What's new

gem users

so i finally gave in and bought a lot of three gems off the bay just recently. is there anything i should know about technique before i attempt a shave? do you use a similar technique as with a de? any information would be appreciated. i like having a face. it helps me pretend im handsome.

For me, the shave is primarily different from a DE in the angle the razor makes to my face. Do not hold the flat against your face, but tilt away 10-15 degrees and go slow with short strokes. You'll know you've got it right when you hear it!

As to holding it, I tend to hold both my DEs and SEs up near the head between thumb and forefinger with my pinkie or ring finger doing the fine angle adjustments as I make my way around my face. If you hold your DE near the end of the handle, then you'll have some adjustments to make.

By the way, you'll need to be pushing your nose out of the way (unless you have a mustache like I do! :001_rolle )

so i finally gave in and bought a lot of three gems off the bay just recently. is there anything i should know about technique before i attempt a shave? do you use a similar technique as with a de? any information would be appreciated. i like having a face. it helps me pretend im handsome.

The technique is very different from using a DE. As was said, you have to hold the blade at a much closer angle to your face. [thread=106939]Here's[/thread] a thread with some good information. There's more; just do a search in this forum with GEM in the title bar.

They are nice shaving razors and offer enjoyable variety from DE shaving.

Good luck.

jim

R

rainman

Which gems did you get? The technique can differ slightly from one gem to the next.

My hairs grow up so close to my nose that no amount of nose pushing can accommodate a WTG pass with a gem. There is just not that much distance between mustache and nose hairs, and I suspect I shave a bit of both at times. :rolleyes:
It's XTG all the way for me.

head just off the face, light touch ESPECIALLY on the neck. the learning curve is a bit longer than with a DE, so be patient, its well worth it :biggrin:

Which gems did you get? The technique can differ slightly from one gem to the next.

they finally came today and it turns out they are all juniors. i cleaned one up to use tonight and cant wait. i have to go get blades for it now, any recommendations on blades? locally i can get cvs blades and i think heb caries them. i dont know of any other place.

If CVS sells the "Personna by Gem" blades, you're set. Most if not all suitable blades for Gems are made by the Gem company, AKA American Safety Razor. As for online retailers, tedpella.com and emsdiasum.com seem to have the best reps- you want the PTFE-coated stainless SE blades.

Have fun! SEs are my jam and I am so happy I took the plunge into trying these funny-looking hunks of brass that take what looks like a paint scraper blade (but isn't). Best shaves ever.

i swung by heb and got the blue star since they were. i also picked up my first bottle of thayers witch hazel. if everything goes as well as ive read about so many times this should be a fantastic shave!

R

rainman

i swung by heb and got the blue star since they were. i also picked up my first bottle of thayers witch hazel. if everything goes as well as ive read about so many times this should be a fantastic shave!

Blue Stars are not very good. They will rust quickly.

so i just finished my first shave with the gem. loaded it with a blue star and did three passes (wtg, xtg, atg) followed by another touch up pass on my neck with my recently received and throughly loved mama bears diogenes club soap and all i can say is...WOW!. despite a few spots of irritation and a weaper on my "soft spot" (just left of my sams apple) that i usually get to a degree, it was the smoothest and closest shave ive gotten in quite a while. and if youre right rainman, i see my fatboy going on quite the diet in the near to semi distant future. :w00t:

The Blue Stars are carbon steel blades, so they're prone (that is, _certain_) to rust. That said, their edge is very keen, so you can get great shaves with them. They don't last very long for me, I only get a couple of shaves per blade.

-- John Gehman

I've had great luck with the Gem single edge blades (by Personna, though not sure the package says so) at Walgreen's. They seem to be the second favorite here on the board, behind the Ted Pella's which I haven't tried (mail order in quantity only).

I just picked up a couple of Gem razors myself and used one for the first time this morning. I used the Gem Personna blades from Walgreen's along with my normal routine. I got very nice shave, no razor burn, no visible damage.
How many shaves should I expect from one of these blades?

im still finding out the life of the blades but so far ive gotten two of the best shaves ive had in a while out of a blue star. only slight irritation and still a few nicks in the one spot on my neck because of my lack of technique with the razor. any tips for shaving atg on your neck when the stubble grows from left to right? i guess i could try my left hand but i dont know if i trust it that much yet. every know and then i get the idea its trying to turn on me.

I get 3 good shaves from the GEM/PERSONNA blades from Walgreens.
I try for 4 shaves but have ended up changing blades out mid-shave.

If CVS sells the "Personna by Gem" blades, you're set. Most if not all suitable blades for Gems are made by the Gem company, AKA American Safety Razor. As for online retailers, tedpella.com and emsdiasum.com seem to have the best reps- you want the PTFE-coated stainless SE blades.

Have fun! SEs are my jam and I am so happy I took the plunge into trying these funny-looking hunks of brass that take what looks like a paint scraper blade (but isn't). Best shaves ever.

emsdiasum.com - http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx?mm=10#71990 $23 for 100 blades

Ted Pella - http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#anchor1623602

Top Bottom