What's new

GEMs vs AC

Steve, I've got many Gem blade razors, including the 1907 Lather Catcher, British 1912, 1914 Little Lather Catcher, 1924 Shovelhead, and MicroMatic Open Comb, among others. The MMOC is my favorite, although I like all of the ones I mentioned. Given the cost of entry, I heartily recommend trying an MMOC, just for sport.

P.S. If you decide to take the plunge, let me know and I'll send you a few Gem PTFE blades from Ted Pella...

I really like the deco style of the MMOC and the antenna handle, but understand they can be aggressive. I bought a 1912 Ever Ready and maybe will try the MMOC in the future. What really amazes me is how old the original GEMs are, how well they are built, and how good they still look. The TTO feature on the MMOC is also a cool functional solution to the older designs.

The new designs I have seen look fine, but I without using any of them, I can only say I seem the favor the old models. The ATT looks nice, and I imagine pushing the handle forward may be a good thing, but it also appears over complicated with the 4 pc design and is expensive. The Chiseled Face design has the handle also pushed forward and seems more straightforward, but will also probably be expensive and less ornate then some of the old models that have already proven their durability. The PAA is the simplest and probably be the cheapest, but I am not sure it offers anything over the vintage. If the price is right though, it could be very interesting to try if well designed.

Sorry for babbling. I appreciate the kind offer for the blades to try. It really shows the great community we are lucky to have here and the support we offer each other. I do need to shop for some. Again all recommendations are welcome. I will need to check out what has already been posted. Thank you again.
Steve

In my short wet shaving experience (since Oct. 2016) I've tried the AC blades (Hawk, El Jefe, Shavette) and Injector blades (Schick J1). Not really impressed, I still prefer good old DE blades.
Then I've tried a Gem Jr. with Gem blades and I had an epiphany! Now I want a 1914, a 1924, a MMOC, a Damaskeene...give me them all!
By the way it's all a matter of preferences and the usual YMMV. Drop a tenner on the bay and give them a try. Mind the rabbit hole though!

I already fell in! Too late...

If you want to try a GEM razor you have to first decide if you want a mild one such as the G-bar and bullet tip, or in the mid range such as an Eveready 1912 or aggressive such as an Eveready 1914 or 1924 or MMOC.

Thanks Ron for the recommendations. As you can see, I went for the 1912....
Steve

I've decided to wait for the Charcoal Goods version of the Gem blade razor. I've got plenty of the vintage versions to enjoy, so I'm happy to wait for as long as it takes.

I've decided to wait for the Charcoal Goods version of the Gem blade razor. I've got plenty of the vintage versions to enjoy, so I'm happy to wait for as long as it takes.

Hi Scott - Like you, I am interested in the CG GEM razor too. If it looks anything like the dummy model posted 4/1, I'm in!

Hi Scott - Like you, I am interested in the CG GEM razor too. If it looks anything like the dummy model posted 4/1, I'm in!
download (8).jpg

I'm sure that the "new" production models will be great and I fully support revamping this GEM - SE format, but in reality I doubt that they will shave any better, closer than the vintage GEM's we all love. The originals, such as the 1912 are pretty close to perfection; for a close, smooth, irratation free shave as you can get.

I tried the El Jefe and Hawk razors, with Kai Captain and Feather Pro blades, and hated the shaves. The Kai blade was rough and painful to use. The Feather Pro blade was better, but not good enough to try to use it very long without scarring my face up.

My 1912 and GEM Jr (a later-release 1912) are perfect for me. With a PTFE SS blade, I get great shaves with minimal, if any, issues. My Clog-Pruf is almost as good as my 1912 Jr. The G-Bar and Contour are nice, but I prefer the 1912/Jr and CPMM. The 1914 was rough until I shimmed the blade, then it was mad efficient.

So I just don't care for the AC blades or razors. YMMV, of course.

My first SE was a Hawk and I bought the Feather Pro blades. I really like it and think it is an amazing value. It turned me on to SE's. I then found a nice Schick E2 injector and like that as well but found it could be aggressive and bite you if you are not careful. Overall it works great, but I don't like having to leave a blade in it all the time. I also get less shave with the injector blades and they cost more per shave then the AC's. I then bought a OneBlade for my 50th birthday because they were on sale and pretty unique. I like the razor but I am bummed on the weak blade life, and price of the blades. The cost to use this razor is like carts and even more considering you can shave with older carts, but not with worn Feather FHS10 blades. It gave me some bad razor burn trying to see how far I could push a blade (stupid experiment). All these SE's do provide a great shave and variety. I am looking forward to how a true GEM style shaves. It sounds promising from all the positive remarks. Once I wear out the first blade, I will play with it to see what the issues are with using GEMs with the spine broke off on V2 of the OneBlade. GEMs are roughly half the cost and some say they even last longer in V1 of the OneBlade then the default unique Feathers.

The GEM (and other SE) razors are different than the Artist Club.

The Artist Club is a shavette(sort of a "clone" of a straight razor).
The AC uses a flexible insert blade, while a GEM has a stiff blade.

I have used a shavette (different brand) and find that the stiff blade of the GEM (and other SE razors) provide a better shave for me. I have no interest in buying the modern versions of the classic razors.
I am not quite understand what do you mean flexible insert blade with regard to AC. Of course, You can flex AC blade lenghtwis, when it's NOT on razor but when it's in ANY razor it has zero amount of flex lenghtwise and widthwise

Here is another thing to consider: While AC blades are readily available from multiple sources online, Gem blades may be found at just about any CVS or Rite-Aid drugstore, as well as some Walgreen's and mom & pop drugstores.

I carry a Gem style razor in my carry-on bag when flying (I don't check a bag), secure in the knowledge that I can find some blades between the airport and my hotel.

--Bob
Great idea, Bob.

What are the new GEM razors? I must have been away from this forum for too long!

Blackland is coming out with a 3 piece in the next month or two.
ATT also has one coming out soon.

Both, if I am not mistaken, should be around $200.

This is a great thread ... thank you for the insight ... I had no idea GEM razors were a thing until this week. Now, I'm very curious.

Does anyone think these would be a safer and/or easier way to shave the ol' head bone? I've tried DE's on my head, but I don't have the knack for doing it without lots of nicks. DE's on my face; no problem.

Blackland is coming out with a 3 piece in the next month or two.
ATT also has one coming out soon.

Both, if I am not mistaken, should be around $200.

This is a great thread ... thank you for the insight ... I had no idea GEM razors were a thing until this week. Now, I'm very curious.

Does anyone think these would be a safer and/or easier way to shave the ol' head bone? I've tried DE's on my head, but I don't have the knack for doing it without lots of nicks. DE's on my face; no problem.

I bet a Gem Featherweight or G-Bar would work well for head shaving.

I received the 1912 Ever Ready today. It looks new and the handle is a work of art. It really feels solid. I will just clean it up for safe measure. I ordered some blades from Amazon that should be in tomorrow! It looks like I will be playing around this weekend with a new (old) baby.

BTW, don't get me wrong from the earlier posts. It is not that I am not interested in the new offerings, I was just trying to understand the appeal of the GEM blade form factor. Well, there's no better way to understand but to jump right in and experiment. If I really like this razor, I might try one of the newer ones and compare. Even with this razor being like new, it is still is much less expensive then at least all of the newer models except maybe the PAA - so I figured it was definitely worth trying first. Plus it is cool owning a nice example of shaving history.

For the long haul, what do the experienced guys recommend for blades? Coated, non-coated, brand, etc.? pbrmhl mentioned Ted Pella. I went to the web site and was blown away with options. Remember I really know very little about these razors and blades other then buy the blades made for shaving, not box cutting and paint scraping! Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks.
Steve

IMG_5319.jpg

Thanks Ron for the recommendations. As you can see, I went for the 1912....
Steve
I received the 1912 Ever Ready today. It looks new and the handle is a work of art. It really feels solid. I will just clean it up for safe measure. I ordered some blades from Amazon that should be in tomorrow! It looks like I will be playing around this weekend with a new (old) baby.

BTW, don't get me wrong from the earlier posts. It is not that I am not interested in the new offerings, I was just trying to understand the appeal of the GEM blade form factor. Well, there's no better way to understand but to jump right in and experiment. If I really like this razor, I might try one of the newer ones and compare. Even with this razor being like new, it is still is much less expensive then at least all of the newer models except maybe the PAA - so I figured it was definitely worth trying first. Plus it is cool owning a nice example of shaving history.

For the long haul, what do the experienced guys recommend for blades? Coated, non-coated, brand, etc.? pbrmhl mentioned Ted Pella. I went to the web site and was blown away with options. Remember I really know very little about these razors and blades other then buy the blades made for shaving, not box cutting and paint scraping! Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks.
Steve

View attachment 786507

Steve, I've purchased two boxes of the Ted Pella PTFE coated blades, product no. 121-3. Note that they "cut through epoxies nicely." That language on their website is new, I'm fairly certain, or I wouldn't have bought them. Twice. Anyway, they are the smoothest of all my blades, whether DE, AC, FHS-10 or Gem. And the price is right.

Top Bottom