What's new

Gem

It does not get much praise but I had a 2 day beard growth and thought I'd give the GEM Single Edge Razor a try once more.
My technique has improved and I picked up a couple new 10 packs of GEM stainless steel blades at Walgreen's.
WOW, A BBS shave. It did take about three passes but it was perfect.
Don't pass on the chance for a fine Shave!!
Try a single edge Gem.

John

My Gem has a gold head , black handle and a push button to open and close.
Not sure of the appropriate model.

Added this late:

View attachment 92615

Last edited:
The best we've come up with for that particular model is "push-button Gem". :smile:

That's close to the last (newest) model they made.

There are a number of Gemocrats in the woodwork here, though I guess the membership's turned over a bit. Glad you like!

- Chris

A Gemocrat chiming in here... 1912, 1924, Gbar all great shaves... only beaten by a str8 IMHO, but only by a whisker

I've got that black and gold model, as well as the stainless/gray plastic pushbutton that strongly resembles Pal's injectors (makes it a more handsome model). Wish I knew how good they can do - every SE blade I've tried has bled me.

I'm a certified gillette nut...probably certifiable...but I did try a 1912 the other day and was quite impressed. It makes a damn fine headshaver as well!!

I wish there was a "order of operations" on the Gem family tree. What to start with (1912), then, next and finally.... I'm a newbie piecing the puzzle together. The most significant step would be great, we all understand to each his own. But consensus goes a long way.

Kind regards,

I wish there was a "order of operations" on the Gem family tree. What to start with (1912), then, next and finally.... I'm a newbie piecing the puzzle together. The most significant step would be great, we all understand to each his own. But consensus goes a long way.

Kind regards,

start with a 1912 style, Gem or EverReady....you will love it

Kind regards,

The older, the better as long as it isn't prior to 1900. I too would advise starting with the 1912 patent model. It doesn't matter which tradename or handle style as long as it has that 1912 head. These razors were made for several decades and so, are still plentiful and inexpensive to aquire. In my opinion, after about fifty-five years or so of wet shaving and trying many different DE's, SE's, injectors and cartridge razors, the only razor which outperforms the 1912 is it's predecessor, the 1900/1901 patent Gem Jr. Bar Razor. This is my favorite and my everyday razor but, I realize it is somewhat harder to find and will likely cost somewhat more to aquire.

Regards,
Tom

. . . My Gem has a gold head , black handle and a push button to open and close.
Not sure of the appropriate model.

I have one of those, also, haven't tried it yet, but will. Love my 1912s, though. I have one of 1901 models that Tom Myers mentions. Haven't tried it yet either, but I will, I will. RAD has gone into remission, but left me with a backlog of things to try.

Last edited:
Gems are under appreciated (but that keeps the price low) and I don't know how many I currently own (terminal RAD):001_unsur

And use the best SE blades you can buy...the hardcore SE users will tell you which and where.

As far as SE blades are concerned, I would advise getting some "Gem by Personna" coated stainless steel blades. These can usually be found at Walgreens and some other retailers. The similar Gem PTFE coated stainless blades sold in bulk quantities by Ted Pella and some other online sources are equally good. Some of the carbon steel blades such as the Gem Blue Stars are able to give a fine shave but, in my experience, don't last for as many comfortable shaves and also, they can rust if left wet in the razor.

Load that 1912 with a Gem coated stainless blade, and experiment with the angle at which you hold the razor (go by the sound of the blade cutting the whiskers), and you should be able to get the best shave you've ever had.

Regards,
Tom

Another big fan of the 1912 reporting in - I rank it higher then my slant, superspeed and fatboy. I've still not quite figured out the micromatic, it's a little more unforgiving for me but with more practice I'm thinking it will give great shaves.

I've been using a GEM junior "lather catcher" this week with a PAL blue carbon steel blade and have been getting very, very good shaves.

I believe GEM's are vastly under-rated; they always provide very good, close, comfortable shaves.

There was talk of group buy for the GEM PTFE coated stainless blades.

Another Gem fan here. I use a Gem G-bar, Micromatic and an Ever-Ready 1912. I like them all and do not notice much difference between them. I'm in on that group buy for the Gem Blades.

Top Bottom