea. Unless there's been a thread on this already, I don't know. But thanks @Tanuki for starting the madness.

I will start with a confession. One of the things I actually like about chasing a BBS shave is that because my face is left particularly raw, especially with my WCS 110s OC, when the aftershave goes on it's a mighty burn. A burn I sort of relish. Yes, I like the pain of the burn in the morning to start my day. Aqua Velva, Clubman, Barbasol Brisk, Proraso, whatever. Of course, it does subside but I do like that initial slap in the face. So I expect to have less of those aftershave moments as I hone in on the best non-BBS shave I can get. For me I'm thinking two passes and a little touch up but no ATG on my neck for sure.

Cheers gentlemen!

I recommend an aftershave balm, rather than an alcohol-based splash. My preferred is Afta, which is around $2.10 a bottle.

The balm makes you feel like every shaving endeavor was executed expertly. A splash reveals every shortcoming.

Agreed aftershave balms are soothing. I use Nivea and Afta occasionally. But I was saying I like the burn. I know. Crazy [emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have been invited and will take up the mantle of the Official Devil's Advocate to Non-BBS Chasers. And no, I am not a Compulsive Jerk :whistling:

That is a strong pledge there, but a good razor/blade combo can get you that BBS with only 2 passes and a light neck touch-up..... Just Saying.

You are not alone. :)

Or even one buffing pass!

BBS or nothing! lol

@SucKO and @Esox Maybe one of you guys can follow up this exercise in restraint with a month dedicated solely to the pursuit of the BBS [emoji16]

@SucKO and @Esox Maybe one of you guys can follow up this exercise in restraint with a month dedicated solely to the pursuit of the BBS [emoji16]

I might even join for a short season of BBS hunting once my face recovers from two months of daily, slightly obsessive shaving.

I still need to accept that not every razor and not every blade is ready to deliver BBS. Especially not the blades that I find, forgotten, in a razor that rotated in - when??? Why am I buffing with a blade that has already failed two passes?

I am listening to Yoda. Until Thanksgiving. And will be tracking/changing blades regularly, but without higher aspirations. And will be (maybe) sticking with just a few reliable razors. For safety and facial/mental health.

And maybe buying some non-alcohol aftershaves, though I actually get exactly where @MrBeez is coming from. Have to say, that 110g razor handle freaks me out.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I shave for a BBS finish every shave and have had one for virtually every shave in the last 2+ years. The length of that BBS finish depends on the razor used. In the case of a Gillette Tech, 6 hours. My Fatip Grande 12 hours and my GEM MMOC, typically 14 hours but as long as 19 hours. The only time I dont have a BBS finish is when using an under performing soap or blade.

However, after a quick search for a thread with such a topic I didnt find one, so, fair enough and challenge accepted. I'll start a thread tomorrow and drop a link here for those so inclined.

Top Bottom