What's new

Generic blade surprise

I'm shocked. I just picked up a package of 10 grocery store brand knockoffs of the WAL*MART Personnas for $2.50...they gave me my best ever shave this morning. After one pass, there was almost zero stubble left and I got the closest to a BBS after my second pass which was ATG. They even say "stainless steel" instead of "platinum chrome" like the Wally World ones, otherwise they look identical.

For $2, I figured not much lost if they were horrible, but the first one was awesome. I did not expect this.

They were the Giant Foods store brand, in a red/black package.

Hopefully blade #2 won't be like a butter knife or worse yet, a cheese grater.

I'm slightly shocked because I only paid $1.79 for the same blades here. :smile:

- Chris

[Edit: They were Personna brand at Walmart]

Same thing happens in Germany at Real supermarkets: 1.39 Euro for 10 blades.
In the back of the blister you read: "Made in USA by ASR Personna".
They are very smooth shaving IMO, my second choice after the Super Iridium.

If you still have the package, does it say where the blades were made?

Typically these are marked "Made in USA" on the blade... I've not seen "made in" info on the package of store blades, just something to the effect "made for" or "Marketed by" and the name of the grocery chain.

If you still have the package, does it say where the blades were made?

Pitched it but I did read the back first...Made in USA by American Razor or something like that.

They look just like the Wally Personnas (that I paid $1.73 for 10) except...stainless steel instead of platinum chrome.

I was under the impression from comments on here that the stainless steel ones were inferior. My first one wasn't...let's just see if the trend holds through the remaining 9.

I'll put in another vote for the store brand ASR blades. I get consistantly good shaves from them. I think one reason they get a bad rap is that since they are readily available here in North America, newbies often rush out and buy them and proceed to hack up their face. They blame the blade rather than their lack of technique. Before anyone goes ballistic on me, I know not every blade works for everyone. I do think though, that ASR blades are not as bad as some people think.

-Clarke

08/11 - Still getting the smoothest shaves I've had on that same blade I posted about and started using 08/06. :w00t:

Have not had to change it yet...still performing.

I should probably mention I keep a goatee, so I'm only shaving the sides, neck and that spot under my bottom lip so I don't have a stray patch there. Maybe shaving half of my face prolongs blade life. :)

I'll put in another vote for the store brand ASR blades. I get consistently good shaves from them. I think one reason they get a bad rap is that since they are readily available here in North America, newbies often rush out and buy them and proceed to hack up their face. They blame the blade rather than their lack of technique. Before anyone goes ballistic on me, I know not every blade works for everyone. I do think though, that ASR blades are not as bad as some people think.

-Clarke

Righteous comment!!! :ihih:

UPDATE:

Well, I changed it out of my slim adjustable after about 7 shaves...still could have done more but didn't want to push my luck like that crazy guy in the "What the hell is this?" thread. :lol:

Put one of the store-brand ASR blades in my '67 Tech and ended up with a record-high 3 nicks. :w00t:

So blade #2/10 was very sharp as well.

Went back to a WAL*MART Personna in my Adjustable and it still shaves well, but not like that grocery store find did.

However, I think they may be TOO aggressive for my Tech.

After I get through all 10, I'll make my decision on buying them at my local Wally World (which I HATE stepping foot into, it's like a rap concert, Ellis Island and a Social Security office in one) or my Giant grocery store.

Of course, I want to try some Personnas from Israel too, which I'll have to buy online.

Gave it a second try with the Tech, still cut up my neck.

Put the Wally blade back in the Tech this morning and it was a clean, bloodless shave.

So the Stainless Steel ASR blades work great in my Adjustable, but not the Tech. The Wally World Platinum Chrome ASR Personnas work safely but not close in the Adjustable (unless I crank it up to 7+) and GREAT in the Tech.

Finicky razors.

I'll be using the grocery store blades in the Tech until they're out and the Wallys in the Slim Adjustable.

Now I just need to find a blade that both of my most-used razors like.

I have not tried the grocery store blades in my SS....I should.

Well the stainless steel ones (grocery store) still give me a smoother shave but also occasional nicks, which I never get from the WALMART Personnas.

Top Bottom