What's new

Genco No. 35 Bradford Pa

Hi all, I’m new to straight razors. Picked this one up on eBay and was curious about it. After reading a thread here I’m assuming it’s from about 1935 or later. Can anyone share some more knowledge about this specific model from Genco?

Attachments

• 8E3D0A87-7400-40EB-9C57-C8753FBF54FC.png
    8E3D0A87-7400-40EB-9C57-C8753FBF54FC.png
    703.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 2623F007-7B8F-4DE9-9E9F-40A5E4B1AF9F.png
    2623F007-7B8F-4DE9-9E9F-40A5E4B1AF9F.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
It's just a name that was a holdover from when Genco owned the brand..like "Chief", "Old Dutch" "Head Barber" etc. They were usually a full hollow 5/8 hone point. Some Genco's had names and some just model numbers "603" "305" etc. The just numbered models usually had a fixed configuration with few to no options i.e. scale material point style...

search for Genco catalog images via google. It will tell you how much the razor originally sold for a dozen. I have two Gencos. Very hollow ground razors that give you lots of tactile and sonic feedback. One of them looks like your grind but mine has a gold washed tang. Both of mine took stellar edges and were a breeze to hone. Never underestimate the abundant and cheap American razors from the early mid 20th century.

1902-1935.....

By the way genco is horrible razor.
I would stop buying these
Their grinds are not thin
They do not sharpen well
They do not shave well
I’d be glad to take it off you hands

1902-1935.....

By the way genco is horrible razor.
I would stop buying these
Their grinds are not thin
They do not sharpen well
They do not shave well
I’d be glad to take it off you hands

Lol I’ve scene similar PSA’s on here and some other places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Genco ‘Vanadium’ and a ‘Fluid Steel’ and the blades looks identical to the one @Col B has posted. The only difference appears to be the scales.

It’s a fantastic blade, takes a great edge and provides a wonderful audible feedback.

I have a Genco ‘Vanadium’ and a ‘Fluid Steel’ and the blades looks identical to the one @Col B has posted. The only difference appears to be the scales.

It’s a fantastic blade, takes a great edge and provides a wonderful audible feedback.

I think it’s fantastic, but it’s my first. Had my first “real” shave with it this morning. I’m only neck shaving right now (beard season) and made 3 passes no nicks. A little nerve racking but I’ll get this angle thing down. Ps those fluid steel blades have caught my eye too. This may end up an addiction

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Geneva became GENCO when Case bought Geneva. I’ve had both but preferred the Geneva although the GENCO was very good. You can’t beat the prices on either. I have some very nice razors but my Geneva is up there with the best of them.

Genco was a trademark of Geneva Cutlery. They sold the trademark, all existing razor stock and its razor division to Case. I’d have to check the dates but the Genco trademark was at least pre WWI.

Genco was a trademark of Geneva Cutlery. They sold the trademark, all existing razor stock and its razor division to Case. I’d have to check the dates but the Genco trademark was at least pre WWI.

I’ve heard it was 1935, but I don’t know for certain.

They sold to Case in 35 but the Genco Trademark and name were around long before Case bought them.

I read a write up on here that case moved production from Geneva to their facility in Bradford in 35 and kept the trade marks. Continued production there until 64ish but that’s as far as I’ve gotten.

Top Bottom