What's new

Gem vs. Ever-Ready vs. Star SE Razors

I understand these SE razors in most cases essentially are the same, probably made in the same factory, during roughly the first 50 years of the 20th century.

However, do any of you have a clear preference for one of these 3 brands? If so, which brand, and why?

Salty, I also believe they shave much "the same." But it seems to me that the Ever-Ready brand had a slightly higher quality of design and materials, though I hasten to admit claim that is 100% subjective. I can cite no evidence to back up my claim.

I also have the impression that Gem made the most razors, Star made the fewest, and Ever-Ready was in between for total units made over the decades.

I understand these SE razors in most cases essentially are the same, probably made in the same factory, during roughly the first 50 years of the 20th century.

However, do any of you have a clear preference for one of these 3 brands? If so, which brand, and why?
Gem and Ever-Ready merged with Star and became the American Safety Razor Corporation in 1919. They are indeed products of the same company. Personna and Treet were absorbed in 1953. One big happy family. Razors differ more according to place of manufacture (UK vs US) than branding.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The differences stem from minor and less so minor adjustments to the design over the years.
I prefer the earlier ones which mine happen to be by Ever Ready than the more recent of which I have samples of both ER and GEM.

I've never been able to discern any quality difference among the various American Safety Razor lines. My guess is that it was a marketing thing, bolstered by the fact that ASR was aggressively acquiring other brands in the early 20th Century. It was like General Motors: Sell the same basic product with different marques, because some people are Pontiac people and some people don't want to drive Pontiacs. So sell those people an Oldsmobile, even if it was the same basic car.

Remember, this was an age of the mail order catalogue. If you have 3 razors to sell (filling up a page), and your competitor has only 1 (whose ad looks small and therefore suspicious), you could sell more razors, even if the three were functionally identical and maufactured in the same plant.

Why does Gillette produce in its St. Petersburg plant so many different brands of blades?

It was admitted in the course of a lawsuit defending its trademarks that the only thing differentiating various blades manufactured by ASR under their various brands was the marketing and blade wrappers. Star=Ever Ready=Gem. That wouldn't stop people imagining differences between them which is why ASR engaged in the practice. Same for razors.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
All these three razors arrived in the mail last week. While I am yet to shave with a Gem style razor ( blades are in travsit) - I found the every ready and gem razors a joy to look at. It is such complex engineering and the handles are so well designed. Star head is the same but looks like a cheap knock off of the gem with less design on the handles etc. I think it was all about a standard , deluxe and super deluxe style offering to suit ones pocket.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Brother Luv,

That's an interesting way to look at it.

I casually just looked at my collection. The Ever-Ready is the Cadillac. The Gem is the Oldsmobile. And the Star is the Chevrolet. Primarily that is based on the fanciness of the handles, and to a lesser degree the quality of the plating. The geometry of the heads appears to be the same.

Brother Luv,

That's an interesting way to look at it.

I casually just looked at my collection. The Ever-Ready is the Cadillac. The Gem is the Oldsmobile. And the Star is the Chevrolet. Primarily that is based on the fanciness of the handles, and to a lesser degree the quality of the plating. The geometry of the heads appears to be the same.

Thanks

Top Bottom