What's new

GEMs vs AC

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I find Gem blades to be acceptably sharp. I get my best Gem shaves with a comb, so at the moment either the Gem MMOC or the PAA Starling V2 OC. Lately I've gone back to some SB Gem style: ATT G1 and lately a Little Lather Catcher. I've discovered there are still depths to sound, there. Enjoying a walk on the mild side.

I want to spend a little more time in AC space. I had a good first experience with the SE1 (with a Feather Pro) and worked it a couple of blades to see where the trouble spots are. I also have an SE2, which I have mainly to keep me humble. [grin] I tend to "face-strop" a couple of shaves in the SE1 before uploading to the SE2. One scary mother, that.

I tried the Proline blades and found them beyond wickedly sharp. Being subject to tiny twitches, I found the Proline to be exquisitely responsive to my movements. Too much so! I like a responsive edge but the idea is not to damage myself. So I'm taking the aforementioned mildness vacation (which has some compensations) and intending to start over again with the Feather Pro before trying out what I think may be some insights into the Proline.

ALL of my blades, with the exception of some DE that I don't actually use much anymore, have to come via post. I can get Feather Pro blades by mail from Canada; the Prolines come halfway around the planet from Japan. You guys who can bop into a Walgreen's and pick up some SE blades have it pretty good. But then I've got a mountain valley and I'd have to pack a lunch to walk to the nearest neighbour's, so there. [grin]

O.H.

I find Gem blades to be acceptably sharp. I get my best Gem shaves with a comb, so at the moment either the Gem MMOC or the PAA Starling V2 OC. Lately I've gone back to some SB Gem style: ATT G1 and lately a Little Lather Catcher. I've discovered there are still depths to sound, there. Enjoying a walk on the mild side.

O.H.

When I first started making shaving a hobby about 8 years ago, I preferred a more aggressive razor. I used to like the feel of the blade scraping my face. But lately I have been leaning more toward the milder razors. They sill get the job done and little chance of cutting yourself up.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The first Gem blades I've used were the carbon steel. They require more care post shave than the stainless but I find them to be very very smooth.

I have used a RazoRock Blackhawk and have found that the contours under the chin and on the neck are not well addressed by the wide blade edge of the AC format. So I have decided not to continue with any other AC razors. With GEM razors I have gladly jumped in and have a wide variety of GEM razors and I get good results with all the models. I appreciate the clarity of the designed shave angle and the efficient shave. So I'll stick with GEM and Schick injectors as my baseline razors, razors that can not equal the baseline must go.

For people who body and leg shave, I would think the AC safety razor could be an ideal choice.

I have used a RazoRock Blackhawk and have found that the contours under the chin and on the neck are not well addressed by the wide blade edge of the AC format. So I have decided not to continue with any other AC razors. With GEM razors I have gladly jumped in and have a wide variety of GEM razors and I get good results with all the models. I appreciate the clarity of the designed shave angle and the efficient shave. So I'll stick with GEM and Schick injectors as my baseline razors, razors that can not equal the baseline must go.

For people who body and leg shave, I would think the AC safety razor could be an ideal choice.
i have thought of getting one of the razorock hawks.so you didnt like it?

oh ok i might get one im still on the edge about it.

A lot of guys mention the width as a problem with the AC format. I don't see any problem at all even when I go across the grain on my neck. It works great for me. I think it's the best format only because the blades are so sharp.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I first thought I might find it too wide, I didn't. If you think about it, how wide is a straight razor? They are used without issue. It's certainly possible someone might find it wider than they like. The Aluminum Hawk is 20 - 30 dollars depending if you find it on sale or not. It's probably the cheapest way to get a quality AC format razor. If it's not for you, you aren't out a whole lot.

I first thought I might find it too wide, I didn't. If you think about it, how wide is a straight razor? They are used without issue. It's certainly possible someone might find it wider than they like. The Aluminum Hawk is 20 - 30 dollars depending if you find it on sale or not. It's probably the cheapest way to get a quality AC format razor. If it's not for you, you aren't out a whole lot.
cool. thanks for info

Top Bottom