What's new

Generation Kill

Just starting a thread to see if anyone else is watching this new miniseries on HBO. I was a huge fan of The Wire and have high expectations as this series progresses.

I have really enjoyed HBO over the years for their original programming. This past year or two they have really been sliding though. They finished off all their good series shows, the boxing used to be stellar but they haven't had a good fight in over a year and the final straw...unceremoniously ending Inside the NFL. I dumped them a month ago. If this new series is good I'll catch the DVD. Tom Hanks is also doing a follow up series to Band of Brothers (one of the best series in TV history) about the Pacific campaign. Again, I'll wait for the DVD's.

You didn't think the Pavlik - Taylor fights were good? I thought the first fight (Sept. 29, 2007) was fantastic. The second one was good as well. What about the Marquez - Pacquiao fight? And coming up, I believe they are carrying the Margarito - Cotto bout. True, I wish they could have done the Marquez - Vazquez III fight, and Calzaghe - Hopkins was just awful, but three or four good fights within year is more than reasonable.

But, I'm also disappointed that they've ended lots of their series. I'm waiting for a line of new series to come up.

So far only the first episode has been released and I really enjoyed it. It's based on the reporting of an embedded journalist. The first episode deals with the run-up to the invasion and the unit's first interaction with surrendering Iraqis.

You didn't think the Pavlik - Taylor fights were good? I thought the first fight (Sept. 29, 2007) was fantastic. The second one was good as well. What about the Marquez - Pacquiao fight? And coming up, I believe they are carrying the Margarito - Cotto bout. True, I wish they could have done the Marquez - Vazquez III fight, and Calzaghe - Hopkins was just awful, but three or four good fights within year is more than reasonable.

But, I'm also disappointed that they've ended lots of their series. I'm waiting for a line of new series to come up.

Probably one of those subjective deals. I have positive memories of one really good fight after another from about 5 years ago. Honestly I didn't have a lot of time this past year to watch fights so I prob. missed some good ones. You are right Pacquiao is exciting. My opinion about the current state of HBO remains however. Like I said the final insult was cancelling INFL. There was a weekly ritual that I really looked forward to and now it's gone. Yes, I know there are a thousand weekly NFL wrap-up shows. INFL was the gold standard in my opinion. Anyway I'll check out this Generation Kill on DVD; it sounds interesting.

I saw the first one and liked it. Some of the great talents who created The Wire are behind this series, too, so I expect that the character development and intensity levels will increase, as they did in The Wire.

I didn't think the first episode was that good. But the up coming ones look like they'll be better. I'll give it a few more tries.

I am enjoying the series so far. 2 eps in, and they have my attention. It's interesting watching the dialogue and situations played out like this - I know a guy who went to Iraq with the marines, and while it wasn't in the spearhead, what he describes about the standard operating procedure of the marines seems to ring complete true -

IE: battery shortages, over-emphasis on shaving moustaches, rampant and hilariously wrong racist remarks shared all over the unit - often BY the minorities being disparaged, etc etc etc.

I am a Wire fan and have watched the first two episodes of Generation Kill. It's not done badly in any way, but I'm afraid I don't find it compelling. And there are a couple of aspects to it that are starting to bug me--the constant conflict over the facial hair policy and a couple characters that won't ever shut up, notably the driver.

I am a Wire fan and have watched the first two episodes of Generation Kill. It's not done badly in any way, but I'm afraid I don't find it compelling. And there are a couple of aspects to it that are starting to bug me--the constant conflict over the facial hair policy and a couple characters that won't ever shut up, notably the driver.

I LOVE the driver.

of course, that might be because he reminds me of myself... oh crap, am I really that annoying?

:lol:

My Dad was telling me today at work that it's not worth watching. We are/were both big Sopranos fans so we are waiting for the next big thing on HBO. It's been awhile...

Just curious. What did your dad say he didn't like about Generation Kill?

He didn't go into specifics, but my guess is there was a lack of naked women, no rampant drug and alcohol abuse, and not enough heads in bowling ball bags. :biggrin:

Also, if there is even the slightest liberal slant, he probably threw a brick at the tv. :lol:

Wanted to give this thread a bump. I just watched the third episode and I thought it was easily the best episode of the young series. I can't wait for the fourth installment.

That's interesting to hear. I am connected to the project, and it's cool to hear that someone likes it...It ends at seven episodes.

Wanted to give this thread a bump. I just watched the third episode and I thought it was easily the best episode of the young series. I can't wait for the fourth installment.

Top Bottom