What's new

GEMini (May 21st - June 20th)

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, since the site was down I didn't get the daily reminder, but I did continue with the SE's. All Micromatics that live hereabouts were used over the last week. Clog-Prufs that are inscribed Clog-Pruf, one that has the triangular holes but nary a name inside, a Flying Wedge with the Guiding Eye, and a blind example of same. The MM Open Comb of course, one of mine is always out in the "short rotation". I picked up a couple things from the month's exercise, besides that I'm not inclined to use only one type for a month, though it is possible .. I missed the Injector most of all ..

First, I found that a couple of the later GEMs, particularly the Featherweight, that I had not enjoyed in prior outings shave pretty well with a fresh sharp blade. Ditto the 1912's that I hadn't used in a while. Second, based on comments from different posters is that I need to explore other SE blades as I just don't get the mileage that others do - 3 shaves is about it with the EMS group buys, though I get good mileage with DE Feathers. Finally, it must be noted that Gemini doesn't end officially until the moment of the Summer Solstice, so as I will have an early shave tomorrow one more fore the road - then I can try the British #15 I got a week back from the BST :).

Thanks Lou once again for your sponsorship:clap::clap: Twins, right?

Attachments

• $IMG_5159.jpg
    $IMG_5159.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 63
What razor to use this last day of GEMini? I reached for the Gem Damaskeene and put it back. The British made Ever-Ready Streamline got the nod. A damn fine razor for a DFS. Thirty days of GEM and SE shaving and I still don't feel the need to use a DE. Hmmmmm

Day 31

• 1910-style Gem Junior bar lather catcher
  • Same CVS blade as Day 30
  • Custom fan-shaped two-band finest
  • Queen Charlotte's Monaco shaving cream
  • Homemade cardamom peppercorn bay rum aftershave splash
  • C&E West Indies Lime cologne

A big thanks to DunEdinRanger for kicking off GEMini!! I really don't use my SEs often enough, and this forced me to get into some of the models that I hadn't really gotten to know that well. The later model lather catchers were really a big surprise for me -- I just love them. Unfortunately I've built up a pretty big backlog of some nice DEs over the past month, so it might be a little while until I can get back to them.

I regret that I have but one face to shave with my razors. :tongue_sm

P

Pjotr

Is there a specific timezone rule in force? I don't think so. I'm sneaking another one in because as far as most of you are concerned it's the 20th June right now. Unless there's somebody living on the Farao Islands (or wherever the last time timezone is) this must be the last GEMini post.

Push Button
GEM SS (4x)
Vulfix 2189
Speick ss
Alum block
Nivea Cool Kick

For some reason during this this little SE shave fest I managed to snag the last two razors I had been chasing for a while (Push Button and Flying Wing). There is obviously a deiity called GEMini looking after me and I might even start reading star signs now! Now all I need's one of those wicked looking lather catchers. The next one's Cancer I believe. Common Cancer, ya ugly looking crab, get me a lather catcher! By the way, according to the star sign dating chart I pulled up, Gemini rules (is that the correct terminology?) from 22 May to 22 June.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clog Pruf
Group buy blade
Cella stick
Badger brush
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

This is the 16th day I've shaved with this blade. 32 passes.

It definitely needs changed but it is amazing how the blade hasn't turned on me yet. Still getting the job done.

I'd be tempted to keep using it until it really gives out, but that's it for me.

I love the SE's but I love my other razors too.

I have a new Hydromagic I haven't used yet, kind of an SE, that's where I'll be tomorrow.

Over and out :thumbup1:

P

Pjotr

Sixteen!! Maybe that's the new record. I would have thought after sixteen shaves all it would be doing is removing the lather from your face. Amazing.

3+ passes for BBS. For the GEMini finale, I got my Itty Bitty Avon Shave-On:

proxy.php

• Vintage Avon Gentlemen's Regiment Badger Brush
  • Vintage Avon Original Lather Shaving Cream (sample size)
  • Vintage Avon Original After Shaving Lotion (sample size)
  • Vintage Avon Hair Trainer
That little old tube had the nice woody/pine/menthol fragrance of the aftershave, but not much cushion or glide in the nice-looking lather. It may have aged badly, but I survived it! Now, back to our regularly rotated shaving program....

6/20/11

"Hot-Rod Treet 1912"- Beefed to 63 grams and a door swap with a Damaskeene, custom made just for a salute to GEMini.
Gem SS (5)

$Hotrodded Treet.jpg

I'm with the Garyg- I'm not quite finished, will carry on tomorrow for the last and final GEMini hurrah.

Last edited:
Finished GEMini with the 15th (I think) shave on the second "twin" blade. Used my Lather Catcher with RazoRock XXX soap/cream and the Simpsons Berkley brush. Finished off by trying Humco Bay Rum for the first time, must have been a good shave since there wasn't the slightest hint of burn from the BR.
I had a great time with GEMini, but now I'm off to some of my other SE razors that have been neglected over the past month. I also need to work on my technique with a "disposable" straight razor from Parker I picked up for travel.

For curiosity's sake, I went back over my GEMini notes for a quick-and-dirty ranking of handles and blades based on shave quality. I assigned 3 points for a Great shave, 2 points for a Good shave, and 1 point for a Bad shave, then took an average score. Results:

#6 = GEM Junior Baton: 2.00 (2 shaves; 1 Great, 1 Bad)
#3 = Featherweight: 2.25 (4 shaves; 2 Great, 1 Good, 1 Bad)
#3 = 1924: 2.25 (4 shaves; 1 Great, 3 Good)
#3 = MM Clog Pruf: 2.25 (4 shaves; 1 Great, 3 Good)
#2 = 1912: 2.33 (6 shaves; 4 Great, 2 Bad)
#1 = MM Open Comb: 2.86 (7 shaves; 6 Great, 1 Good)

#2 = CVS carbon blade: 2.00 (12 shaves; 4 Great, 4 Good, 4 Bad)
#1 = GEM stainless coated blade: 2.73 (15 shaves; 11 Great, 4 Good)

Not quite scientific, as you see. I had 2 versions of 1912s and MMOCs so they got more usage. I dissed off the Junior Baton after the 1st bad shave, so it got short shrift. All the Bad shaves came with CVS blades, but the MMOC did "Great" with them 3-for-3 times.

Gotta unravel that 3-way tie for 3rd place under more controlled conditions. I think I need to do more testing. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom