What's new

General Eisenhower

Like many in the Boomer generation, my dad served in Europe during WWII. When we were growing up he had what we all thought was a really eccentric method of cooking steaks; he'd put them right on top of the charcoal. They were always very thick (~4") and he claimed that this was how the then President, did his. Until recently, I chose not to follow my father down this particular path. Then last summer the New York Times did a short piece about this method and credited a Texas chef, Tim Byres, with its revival. It is simplicity itself; use natural charcoal with a chimney starter (never fluid) and when the coals are ready just add the meat. They use a dry rub, which comes out great, but truth be told, my dad's dry rub recipe was salt & pepper. I happen to prefer lamb to beef, with the pictures below a butterflied leg that had been wrapped overnight in a Moroccan-style rub. Just before it went I on the fire, the meat got a very thin coating of vegetable oil.

$IMG_6831.jpg$IMG_6833.jpg$IMG_6834.jpg$IMG_6837.jpg

I read that story, too, but haven't tried that method yet. Really need to do so. That lamb looks magnificent. I'll be right over!

Eisenhower's family lived on Texas for a few years and Ike was born there. But he would have been too young to remember anything. His father might have picked something up there though, or either of them later in Kansas perhaps.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Eisenhower's family lived on Texas for a few years and Ike was born there. But he would have been too young to remember anything. His father might have picked something up there though, or either of them later in Kansas perhaps.
And Adm. Nimitz is from my favorite city in Texas- Fredericksburg

And Adm. Nimitz is from my favorite city in Texas- Fredericksburg

Right, I remember seeing the house when I went there with my sister. She and my wife were shopping around Christmas. I only remember the Nimitz house, the place we ate, and a blur nameless of stores, stores, stores. All a haze of jibberish like when Charlie Brown's teacher talked. [emoji6]

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Right, I remember seeing the house when I went there with my sister. She and my wife were shopping around Christmas. I only remember the Nimitz house, the place we ate, and a blur nameless of stores, stores, stores. All a haze of jibberish like when Charlie Brown's teacher talked. [emoji6]
Down the block is a place called Der Linden Baum. They have a fantastic sauerbraten. Bring cash or check, though- no cards accepted.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Down the block is a place called Der Linden Baum. They have a fantastic sauerbraten. Bring cash or check, though- no cards accepted.

Owen, have you been talking to my wife? Just as you posted this post, she said, "hey, let's go to Fredericksburg and eat German food for your Birthday." I'm not one to argue with the women I love when she suggests food....Der Lindenbaum here we come...you're invited.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Owen, have you been talking to my wife? Just as you posted this post, she said, "hey, let's go to Fredericksburg and eat German food for your Birthday." I'm not one to argue with the women I love when she suggests food....Der Lindenbaum here we come...you're invited.
You won't be disappointed. I always have a Spaten Optimator with it. Oh, and extra German potato salad

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom